Apollo 13, what if the SMs tank had exploded after the LM had been onthe surface

Old January 26th 13, 10:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

Default Apollo 13, what if the SMs tank had exploded after the LM had been onthe surface

Obviously the crew had no way to get home. Would apollo continued to
possibly recover the astronauts bodies? was there any way to even get
the bodies home?

Were there any plans for such a sad event? Or one where the LM crew
gets stranded on the surface? leaving the CM pilot to come home alone?

yeah i know its a gruesome topic but do wonder if there were any plans
for such outcomes?

would the 13 SM defect had been found with a crew stuck in orbit?
Old January 26th 13, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

I must add I am very glad the program ended with no in flight
disasters. apollo one is a sad fact
Old January 27th 13, 12:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

Obviously the crew had no way to get home. Would apollo continued to
possibly recover the astronauts bodies? was there any way to even get
the bodies home?

Bluntly, people would have died and no, it's highly unlikely NASA could have
or would have done anything.

Were there any plans for such a sad event? Or one where the LM crew
gets stranded on the surface? leaving the CM pilot to come home alone?

Yes there were plans.

Including this:

http://watergate.info/1969/07/20/an-...on-speech.html

But as I know this is been discussed here before, I can only question your
sudden morbid interest.

yeah i know its a gruesome topic but do wonder if there were any plans
for such outcomes?

would the 13 SM defect had been found with a crew stuck in orbit?

I'm not even sure what this question means.

Old January 27th 13, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

--
Greg D. Moore * * * * * * * * *http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses.http://www.quicr.net

My question wasnt the already discussed being stuck on the moon,
trying everything, saying goodbye and cutting the radio link at the
last moment.

my question is would / could bodies be recovered either stuck on moon
or stuck in moons orbit. would the apollo program have ended?

would a CM remain in orbit long enough to get another vehicle to the
moon? given the mascons? and even if they did get another CM to the
moon could two CMs, one a likely dead hulk be docked together to get
the dead crew home some way?

logistically it would be hard to get the dead crew back........

could a CM be sent to the moon with just one crew member a pilot to
recover the dead crew.....

I started wondering about this awhile ago after watching a show about
apollo, as far as I remember the long term after such a loss has never
been discused.

and without the crews photos of the SM could nasa have figured out
what went wrong?

I am certinally glad none of this bad stuff occured
Old January 27th 13, 09:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

would the 13 SM defect had been found with a crew stuck in orbit?

I'm not even sure what this question means.

--
Greg D. Moore

The photos 13s astronauts took right before re entry helped discover
the cause of the explosion....

would a stranded crew be ordered to undock to look at their SM, given
they were going to die, and the in flight camera may not have had the
resolution to show what occured.

photos obviouslywouldnt get bach unless the crew got back, and in
this

did other tanks have the same defect? over voltage on underrated
components
Old January 28th 13, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

bob haller wrote:

my question is would / could bodies be recovered either stuck on moon
or stuck in moons orbit. would the apollo program have ended?

would a CM remain in orbit long enough to get another vehicle to the
moon? given the mascons? and even if they did get another CM to the
moon could two CMs, one a likely dead hulk be docked together to get
the dead crew home some way?

Apparently the CMs smelled bad enough after splash down with *live*
crew on board. It doesn't bear thinking about.
Old January 29th 13, 11:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Jan 28, 8:26*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article c046a8b5-2976-448b-bc75-8d21f6a13333
@x18g2000yqo.googlegroups.com, says...

Obviously the crew had no way to get home. Would apollo continued to
possibly recover the astronauts bodies? *was there any way to even get
the bodies home?

Were there any plans for such a sad event? Or one where the LM crew
gets stranded on the surface? leaving the CM pilot to come home alone?

yeah i know its a gruesome topic but do wonder if there were any plans
for such outcomes?

would the 13 SM defect had been found with a crew stuck in orbit?

More "what if" b.s.? *I don't consier that history, I consider it
fiction.

Jeff

call it whatever you want. the military tries its best to return all
dead military members to their family.I recently had a realtive in
afghanistan see his best friend die. kevin had to kill the 13 year old
aghanistan kid who killed his buddy, then drag his buddys body back to
a safer place.

so would nasa just leave the dead crew, but continue flying more
missions? or try to recover the bodies however they could.

if a soyuz has a problem in transit to ISS and the crew dies are there
any plans to attempt recovering the bodies?
Old January 30th 13, 02:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article 80c2ac95-558f-4a3a-842d-9b0e9efa2255
@h2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com, says...

[...]

NASA was not, and is not, part of the military.

so would nasa just leave the dead crew, but continue flying more
missions? or try to recover the bodies however they could.

Why would it matter? Dead is dead. Declare the site a memorial and let
the bodies rest in peace.

if a soyuz has a problem in transit to ISS and the crew dies are there
any plans to attempt recovering the bodies?

If it can be controlled from the ground, no doubt the Russians would try
to land as close as they can to the normal recovery zone. If not, then
orbital decay will take care of "recovery".

Your morbid curiosity is quite disturbing when combined with your
chicken little paranoia. You must think the whole world is out to get
you.

Jeff
Old January 30th 13, 03:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Jan 30, 8:36*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
[...]

you know if manned flight continues, espiclly if mars becomes a
destination bad days can occur

and look how long challeger debris recovery continued with emphasis on
the crew compartment...