40th Anniversary of 2001:A Space Odyssey

Old May 3rd 08, 04:29 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

Default 40th Anniversary of 2001:A Space Odyssey

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Starfuries are ejected via centrifugal force from the rotating exterior
Cobra Bays, and return to the Cobra Bays via the main docking bay in the
docking sphere...

THe problem being, of course, that unless they all eject simultaneously,
they will all be going in different directions, spreading out in a
fan-shaped pattern,

Nope - you just drop them sequentially as each bay comes in line with
the departure vector. This leaves 'em deployed in a very nice line.

But that's not how it worked. It would work fine if the bays were
perpendicular to the rotation axis, but they are parallel, so it's
impossible for craft launching from the same bay to have the same departure
vector unless they wait an entire rotation.

I've never seen B5

What are you, a psycho commie????? That's unAhmurrican!

Old May 3rd 08, 04:34 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"OM" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 May 2008 11:44:23 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

One thing missing was a heavier bomber-type craft, like BG's Raptors. JMS
is
brilliant, but he can't think of everything (and didn't have the money for
it, anyway).

...This was CGI, which should have made the money issue a bit less
impacting.

You still have the practical interior set to deal with on occasion.
Remember, Star Trek got a shuttle because AMT foot the bill in exchange for
the model rights.

And what the frack is up with WB's ****-poor marketing of B-5? I walk into
the Warner Bros store at the Orlando airport, and there's *nothing* about
B-5. This was about 10 years ago, not long after B-5 ended.

Old May 3rd 08, 04:56 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 02 May 2008 17:42:14 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

These appeared to be B5 fighters of some sort, that were fleshed out as
Starfuries in the finished series.

....Actually, one of the interesting things that's been revealed about
the recent return of B5 in "Direct-to-DVD" format is that *ALL* of the
meshes created for the show were -erased-. What was used was either
made from scratch, or was reworked from fan-built meshes that are
still available for download. This explains why B5 looks a bit
different than it did in the series, especially WRT textures and the
size of the command sphere.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 3rd 08, 07:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Actually, one of the interesting things that's been revealed about
the recent return of B5 in "Direct-to-DVD" format is that *ALL* of the
meshes created for the show were -erased-. What was used was either
made from scratch, or was reworked from fan-built meshes that are
still available for download. This explains why B5 looks a bit
different than it did in the series, especially WRT textures and the
size of the command sphere.

They re-did all the special effects on the pilot before it was released
on DVD, and a lot of history in regards to its original form was lost
in the process.
For instance, the scene where Sinclair tries to shoot Londo under the
table while they are eating dinner together has been entirely
eliminated. ;-)

Pat

Old May 6th 08, 04:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Starfuries are ejected via centrifugal force from the rotating exterior
Cobra Bays, and return to the Cobra Bays via the main docking bay in the
docking sphere...

THe problem being, of course, that unless they all eject simultaneously,
they will all be going in different directions, spreading out in a
fan-shaped pattern,

Nope - you just drop them sequentially as each bay comes in line with
the departure vector. This leaves 'em deployed in a very nice line.

But that's not how it worked. It would work fine if the bays were
perpendicular to the rotation axis, but they are parallel, so it's
impossible for craft launching from the same bay to have the same departure
vector unless they wait an entire rotation.

I didn't say that was how it worked - I said that was one way to make
them work. (And in the novel from which I nipped the idea, waiting a
rotation is exactly what they did.)

I've never seen B5

What are you, a psycho commie????? That's unAhmurrican!

Didn't have cable when it was on, caught it a few times at friends
houses and wasn't impressed.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old May 6th 08, 04:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dave Michelson

Derek Lyons wrote:

... caught [B5] a few times [...] and wasn't impressed.

I'm trying to imagine Derek being impressed by *anything* but I'm
drawing a blank :-\

[Hint: B5 wasn't supposed to be impressive. It was supposed to be fun.
By and large, it was.]

--
Dave Michelson

Old May 6th 08, 07:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Dave Michelson wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:

... caught [B5] a few times [...] and wasn't impressed.

I'm trying to imagine Derek being impressed by *anything* but I'm
drawing a blank :-\

I'm impressed by quite a few things. You don't see it because you're
a jackass.

[Hint: B5 wasn't supposed to be impressive. It was supposed to be fun.
By and large, it was.]

Hint: In the colloquial to be 'impressed' by something doesn't mean
that it was 'impressive'. If you weren't a jackass you'd know that.

D.

Old May 6th 08, 04:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dave Michelson

Derek Lyons wrote:
Dave Michelson wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
... caught [B5] a few times [...] and wasn't impressed.

I'm trying to imagine Derek being impressed by *anything* but I'm
drawing a blank :-\

I'm impressed by quite a few things. {Ad hominen attack deleted.]

Sorry, but being impressed by yourself doesn't count.

--
Dave Michelson

Old May 6th 08, 04:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dave Michelson

Rand Simberg wrote:

Hey, Dave, we should start a business selling tee-shirts saying "Derek
Lyons called me a jackass." It would be a badge of honor.

Indeed! It's likely that demand would outstrip supply, though.

(I'm sure Derek is a great guy, but his posts would be much easier to
take if he wasn't so down on *everything*. Even movie reviewers say
nice things every now and then.)

--
Dave Michelson