The Arecibo Telescope in Puerto Rico Collapses

Old December 15th 20, 01:27 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS]

Default The Arecibo Telescope in Puerto Rico Collapses

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 15:25:28 +1100, Daniel65
wrote:

I got a question:* How far to the 'south' can
this type of telescope / dish look?
(Want just rough idea?* I do not understand the sources.)

Yeah, the idea of a Radio Antenna (for that is, basically, what a Radio
Telescope is) being able to pick up signals from other than straight
above intreges me.

Back in a former life, I was an electronics technician, mainly working
on High Powered H.F. Radio equipment which were connected to, amongst
other things, long, long wire

I'm not sure about how the one in Arecibo worked as far as "aiming"
the receiver, but the VLA in New Mexico does that by very skillful
positioning of the various receiving dishes in the array.

--
//Steve//