Why Hubble was cancelled, and what to do now

Old February 2nd 04, 01:53 AM
Derek Lyons

Default Why Hubble was cancelled, and what to do now

(Greg Kuperberg) wrote:

In article ,
Derek Lyons wrote:

[Hale] only carries a small fraction because it's one of many
instruments, looking at only a fraction of the wavelengths of interest
to astronomers today.

Which is the same as saying that it's not that great of a telescope
anymore.

No, it's nowhere near the same as saying that. Your ability to twsit
words, snip out of context, and dodge unpleasent facts is amazing.

Care ti adress my *entire* statement? (restored below)

(Derek Lyons) wrote:

(Greg Kuperberg) wrote:

In article ,
Henry Spencer wrote:

Anywhere [other than in space], it may not be right at the leading edge
any more, but it remains in service.

As an afterthought. The Hale telescope on Mount Palomar used
to be the big great telescope of American astronomy. But now
it only carries a small fraction of astronomy research, even though
it is by far the best of the old telescopes.

Which is a bit of a dodge... It only carries a small fraction because
it's one of many instruments, looking at only a fraction of the
wavelengths of interest to astronomers today. Yet a look at it's Jan
2004 schedule shows that it's booked solid.
(
http://www.palomar.caltech.edu:8000/calendar.tcl) Matter of fact,
it's booked *solid* this scheduling block (1st & 2nd Q 2003) with the
exception of four days (Likely because the moon is high in the
Palomar sky those four days if I read the schedule right.)

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old February 2nd 04, 02:15 AM
Greg Kuperberg

In article ,
Derek Lyons wrote:
(Greg Kuperberg) wrote:
Care to adress my *entire* statement? (restored below)

If you insist.

(Derek Lyons) wrote:
Which is a bit of a dodge... [Hale] only carries a small fraction because
it's one of many instruments, looking at only a fraction of the
wavelengths of interest to astronomers today. Yet a look at it's Jan
2004 schedule shows that it's booked solid.
(http://www.palomar.caltech.edu:8000/calendar.tcl) Matter of fact,
it's booked *solid* this scheduling block (1st & 2nd Q 2003) with the
exception of four days (Likely because the moon is high in the
Palomar sky those four days if I read the schedule right.)

Yes, Hale is a valuable telescope that is still booked far in advance.
Unlike a space telescope, it's vastly cheaper to maintain it
than to build a new one. Like the Empire State Building, it
is a lasting feat of engineering, but its newer rivals
have completely different designs.
--
/\ Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
/ \
Old February 2nd 04, 03:06 AM
Greg Kuperberg

In article ,
Derek Lyons wrote:
In every area of science, old instruments are destined to play only a
supporting role.

Which is why the sampling corers used by oceanographers haven't
changed in decades. Ditto for Nansen bottles.

From a web page on Nansen bottles:

Nansen bottles, invented by the Norwegian oceanographer Fridtjof
Nansen, are cylindrical containers that sample sea temperature and
salinity. They were typical of tools used in the mid-twentieth century
from which data were obtained to model ocean circulation. They
have generally been replaced by modern electronic instruments,
but measurements are still made from ships in the same manner.
( http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/students/...satellite2.htm )

That sounds like a supporting role to me, at best. Personally I
think that mapping satellites are exciting, cutting-edge instruments in
oceanography. (E.g. the JASON satellite mentioned at the same web site.)
If you like Nansen bottles better, then I suppose you could argue to
cut NASA's funding.
--
/\ Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
/ \
Old February 2nd 04, 05:36 PM
Greg Kuperberg

In article ufvTb.37986$F15.843@fed1read06, Chosp wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
(Greg Kuperberg) wrote:
My real point is that research requires new instruments because it's
about seeing new things. After you get the new photo one or two times,
it's not research any more.

That is why WFPC 3 and the Cosmic Origins Spectrograph were built.
That is why they should be installed on HUBBLE. Almost $200 million
worth of state-of-the-art equipment is sitting on the ground waiting.

Yes, they are new instruments. Given that the instruments have already
been built, and given that they aren't mothballing the space shuttle
immediately as they should, it would have been better to go ahead and
service Hubble. The scientists, who have to be forward-thinking,
adapted as well as they could to the nostalgic astronaut program.
But they were still screwed.
--
/\ Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
/ \
Old February 2nd 04, 08:56 PM
Derek Lyons

(Greg Kuperberg) wrote:

In article ,
Derek Lyons wrote:
In every area of science, old instruments are destined to play only a
supporting role.

Which is why the sampling corers used by oceanographers haven't
changed in decades. Ditto for Nansen bottles.

From a web page on Nansen bottles:

Well, actually it's *not* a web page on Nansen bottles, but a web page
on an oceanography satellites. (Try reading the page, note the "You
are exploring OceanWorld Students Satellites" at the top. Also
note the *title* of the page "Satellites".)

Nansen bottles, invented by the Norwegian oceanographer Fridtjof
Nansen, are cylindrical containers that sample sea temperature and
salinity. They were typical of tools used in the mid-twentieth century
from which data were obtained to model ocean circulation. They
have generally been replaced by modern electronic instruments,
but measurements are still made from ships in the same manner.
(
http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/students/...satellite2.htm )

That sounds like a supporting role to me, at best.

That sounds like a page written to explain how satellites and other
things have replaced *some* of the functions of Nansen bottles. Oddly
enough, that page doesn't even mention the remainder of the functions.

Personally I think that mapping satellites are exciting, cutting-edge instruments
in oceanography. (E.g. the JASON satellite mentioned at the same web site.)

All through this thread you appear to prefer 'exciting, cutting-edge
instruments' over existing functional instruments, even to the point
of destroying context.

If you like Nansen bottles better, then I suppose you could argue to
cut NASA's funding.

Which would be stupid, because there are some things that Nansen
bottles do better, there are some things satellites do better.
Cutting NASA's budget however won't effect oceanagraphic birds much,
because in the main other people pay for them and other people launch
them.

D.

Old February 2nd 04, 09:26 PM
Greg Kuperberg

In article ,
Derek Lyons wrote:
(Greg Kuperberg) wrote:
Yes, Hale is a valuable telescope that is still booked far in advance.

Or, to put it simply; your original claim that it only an
afterthought, is bunk.

What I meant was that the fact that the telescope is still useful is
something of an afterthought. Or at least it should be! You shouldn't
plan science 50 years out, because it changes too quickly. In fact,
out of all science instruments built 50 years ago, the Hale telescope
is by far the most useful one. (I don't mean designed 50 years ago,
I mean actually built.) It's hard to think of many others that are even
remotely useful. Telescope mirrors seem to be the main example.

Of course, given that Hale is still useful, booking it is not an
afterthought at all.

Anyway to get back to Hubble. The shuttle servicing program has been
a big distraction from launching better telescope mirrors. Now, for a
finale, the shuttle program has jilted Hubble and laid waste to $200
million in new cameras. They are still imagining 28 launches to the
space station, but they don't care to spare 1 for Hubble because *that*
would be too dangerous. It ought to teach astronomers not to rely on
astronauts in the future.
--
/\ Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
/ \