Registax and AVI's

Old July 29th 03, 06:10 PM
Martin Taylor

Default Registax and AVI's

A friend (yet it is a friend) has taken some good avi's of mars, but
Registax won't recognise them. Anyone know of software/ the process for
resolving this?

Martin Taylor

Old July 29th 03, 06:38 PM
A. Edwards

Err - Martin Taylor mumbled something like:
A friend (yet it is a friend) has taken some good avi's of mars, but
Registax won't recognise them. Anyone know of software/ the process
for resolving this?

Martin Taylor

Currently, Registax needs 24 bit colour depth avi's. If you want to use it
for these avi's then you will need AVI2BMP. This will convert the
individual frames of the avi to a series of bitmaps that Registax can then
load and process.

Arthur

PS - *not* this version http://www.webattack.com/get/avi2bmp.shtml , which
converts to a single large file of rows of images,

you want this one : http://avi2bmp.free.fr/

52:30:25N, 1:17:51E
http://www.ambermile.co.uk

---

Old July 29th 03, 07:19 PM
Mark Crossley

Currently, Registax needs 24 bit colour depth avi's. If you want to use
it
for these avi's then you will need AVI2BMP. This will convert the
individual frames of the avi to a series of bitmaps that Registax can then
load and process.

Arthur

PS - *not* this version http://www.webattack.com/get/avi2bmp.shtml ,

which
converts to a single large file of rows of images,

you want this one : http://avi2bmp.free.fr/

Or use VirtualDub to change the colour depth of the avi (and add some
compression at the same time - I find that using Indeo 5.1 at max quality,
with every frame a keyframe slashes the file size from ToUcam [eg 132MB 1
minute avi compresses down to 7.5MB] without losing any quality on the final
image.).

http://www.virtualdub.org/index

Cheers
Mark

Old July 29th 03, 09:16 PM
Mike Williams

Wasn't it Martin Taylor who wrote:
A friend (yet it is a friend) has taken some good avi's of mars, but
Registax won't recognise them. Anyone know of software/ the process for
resolving this?

Is it possible that your friend has encoded the AVI with a codec that's
not on your machine? You can check by trying to view the AVI in Windows
Media Player. If WMP can't find a suitable codec on your machine it may
offer to try to download one for you. If WMP doesn't offer to download a
missing codec for you, then it probably means that the required codec is
DIVX, which you can get from http://www.divx.com

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Old July 31st 03, 07:57 PM
Martin Taylor

I ended up in the same boat about an hour after I sent this mail, unable to
stack .avi's when I deleted somewof the bloatware that comes with the ToUCam
(as I'd loaded the lot). I am sure that this took away the code to
decompress .avi's. I think it was the gaming software with the ToUcam. I
got the problem solved for myself using Bink & Smacker stuff (yes, it does
sound very dodgy). At least now I am back to square one and my friend also
ought to be able to process his images.

Thanks for everyones help.

Martin Taylor