Obs. Report: Binocular Fest

Old August 19th 06, 09:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Willie R. Meghar

Default Obs. Report: Binocular Fest

Latitude: between 45 and 46 degrees North
Instrument: hand held 8x42 and 20x80 binoculars
Zenithal Naked-Eye Limiting Magnitude: 6.5
(but a little hazy near the horizon)
Location: Northwestern U.S.

Approximate time: 4:00 -- 7:00 UT
Date: 19 August 2006 UT

These days I tend to set up a telescope around sunset when no
artificial light is required. Around sunset on this date a fair
number of clouds were present; so I didn't set up a telescope. Later
the clouds mostly vanished.

Not wanting to waste a good night, I decided to do an abbreviated
Messier Marathon using hand held binoculars. I started out quite
casually in the south with 8x42s and 'gobbled up' M6, M7, M22, M28,
M8, M20, M21, M23, M24 (very nice with binoculars!), M18 and M17.
This was before deciding to get serious and go after "everything!"

I switched to the north and broke out a pair of 20x80s in addition to
the 8x42s. M103 and M52 were seen with both binoculars. While in the
area I couldn't help but notice NGC 7789 -- big, bright, and nebulous
in appearance. I found myself wondering how Messier could possibly
have failed to include this open cluster in his catalog.

Next were M81 and M82, visible with both binoculars. M108 and M97
were a bit low in the sky and visible only with the 20x80s.

M101, M51 and M63 were visible with both binoculars. NGC 5866
(sometimes used to fill in the M102 vacancy) was visible only with the
20x80s.

M110, M31, M32, M33, M29, M71, and M57 were visible with both
binoculars; but M57 looked pretty much like a star in the 8x42s.

Cr399 (Brocchi's Cluster, aka The Coat Hanger) was visible as a fuzzy
patch to the naked eye. It was better with the 8x42s than with the
narrower field 20x80s.

M27, M13, M92, M55, M75, M72, M73, M30, M2, M15, M56, M39 and M34 were
visible with both binoculars; but M75 was almost stellar in the 8x42s.
The 20x80s resolved the stars in M73.

M76 was noticeable only with the 20x80s. M74 was very difficult with
the 8x42s, but clearly shown by the 20x80s. M45 was a treat with
either pair of binoculars.

Among the non-Messiers visited were the Veil Nebula (NGC 6992 and
6960) and the North America Nebula (NGC 7000), both visible with
either pair of binoculars. The nebulous patch between NGCs 6992 and
6960 was also visible. Chi Cygni was similar in brightness to Eta
Cygni.

During this session I was barefoot, moving back and forth through the
house between the front (north) porch and the back (south) porch while
consulting charts left inside on a table. Of course, lights were off
inside. At the end of the session the temperature was +55 degrees F.
and my feet were beginning to feel a chill.

It's probably not necessary to say; but I found the evening to be
quite enjoyable!

Willie R. Meghar

Early NASA PDFs Rusty History 48 June 13th 06 05:51 AM
NASA PDF - Apollo Experience Reports - 114 reports Rusty History 1 July 27th 05 03:52 AM
NASA Voyager PDF's 1963 - 1967 Rusty History 1 April 1st 05 12:05 AM
NASA PDF Mercury, Gemini, Apollo reports free online Rusty Barton History 81 October 3rd 04 05:33 PM
DEATH DOES NOT EXIST -- Coal Mine Rescue Proves It Ed Conrad Space Shuttle 4 August 2nd 03 01:00 AM