Telescope lenses - where to get one for an old telescope?

Old July 30th 03, 06:09 PM
Phil

Default Telescope lenses - where to get one for an old telescope?

A friend of my fathers' has an old antique telescope. Apparently the
large lens at the end has a bad crack in it.

Not really sure of any other details on the 'scope right now, but what
are his chances of finding a lens for it?

If one wasn't available and it was necessary to get one made, how much
would that cost?

Thanks,
Phil

Old July 30th 03, 07:12 PM
Steve

Phil wrote:
A friend of my fathers' has an old antique telescope. Apparently the
large lens at the end has a bad crack in it.

Not really sure of any other details on the 'scope right now, but what
are his chances of finding a lens for it?

If one wasn't available and it was necessary to get one made, how much
would that cost?

Hi Phil,

A new lens can be made, the major parameter being its diameter, then if
it is really two lenses ( a doublet)

Steve

--
Steve Taylor
Technical Director

Old July 30th 03, 08:03 PM
Phil

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:12:01 +0000, Steve
wrote:

A new lens can be made, the major parameter being its diameter, then if
it is really two lenses ( a doublet)

Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does, who would I approach
to get one made?

Ta,
Phil

Old July 30th 03, 09:31 PM
Phil

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:54:11 +0000, Steve
wrote:

You can try Oldham Optical, http://www.oldham-optical.co.uk/ Norman
makes some great stuff. John Owen in Halifax also makes good lenses.
01422 243487

Thank you kindly Steve. :-)

Phil