Big Brother is watching you...

Old July 30th 03, 05:30 PM
ChrisH

Default Big Brother is watching you...

Not quite off-topic, follow the link to see stats on this newsgroup
and it's contributers. Back up a few steps if you want to search other
groups. Disturbing or what?
http://netscan.research.microsoft.co....sci.astronomy

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk
Old July 31st 03, 08:31 AM
Pete

Chris

Thanks for the URL - I did find it very 'scary' with the amount of
information that they have found a need to collate - and make publicly
available. Working in IT in data warehousing I know something about the
subject but I am surprised at the availability of this information. For
example, just scroll down and click on an authors profile and you can
see all of the other places that person has contributed to.

Since peoples names are displayed and you can search on their email
addresses, the term "Data Protection Act" springs to mind. I'd love to
know from somebody more informed on this particular topic whether the
Act (or the US equivalent if this is a US server) is relevant.

Pete

In message , ChrisH
writes
Not quite off-topic, follow the link to see stats on this newsgroup
and it's contributers. Back up a few steps if you want to search other
groups. Disturbing or what?
http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...p?timespan=m&s
earchdate=6/30/2003&searchfor=uk.sci.astronomy

--
Pete Smith

Old July 31st 03, 11:01 PM
Chris.B

Dave Pearson wrote in message ...

Given that all of the information used seems to be information that each of
us has decided to make publicly available on usenet and given that all
they've really done is write a very different kind of news reader I doubt
there really are such considerations.

Probably the only time I ever came in the top 3 at anything and I get
a bronze for being a complete pest. (Yearly report) And a silver for
one month's blatant attention seeking. You'll all be delighted to hear
I hold out absolutely no hopes of gold.

Despite the inevitable fears that such a public display of
information might raise. Responding to cross-posting trolls is
possibly the major cause of the visible postings on non-astro NGs.
Would-be blackmailer's please note.

I presume much of this information could be almost as easily trawled
from a user name search on each astro group. The results only appear
surprising when seen organised so nicely in print. Though I did note a
number of spelling mistakes. g

Chris.B