Any books on "Astro" Cartography? (I'm not a crank)

Old July 30th 03, 04:12 PM
Dr John Stockton

Default Any books on "Astro" Cartography? (I'm not a crank)

JRS: In article , seen in
news:uk.sci.astronomy, Stephen Tonkin posted at
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 05:53:58 :-

IIRC the _Times_ Star chart uses Mercator projection for the "main bit"
and stereographic for the polar maps.

Is there a (repeatable) name for what Adrian Berry in the Telegraph
uses? It appears to project from a zenithal point at infinity on to the
plane on which the horizon lies.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old July 31st 03, 06:08 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Dr John Stockton wrote:
Stephen Tonkin posted :-

IIRC the _Times_ Star chart uses Mercator projection for the "main bit"
and stereographic for the polar maps.

I ought to make it clear that this is the _Times_ wall chart, not the
newspaper "minis"!

Is there a (repeatable) name for what Adrian Berry in the Telegraph
uses? It appears to project from a zenithal point at infinity on to the
plane on which the horizon lies.

I don't read the Torygraph, so I don't know for sure, but your
description sounds like sounds like an orthographic projection. It would
give distortion (foreshortening) at the periphery. Orthographic
projection is most commonly used (in astronomy) for representing the
visible discs of planets.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old July 31st 03, 06:08 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Stephen Tonkin posted :-

Old August 1st 03, 10:02 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 05:53:58 +0100, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:

Adrian B. wrote:
Sorry, I was told that in my original posting I sounded like a Star
Trek crank by asking about "Stellar" cartography.

Who the hell told you that?

"Mr Tonkin, will you join me in Stellar Cartography please"

Oh come on he so did ;-)

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk