Tasco?

Old March 17th 04, 08:21 PM
News

Default Tasco?

are they as bad as people say?, im looking for a cheap second scope

Old March 18th 04, 09:55 AM
David Harris

News wrote:

are they as bad as people say?, im looking for a cheap second scope

Yes

DH
(Im sure ST will point you to his site soon, must get the damn thing bookmarked, sorry Steven !)
Old March 18th 04, 01:03 PM
Steve

My first telescope was a 114mm Tasco reflector and I thought it was an ideal
beginners scope.

Steve

Old March 18th 04, 02:18 PM
News

I was thinking of a small refractor for my children as well as a second one
for me

Simon

Old March 18th 04, 05:40 PM
Martin Frey

"News" wrote:

are they as bad as people say?, im looking for a cheap second scope

Slightly OT as it's not a Tasco, but I was given a telecope (as an
alternative to it going to the tip) last night - a Galactic Explorer -
copyright on the box says 1997, with a 45mm glass - yes glass! - lens.
No pictures from Hubble on the box but a fairly optimistic close up of
a lunar crater. Tripod slightly more wobbly than a paper clip, 2
eyepieces, 50x and 100x. I baffle half way down the tube, slipped and
almost totally blocking all light. Had that been there from new?

No chance to try it last night - but I knew immediately I was looking
into a box, not of delight, but of disappointment and despair.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk

Old March 18th 04, 10:05 PM
Martin

"News" wrote:

are they as bad as people say?, im looking for a cheap second scope

Slightly OT as it's not a Tasco, but I was given a telecope (as an
alternative to it going to the tip) last night - a Galactic Explorer -
copyright on the box says 1997, with a 45mm glass - yes glass! - lens.
No pictures from Hubble on the box but a fairly optimistic close up of
a lunar crater. Tripod slightly more wobbly than a paper clip, 2
eyepieces, 50x and 100x. I baffle half way down the tube, slipped and
almost totally blocking all light. Had that been there from new?

No chance to try it last night - but I knew immediately I was looking
into a box, not of delight, but of disappointment and despair.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 02 E 0 47

I spent £90 on one of those small Tasco Cat table top telescopes for
something portable and so long as you don't try to get stupid with the
magnification it works fine. To be fair I don't use the supplied eyepieces
(which are the .975 ones) but got an adaptor to take my 1 1/4 eyepieces.

For the money I'm quite happy with it, the overally build quality is quite
good, the all metal table top mount is nice and solid. The finder is crap,
but it does the job.

Martin

Old March 18th 04, 10:32 PM
Philip Thompson

Martin:
Where did you get the eyepiece adaptor from?

Old March 18th 04, 10:55 PM
Martin

"Philip Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
Martin:
Where did you get the eyepiece adaptor from?

Er I can't remember for sure, Sherwoods I think, just do a search for .975
to 1 1/4 adaptors and you should pick up a few links.

Martin

Old March 18th 04, 11:49 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Martin wrote:
do a search for .975 to 1 1/4 adaptors and you should pick up a few
links.

Might be a tad more fruitful with .965 :-)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +

Need help with a Tasco. Ernest Kemp Misc 32 December 13th 03 01:41 AM
Tasco limits Ioannis Amateur Astronomy 14 October 12th 03 12:55 AM
Small Tasco Cat Martin UK Astronomy 1 October 5th 03 07:08 AM
What size eyepiece for a Tasco Galaxsee 4.5" reflector? Phil Wheeler Misc 2 September 1st 03 04:03 AM