Full Scale Space Station Model at the new Fry's Electronics Store

Old January 16th 05, 07:11 PM

Craig Fink wrote:
I wonder how accurate the full scale Space Station Model is at the new
Fry's Electronics store in Webster, Texas. For those who don't live in the
Houston area, the city of Webster is right next to JSC in Houston. Fry's
Electronics just openned a new store, and hanging from the ceiling is a
full scale model of the Space Station. It includes a Soyuz about to dock
with it, an X-38 already docked to it and a couple X-38s flying around. No
Space Shuttle.

Craig Fink

Now see? Fry's is BIG here in Silicon Valley and they often (I used to
think always) had a theme for each sto Cowboys and the Wild West in
Palo Alto, Mayan, Egyptian, etc- the new one (expanded from one building
to a bigger one) around the corner from Lawrence Exp is a High Tech
Museum to a certain extent.

Then they open one in an old Levitts Furniture 'cube' (we are talking
three or four stories, all open space inside) and where is the theme?

I though an aerospace or at least the history of flight would be a good
one- bu then they likely thought those suburbanites out in Diablo Valley
wouldn't miss it anyway.

TBerk
feeling put off for no real good reason.
Old January 16th 05, 07:14 PM

Craig Fink wrote:

What did you think of the cool pictures?

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Pho...ll/E-10628.jpg

We can rebuild him, better than he was before.....

TBerk
Old January 24th 05, 08:49 PM
Andy Eng

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:11:36 GMT, T wrote:

Craig Fink wrote:
I wonder how accurate the full scale Space Station Model is at the new
Fry's Electronics store in Webster, Texas. For those who don't live in the
Houston area, the city of Webster is right next to JSC in Houston. Fry's
Electronics just openned a new store, and hanging from the ceiling is a
full scale model of the Space Station. It includes a Soyuz about to dock
with it, an X-38 already docked to it and a couple X-38s flying around. No
Space Shuttle.

Craig Fink

snip

Now see? Fry's is BIG here in Silicon Valley and they often (I used to
think always) had a theme for each sto Cowboys and the Wild West in
Palo Alto, Mayan, Egyptian, etc- the new one (expanded from one building
to a bigger one) around the corner from Lawrence Exp is a High Tech
Museum to a certain extent.

Then they open one in an old Levitts Furniture 'cube' (we are talking
three or four stories, all open space inside) and where is the theme?

I though an aerospace or at least the history of flight would be a good
one- bu then they likely thought those suburbanites out in Diablo Valley
wouldn't miss it anyway.

Wandered around the place the other day.

No SARJ, no TRRJ, The RBVM looked pretty hokey as did the BGA. The
truss element is of a rectangular cross section instead of trapazoidal
(sp?), no SPDM, no MT Rail, no MT (but there is an MBS with a
Canada-Arm mockup). There appears to be an IEA about where it should
be but wasn't sure if they were all were they were suppose to be. No
CMGs that I could see, no external toolboxs or O2N2 tanks near the
airlock. Most of my familiarity was with the external items from the
west coast.

Not that familiar with the pressurized element details except for
maybe the airlock. One pressurized element did have a huge viewing
window with silhouettes of people inside waving.

Solar panels didn't look that bad from the distance though up close,
you could tell (painted on kapton colors) but the solar panels were
translucent!

I guess from a distance, it looked okay as would any foam core
mockup. Up close and knowing alot of details were missing didn't bug
me too much -- You'd see kids and folks wandering around the place
staring up looking at the mockup expressing signs of though and
imagination going on.

Did pick up some odds & ends though!

Best,
Andy
Old January 25th 05, 04:11 PM
Craig Fink

Craig Fink wrote:
[...]

Thanks, kind of what I thought the answer was going to be.

Craig Fink