Any recommendations on Telescope operating software?

Old September 8th 03, 10:17 PM
Skygzer

Default Any recommendations on Telescope operating software?

I'm currently trying to dig up people's opinions on various software
packages available to control telescopes and CCD cameras. We
currently use CCDSoft but keep running into little inconvieniences and
software glitches in guide star aquisition, tracking, focusing, and a
few other issues. We'd like to find a more quantitative package (Much
like Maxim's FWHM focus readouts).

So far I've run into three packages:

CCDSoft
Prism 5
Maxim DL

My supervisor wants to see what other peoples personal experiences
with the software is. Firsthand experience, not advertising hype. So
if anybody has used these programs, or others, if you could just tell
me your likes, dislikes or such I'd greatly appreciate it (sorta like
a review).

Anyway, back to mining the internet and message boards.
Old September 9th 03, 12:25 AM
Chris L Peterson

On 8 Sep 2003 14:17:50 -0700, (Skygzer) wrote:

I'm currently trying to dig up people's opinions on various software
packages available to control telescopes and CCD cameras. We
currently use CCDSoft but keep running into little inconvieniences and
software glitches in guide star aquisition, tracking, focusing, and a
few other issues. We'd like to find a more quantitative package (Much
like Maxim's FWHM focus readouts).

So far I've run into three packages:

CCDSoft
Prism 5
Maxim DL

My supervisor wants to see what other peoples personal experiences
with the software is. Firsthand experience, not advertising hype. So
if anybody has used these programs, or others, if you could just tell
me your likes, dislikes or such I'd greatly appreciate it (sorta like
a review).

For camera control, I prefer Maxim to CCDSoft (no experience with Prism.)
CCDSoft has some nice features, but the lack of support for ASCOM is
increasingly limiting it IMO.

For telescope control, I use TheSky+TPoint, but I connect Maxim to the scope
through TheSky. In this way, the system is integrated and Maxim is aware of the
position of the telescope. If you don't need pointing correction, you can use
Maxim directly. Another option would by to use the pointing correction software
now offered by Cyanogen.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com