NASA declines to protect the Planet Earth

Old August 18th 06, 12:39 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

Default Henry Spencer - Shameless NASA Apologist

"Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | Henry Spencer wrote:
| |
| | NASA tried a tether experiment that was a spectacular and colossal
| | failure...
| |
| | Twice, in fact... both times because of manufacturing defects rather
| than
| |
| | being a butt ****ing stupid concept, eh, Henry?
| |
| | Henry Spencer - defending NASA as only NASA can't.
| |
| The solar sails on the ISS seem to be tethered. Any idea why they
haven't
| broken off yet? :-)
| http://ams.pg.infn.it/whatis/photos/iss/iss.jpg
|
| Perhaps because they are relatively small well engineered square planar
| arrays, with a specific useful purpose, not a wire strung out for miles
| for no apparent reason except it's so cool. Like golfing in space.
|
| **** you. I've got better things to do than suffer fools gladly.

You were foolish enough to attempt a serious reply to a smiley face.
Now go **** yourself, I've got better things to do than suffer grumpy fools
sadly.
Androcles.

Old August 18th 06, 12:44 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Sorcerer wrote:
"Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | Henry Spencer wrote:
| |
| | NASA tried a tether experiment that was a spectacular and colossal
| | failure...
| |
| | Twice, in fact... both times because of manufacturing defects rather
| than
| |
| | being a butt ****ing stupid concept, eh, Henry?
| |
| | Henry Spencer - defending NASA as only NASA can't.
| |
| The solar sails on the ISS seem to be tethered. Any idea why they
haven't
| broken off yet? :-)
| http://ams.pg.infn.it/whatis/photos/iss/iss.jpg
|
| Perhaps because they are relatively small well engineered square planar
| arrays, with a specific useful purpose, not a wire strung out for miles
| for no apparent reason except it's so cool. Like golfing in space.
|
| **** you. I've got better things to do than suffer fools gladly.

You were foolish enough to attempt a serious reply to a smiley face.

Too bad you are intrinsically not funny. It goes with your territory.

Now go **** yourself, I've got better things to do than suffer grumpy fools
sadly.

When I want to collect light, I use small square planar arrays.

When I want to radiate long radio waves, I use a long wire.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org
Old August 18th 06, 01:11 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

"Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | Sorcerer wrote:
| | "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | | Henry Spencer wrote:
| | |
| | | NASA tried a tether experiment that was a spectacular and
colossal
| | | failure...
| | |
| | | Twice, in fact... both times because of manufacturing defects
rather
| | than
| | |
| | | being a butt ****ing stupid concept, eh, Henry?
| | |
| | | Henry Spencer - defending NASA as only NASA can't.
| | |
| | The solar sails on the ISS seem to be tethered. Any idea why they
| haven't
| | broken off yet? :-)
| | http://ams.pg.infn.it/whatis/photos/iss/iss.jpg
| |
| | Perhaps because they are relatively small well engineered square
planar
| | arrays, with a specific useful purpose, not a wire strung out for
miles
| | for no apparent reason except it's so cool. Like golfing in space.
| |
| | **** you. I've got better things to do than suffer fools gladly.
|
| You were foolish enough to attempt a serious reply to a smiley face.
|
| Too bad you are intrinsically not funny. It goes with your territory.

We'll have to let hanson be the judge.
Too bad you are a boor. Now go get laid as hanson suggests.

| Now go **** yourself, I've got better things to do than suffer grumpy
fools
| sadly.
|
| When I want to collect light, I use small square planar arrays.
|
| When I want to radiate long radio waves, I use a long wire.

When I want to collect dumb fish I use a hook, line and a sinker on a
short wire.
Androcles

Old August 18th 06, 01:24 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Sorcerer wrote:
"Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | Sorcerer wrote:
| | "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | | Henry Spencer wrote:
| | |
| | | NASA tried a tether experiment that was a spectacular and
colossal
| | | failure...
| | |
| | | Twice, in fact... both times because of manufacturing defects
rather
| | than
| | |
| | | being a butt ****ing stupid concept, eh, Henry?
| | |
| | | Henry Spencer - defending NASA as only NASA can't.
| | |
| | The solar sails on the ISS seem to be tethered. Any idea why they
| haven't
| | broken off yet? :-)
| | http://ams.pg.infn.it/whatis/photos/iss/iss.jpg
| |
| | Perhaps because they are relatively small well engineered square
planar
| | arrays, with a specific useful purpose, not a wire strung out for
miles
| | for no apparent reason except it's so cool. Like golfing in space.
| |
| | **** you. I've got better things to do than suffer fools gladly.
|
| You were foolish enough to attempt a serious reply to a smiley face.
|
| Too bad you are intrinsically not funny. It goes with your territory.

We'll have to let hanson be the judge.
Too bad you are a boor. Now go get laid as hanson suggests.

| Now go **** yourself, I've got better things to do than suffer grumpy
fools
| sadly.
|
| When I want to collect light, I use small square planar arrays.
|
| When I want to radiate long radio waves, I use a long wire.

When I want to collect dumb fish I use a hook, line and a sinker on a
short wire.

Not only are you dumb, you're a chicken ****.

Real men use stainless steel spears and Hawaiian slings.

If you want to play with the big fish, you have to swim with the big
fish. I am a big fish. I've seen real big fish. I've fought with them
hand to mouth. A very large and hungry shark once swam right up onto the
land, and tried to get a little piece of me, looked me right in the eye,
he did. You have no idea who you are dealing with. Not a ****ing clue.

I suggest you open your eyes and start thinking.

You have no idea what funny and smart is.

http://www.lifeform.org/bion.htm
Old August 18th 06, 01:38 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

"Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | Sorcerer wrote:
| | "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | | Sorcerer wrote:
| | | |
| colossal
| | | |
| rather
| | | than
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | The solar sails on the ISS seem to be tethered. Any idea why
they
| | haven't
| | | broken off yet? :-)
| | | http://ams.pg.infn.it/whatis/photos/iss/iss.jpg
| | |
| | | Perhaps because they are relatively small well engineered square
| planar
| | | arrays, with a specific useful purpose, not a wire strung out for
| miles
| | | for no apparent reason except it's so cool. Like golfing in space.
| | |
| | | **** you. I've got better things to do than suffer fools gladly.
| |
| | You were foolish enough to attempt a serious reply to a smiley face.
| |
| | Too bad you are intrinsically not funny. It goes with your territory.
| |
| We'll have to let hanson be the judge.
| Too bad you are a boor. Now go get laid as hanson suggests.
|

| | Now go **** yourself, I've got better things to do than suffer
grumpy
| fools
| | sadly.
| |
| | When I want to collect light, I use small square planar arrays.
| |
| | When I want to radiate long radio waves, I use a long wire.
|
| When I want to collect dumb fish I use a hook, line and a sinker on a
| short wire.
|
| Not only are you dumb, you're a chicken ****.

Do **** off, dog tord.
You are about as entertaining as a child's inflatable punching toy. You bop
it, it springs back, you bop it again and you forget it ever existed. It
slowly deflates in an unused corner, then one day you throw it away. You are
validating my inherent mistrust of strangers. Maybe you wouldn't come across
as such a jellyfish-sucking mental midget if you weren't so stupid that even
single-celled organisms out score you in IQ tests.
Go flame someone else.
*plonk*
Androcles

Old August 18th 06, 01:42 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:38:53 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Sorcerer"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

"Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message

nothing worth reading snipped

*plonk*

What took you so long? He's been in most sensible people's killfiles
for years.
Old August 18th 06, 01:42 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Sorcerer wrote:
"Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | Sorcerer wrote:
| | "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
| | | Sorcerer wrote:
| | | |
| colossal
| | | |
| rather
| | | than
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | The solar sails on the ISS seem to be tethered. Any idea why
they
| | haven't
| | | broken off yet? :-)
| | | http://ams.pg.infn.it/whatis/photos/iss/iss.jpg
| | |
| | | Perhaps because they are relatively small well engineered square
| planar
| | | arrays, with a specific useful purpose, not a wire strung out for
| miles
| | | for no apparent reason except it's so cool. Like golfing in space.
| | |
| | | **** you. I've got better things to do than suffer fools gladly.
| |
| | You were foolish enough to attempt a serious reply to a smiley face.
| |
| | Too bad you are intrinsically not funny. It goes with your territory.
| |
| We'll have to let hanson be the judge.
| Too bad you are a boor. Now go get laid as hanson suggests.
|

| | Now go **** yourself, I've got better things to do than suffer
grumpy
| fools
| | sadly.
| |
| | When I want to collect light, I use small square planar arrays.
| |
| | When I want to radiate long radio waves, I use a long wire.
|
| When I want to collect dumb fish I use a hook, line and a sinker on a
| short wire.
|
| Not only are you dumb, you're a chicken ****.

*plonk*

Oh thank god, finally.

Now who else is ****ing dumb enough to spend 500 million dollars of
taxpayer money, just to drag a 20 km wire around in low earth orbit?

Old August 18th 06, 02:12 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
| On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:38:53 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Sorcerer"
| made the phosphor on my monitor glow
| in such a way as to indicate that:
|
| "Thomas Lee Elifritz" wrote in message
|
| nothing worth reading snipped
|
| *plonk*
|
| What took you so long? He's been in most sensible people's killfiles
| for years.

I was jerking his chain a little, but he got serious.
It amazes me just how pompous, sanctimonious and self-righteous
some people can be.
Androcles.

Old August 18th 06, 02:14 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Sorcerer wrote:

I was jerking his chain a little, but he got serious.

Because you're a jerk, or were you just jerking off.

I happen to consider 500 million wasted on a space tether experiment to
be a fairly serious example of scientific and technical incompetence.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org
Old August 18th 06, 02:15 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
pete[_1_]

Default NASA declines to protect the Planet Earth

In sci.space.policy, on Mon, 14 Aug 06 09:58:53 GMT, sez:

[last post in an interesting subthread on breadmaking in space]

Missed this discussion, vacationing. There is a confluence of
issues here to do with the many requirements for space food,
which seem to me to include

- compact storage
- ease of preparation
- minimum mass (I don't think much can be done here with the food
itself, as there is a minimum requirement, and when you include
the water content, that's hard to reduce, but you can potentially
do things to reduce the mass of the preparation equipment)
- palatability
- variety
- nutritional content - this includes the well known obvious items
like protein, fat, carbs, fibre, vitamins, minerals, and EFAs,
but also less obvious things like enzymes and similar beneficial
chemicals present in fresh foods

What occurs to me as being a great food resource for meeting many
of these requirements is seed used for sprouting. Sprouts have
_much_ higher food value than the originating seeds, but are far
simpler to generate than full blown hydroponic farmed plants -
just add water and wait a couple of days. For extra benefit,
expose to sunlight for a day before consumption. Sprouted grains can
be blended and used for making bread. I don't know if this is now
common in every market, but locally here, if you read the ingredients
on about a third of the "healthier" (ie I'm not talking about
wonderbread) loaves on the store shelves, you will find "contains
no flour, made from 100% sprouted grains", and these loaves look
and taste pretty much similar to regular wholegrain breads, except
perhaps more flavourful. Seeds are obviously compact, dehydrated,
well suited for cargo - they are more resistant to spoilage than
prepared flour, unless the flour has been depleted of valuable
nutrients.

A wide variety of seeds - grains, legumes, pulses - and a wide
variety of seed and sprout preparation techniques, from bread to
chow mein to salad to soups and stews, provides a potential for
great variety in meals, all with relatively simple preparation
requirements. Sure it's more involved than putting the pack of
frozen entree in the microwave, but it's not something requiring
exotic hardware, either. Nor would I try to suggest that it would
be the sole food source; a major component, though.

Pete Vincent
Disclaimer: all I know I learned from reading Usenet.