Venus (And Mercury ) in Western Sky this week...

Old March 31st 10, 11:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Venus (And Mercury ) in Western Sky this week...

Venus (And Mercury ) in Western Sky this week...
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...tm?list1371687

Old April 1st 10, 04:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
tonysin

On Mar 31, 3:53*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
Venus (And Mercury ) in Western Sky this week...

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...nets.htm?list1...

I simply don't understand how anybody ever noticed Mercury before
photography was invented.

I live on the west coast of Oregon, less than a mile from the ocean,
so looking west is looking into some of the cleanest air on the planet
--- it has to be MUCH cleaner than the atmosphere back when everybody
used wood fires for cooking and heating. I knew exactly where to look
--- all the diagrams on the net, plus my Stellarium program, show it
at about 4 o'clock from Venus, just a couple degrees away. The sky in
the west was cloudless, for a change --- Venus was brilliant.I had 8-
power binoculars. And I still couldn't find Mercury.

How in the world could the ancient Greeks have ever noticed it?
Old April 1st 10, 05:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 3/31/10 10:56 PM, tonysin wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:53 pm, Sam wrote:
Venus (And Mercury ) in Western Sky this week...

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...nets.htm?list1...

I simply don't understand how anybody ever noticed Mercury before
photography was invented.

I live on the west coast of Oregon, less than a mile from the ocean,
so looking west is looking into some of the cleanest air on the planet
--- it has to be MUCH cleaner than the atmosphere back when everybody
used wood fires for cooking and heating. I knew exactly where to look
--- all the diagrams on the net, plus my Stellarium program, show it
at about 4 o'clock from Venus, just a couple degrees away. The sky in
the west was cloudless, for a change --- Venus was brilliant.I had 8-
power binoculars. And I still couldn't find Mercury.

How in the world could the ancient Greeks have ever noticed it?

It will get better over the next week!
Worth the effort!
Old April 1st 10, 06:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
tonysin

On Mar 31, 3:53 pm, Sam *wrote:
[...]

Stellarium shows it getting just a little farther from the sun in the
next few days, but with a corresponding loss of brightness.

Probably moot for me, because clouds and rain are forecast for my area
for the rest of the week. Tonight was probably my only chance.
Old April 1st 10, 07:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TBerk

On Mar 31, 8:56*pm, tonysin wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:53*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

Venus (And Mercury ) in Western Sky this week...

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...nets.htm?list1....

I simply don't understand how anybody ever noticed Mercury before
photography was invented.

I live on the west coast of Oregon, less than a mile from the ocean,
so looking west is looking into some of the cleanest air on the planet
--- it has to be MUCH cleaner than the atmosphere back when everybody
used wood fires for cooking and heating. *

snip

Keep in mind; there were a Lot less people back then making those
fires.

How in the world could the ancient Greeks have ever noticed it?

Because they didn't have YouTube or Twitter.

berk