OT Christmas Anecdote: "Here Comes Santa Claus"

Old December 21st 09, 02:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default OT Christmas Anecdote: "Here Comes Santa Claus"

When I was a very young child "Here comes Santa Claus" was my favorite
Christmas song. I would be ready and virtually quaking in eurphoric
anticipation when the line "Here comes Santa Claus... right down Santa
Claus Lane" came up because I thought it said "write down Santa Claus'
name." I would ever so carefully print "Santa Claus" on a clean piece
of paper, then wait for something good to happen as a result of my
excellent deed. Nothing ever happened, but a child's spirit is
indomitable, and I must have written "Santa Claus" on hundreds of
pieces of paper. It dawned on me only slowly that there was something
amiss, and that it might be my understanding of the song. I went to the
library and looked in a Christmas song book and experienced the first
epiphany that I can recall.

I never regretted having written "Santa Claus' name" so many times and
I still love the song.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old December 21st 09, 02:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim H.

On Dec 20, 9:11*pm, Davoud wrote:
[...]

I think this has been reported as an urban myth, but it really
happened in my 4th grade class....In the pre-PC 1950's, we drew a
bulletin board-sized mural of the Christian nativity scene using
pencil, chalk, finger paint, etc. as a class project. One of the
wise men wound up looking very fat. When asked about it, the kid who
drew him said in total seriousness that he was 'Round John
Virgin'.....

A post script... In the 10th grade, the same kid was in front of the
class using the blackboard to explain his solution to a geometry
problem. As he wielded the big chalk compass, out popped the phrase,
"Then you circumcise the circle...." I suppose someone should have
asked if it was a Jewish circle, but none of us southern kids had that
kind of wit.

Happy winter solstice, y'all!

Jim H.