Ares I thrust vector control?

Old November 29th 07, 11:03 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bjørn Sørheim

Default Ares I thrust vector control?

Is this the right group for the Constellation project, btw?

Probably not been reading the right information, but one
question I have been wondering for some time is:
How do you aqquire thrust vector contol -steering simply - of the upcoming
Ares rocket using a modified solid rocket booster, when there is no
gimbal of the nozzle, like there is e.g. on the SSME and most other LPRE?
Not actually seen this mentioned, but I'm sure some engineers did think of
it :-)

Bjørn Sørheim

Old November 29th 07, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On Nov 29, 6:03 pm, "Bjørn Sørheim"
wrote:
Is this the right group for the Constellation project, btw?

Probably not been reading the right information, but one
question I have been wondering for some time is:
How do you aqquire thrust vector contol -steering simply - of the upcoming
Ares rocket using a modified solid rocket booster, when there is no
gimbal of the nozzle, like there is e.g. on the SSME and most other LPRE?
Not actually seen this mentioned, but I'm sure some engineers did think of
it :-)

Bjørn Sørheim

The shuttle boosters and Ares first stage have gimbaling nozzles. The
shuttle boosters provide most of the control until they are jettisoned
and then the SSME's take over

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/shuttle...rb/thrust.html
Old November 30th 07, 03:48 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Never really did understand solid thrust control. Certainly you have no real
control over how the fuel burns inside as far as I can see, save the shaping
of the solid fuel inside, so thrust vectoring just with nozzles must be a
bit rough and ready, its certainly not a smooth ride.

Brian

Email:

Old November 30th 07, 03:58 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
.uk...
Never really did understand solid thrust control. Certainly you have no
real control over how the fuel burns inside as far as I can see, save the
shaping of the solid fuel inside, so thrust vectoring just with nozzles
must be a bit rough and ready, its certainly not a smooth ride.

You can't control the level of thrust in most solids. But the large ones
like you find on Titan III/IV and the shuttle have thrust vector control
systems. I believe some of the ones in Titan used liquid injection in the
nozzle (which is why you see a tank on the side of the SRB).

The shuttle SRB's actually gimbal the nozzle (much like a liquid fuel
engine). You can imagine the engineering challenges involved in creating a
nozzle joint that actually holds together.

I'm not sure how Ariane-5's boosters do thrust vector control.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old November 30th 07, 04:01 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
You can't control the level of thrust in most solids.

I meant to say you can't *actively* control the level of thrust in most
solids. The thrust versus time profile is determined by the shape of the
grain of the propellant.

Jeff

Old November 30th 07, 05:12 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On Nov 30, 10:48 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Never really did understand solid thrust control. Certainly you have no real
control over how the fuel burns inside as far as I can see, save the shaping
of the solid fuel inside, so thrust vectoring just with nozzles must be a
bit rough and ready, its certainly not a smooth ride.

Not really. "Thrust vectoring" is just pointing the thrust vector.
By gimbaling the nozzle, it just changes the direction of the thrust.
Much like a water nozzle with a swivel. The magnitude of the thrust
is unchanged.

Old November 30th 07, 07:29 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bjørn Sørheim

skrev i melding
On Nov 30, 10:48 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Never really did understand solid thrust control. Certainly you have no
real
control over how the fuel burns inside as far as I can see, save the
shaping
of the solid fuel inside, so thrust vectoring just with nozzles must be
bit rough and ready, its certainly not a smooth ride.

Not really. "Thrust vectoring" is just pointing the thrust vector.
By gimbaling the nozzle, it just changes the direction of the thrust.
Much like a water nozzle with a swivel. The magnitude of the thrust
is unchanged.

Why was thrust vector control included in the first place on the SRBs for
the shuttle system?
There are separation motors to remove them when they have burnt out, and the
SSMEs supply the thrust vector control for the shuttle/tank/SRBs.
It seems to me this is just adding unnecessary complexity to the system.

Bjørn Sørheim

Old November 30th 07, 08:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Bjørn Sørheim" wrote in message
Why was thrust vector control included in the first place on the SRBs for
the shuttle system?
There are separation motors to remove them when they have burnt out, and
the
SSMEs supply the thrust vector control for the shuttle/tank/SRBs.
It seems to me this is just adding unnecessary complexity to the system.

Actually, I don't believe that the SSME's have enough thrust and gimbaling
in order to steer the stack when the SRB's are firing. The Titan III/IV
SRB's also had thrust vectoring.

Jeff

Old November 30th 07, 09:29 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On Nov 30, 3:06 pm, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:
"Bjørn Sørheim" wrote in message

Why was thrust vector control included in the first place on the SRBs for
the shuttle system?
There are separation motors to remove them when they have burnt out, and
the
SSMEs supply the thrust vector control for the shuttle/tank/SRBs.
It seems to me this is just adding unnecessary complexity to the system.

Actually, I don't believe that the SSME's have enough thrust and gimbaling
in order to steer the stack when the SRB's are firing. The Titan III/IV
SRB's also had thrust vectoring.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Just a clarification. The Titan III/IV 1st stage core engines were
not firing during the SRM burns. Hence the term "Stage 0" for the
SRM's. The SRM's had to have TVC.

But you are correct in that the SSME's do not have enough control
authority for the whole stack