astronomy or astrophysics?

Old January 27th 07, 05:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sitav

Default astronomy or astrophysics?

Whats the difference between the two?

Old January 27th 07, 05:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Eugene Griessel

"Sitav" wrote:

Whats the difference between the two?

Very, very, crudely: astronomy is the scientific study of celestial
bodies and the universe. Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy which
concerns itself with the internal structures,physical properties and
evolution of celestial bodies and with the production and expenditure
of energy in the universe as a whole. These days there is much
blurring and overlap and the definition is not sharp between the two
disciplines.

Eugene L Griessel

It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Old January 27th 07, 06:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On 27 Jan 2007 09:40:40 -0800, "Sitav" wrote:

Whats the difference between the two?

Professionally, very little these days. Astronomy includes the
observation and study of astronomical objects without necessarily
delving into the underlying physics describing them, but that is really
something reserved for amateurs.

I don't know any professional astronomers who don't consider themselves
physicists.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 27th 07, 06:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
micky

I don't know any professional astronomers who don't consider themselves
physicists.

And how many is that?

Old January 27th 07, 06:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:10:01 GMT, "micky" wrote:

And how many is that?

A few hundred, I guess.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 27th 07, 06:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Eugene Griessel

Chris L Peterson wrote:

On 27 Jan 2007 09:40:40 -0800, "Sitav" wrote:

Whats the difference between the two?

Professionally, very little these days. Astronomy includes the
observation and study of astronomical objects without necessarily
delving into the underlying physics describing them, but that is really
something reserved for amateurs.

I don't know any professional astronomers who don't consider themselves
physicists.

Yes - I guess the days of the professional - shall we call it -
"starmapper" are over. That work is largely being done by automated
processes. Celestial mechanics and astrophysics is where the
professional interest now lies.

Eugene L Griessel

Unless the need is mutual to all parties involved, your solutions to
problems are pragmatic not ethical.
Old January 27th 07, 10:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

Chris L Peterson wrote:
I don't know any professional astronomers who don't consider themselves
physicists.

I know quite a few. The observational astronomer is not dead yet. In
fact, almost none of the astronomers I know would lower themselves to
being called mere physicists. ;-)

Perhaps what you meant is that there is very little difference between
the two terms, which is quite true. "Astrophysics" is a term invented
by physics department heads who looked down on mere astronomers as lowly
observers (not real scientists like them) but wanted to have an
astronomy division within their department. The advanced degrees they
hand out (after a very protracted period that involves removing the very
souls of their students) are physics degrees with an emphasis on
astronomy, thus "astrophysics."

It's really too bad. The much "nicer" astronomy culture is slowly being
destroyed by the ugly culture of physics, which tends to value all the
wrong things in scientists (IMHO). Before anyone thinks I'm biased
because I consider myself one or the other, consider that I hold
advanced degrees in both disciplines.

Back to the original question. How do you tell the difference between
an astronomer and a physicist? The answer is simple: walk the halls
after 6 PM. The people who are still there hard at work, doing what
they love--those are the astronomers. The physicists went home at 5.

Clear skies,
Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/comets.html

To reply take out your eye
Old January 27th 07, 11:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
micky

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:10:01 GMT, "micky" wrote:

And how many is that?

A few hundred, I guess.

You mean to say that personally know a few hundred astronomers/physicists?
Come on now.

Old January 28th 07, 12:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:59:13 GMT, "micky" wrote:

You mean to say that personally know a few hundred astronomers/physicists?
Come on now.

I probably know a couple of dozen very well, and a couple of hundred
others that I communicate with and meet occasionally at conferences.
_I'm_ an astronomer/physicist... it's hardly surprising that these are
the people I know.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:59:13 GMT, "micky" wrote:

You mean to say that personally know a few hundred astronomers/physicists?
Come on now.

I probably know a couple of dozen very well, and a couple of hundred
others that I communicate with and meet occasionally at conferences.
_I'm_ an astronomer/physicist... it's hardly surprising that these are
the people I know.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

For my own curiosity -- these professional astronomers/astrophysicists that
you know or are acquainted with -- do all/some/most/a few/none of them have
their own scopes at home that they drag out into the backyard for a look at
Jupiter, or, are they beyond that??

I ask because it seems as though once one dives into the realm of serious
science, backyard astronomy might seem tame. Or maybe they just don't have
the time.

Thanks.