If Space Colonization Happens, It Will Be Done By Catholic Church

Old June 19th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

Default If Space Colonization Happens, It Will Be Done By Catholic Church

Rand Simberg wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:28:13 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Mike
Schilling" made the phosphor on my

Say the fifties instead, if
you like.

OK, same question abut the 50s.

"Starship Troopers."

That's an awfully intrusive government to call "libertarian".

Nothing intrusive about it.

The government-mandated Moral Philosophy class, complete with
government-mandated content, that every single student has to take doesn't
strike you as intrusive?

No more so than today's public schools.

Mike Shilling was arguing the Starship Trooper government wasn't that
libertarian. Comparing the Starship Trooper schools to today's public
schools doesn't counter that argument.

Unless you believe today's public schools are run by a libertarian
government.

Hop
Old June 20th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

Hop David wrote:

That's an awfully intrusive government to call "libertarian".

Nothing intrusive about it.

The government-mandated Moral Philosophy class, complete with
government-mandated content, that every single student has to take
doesn't strike you as intrusive?

No more so than today's public schools.

Mike Shilling was arguing the Starship Trooper government wasn't that
libertarian. Comparing the Starship Trooper schools to today's public
schools doesn't counter that argument.

Unless you believe today's public schools are run by a libertarian
government.

Well, I certainly don't believe that. ;-)

But I in fact think that the schools in ST were in fact less dogmatic
than the public schools in America. If only there were a single course
that were required here... Instead, the students are immersed in
collectivist, politically correct nonsense all day, and aren't learning
the basics.
Old June 20th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:49:04 -0700, Rand Simberg
wrote:

Hop David wrote:

[...]

I see. You think that the schools in Starship Troopers keep their
societies ideology strictly in one class and it doesn't influence how
they teach history or literature at all?

Old June 20th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

But I in fact think that the schools in ST were in fact less dogmatic than
the public schools in America. If only there were a single course that
were required here... Instead, the students are immersed in collectivist,
politically correct nonsense all day,

Algebra, spelling, reading, biology, geography, furrin languages.

Communism! All of it!

and aren't learning the basics.

Like basing your worldview on silly, simplistic propaganda. Schools won't
teach that, so they've got to learn it in the streets.

Old June 20th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

David Johnston wrote:

Unless you believe today's public schools are run by a libertarian
government.

Well, I certainly don't believe that. ;-)

But I in fact think that the schools in ST were in fact less dogmatic
than the public schools in America. If only there were a single course
that were required here... Instead, the students are immersed in
collectivist, politically correct nonsense all day, and aren't learning
the basics.

I see. You think that the schools in Starship Troopers keep their
societies ideology strictly in one class and it doesn't influence how
they teach history or literature at all?

It probably does. In what fantasy nation (libertarian or otherwise) do
you suppose that some "objective" version of history and literature is
taught?
Old June 20th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

Mike Schilling wrote:
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

But I in fact think that the schools in ST were in fact less dogmatic than
the public schools in America. If only there were a single course that
were required here... Instead, the students are immersed in collectivist,
politically correct nonsense all day,

Algebra, spelling, reading, biology, geography, furrin languages.

They're apparently no learning a lot of that, judging by tests.
Old June 20th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

Mike Schilling wrote:
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

But I in fact think that the schools in ST were in fact less dogmatic
than the public schools in America. If only there were a single course
that were required here... Instead, the students are immersed in
collectivist, politically correct nonsense all day,

Algebra, spelling, reading, biology, geography, furrin languages.

They're apparently no learning a lot of that, judging by tests.

But they lap up the commie propaganda.

Old June 20th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

Mike Schilling wrote:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

But I in fact think that the schools in ST were in fact less dogmatic
than the public schools in America. If only there were a single course
that were required here... Instead, the students are immersed in
collectivist, politically correct nonsense all day,

Algebra, spelling, reading, biology, geography, furrin languages.

They're apparently no learning a lot of that, judging by tests.

But they lap up the commie propaganda.

You were the one fantasizing about commie propaganda, not me.
Old June 20th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:14:33 -0700, Rand Simberg
wrote:

David Johnston wrote:

Unless you believe today's public schools are run by a libertarian
government.

Well, I certainly don't believe that. ;-)

But I in fact think that the schools in ST were in fact less dogmatic
than the public schools in America. If only there were a single course
that were required here... Instead, the students are immersed in
collectivist, politically correct nonsense all day, and aren't learning
the basics.

I see. You think that the schools in Starship Troopers keep their
societies ideology strictly in one class and it doesn't influence how
they teach history or literature at all?

It probably does. In what fantasy nation (libertarian or otherwise) do
you suppose that some "objective" version of history and literature is
taught?

You were the one suggesting Starship Troopers took place in such a
fantasy nation.

Old June 20th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy

wrote:

David Johnston wrote:

[...]

My point is that there is no such fantasy nation (hint: that's what the
word "fantasy" means). The nation of ST was as close to libertarian in
that respect as you're likely to get. At least, any nation that
survives as a nation. But then, "nation" is becoming one of those dirty
words in this politically correct, transnationalist world...