Asteroid/Earth collision and SDI. A connection ?

Old March 7th 07, 04:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
GatherNoMoss

Default Asteroid/Earth collision and SDI. A connection ?

Why am I hearing more and more about dangerous asteroids ?
I wonder about SDI and how stubbornly it was pushed upon us by Reagan
and also
by the fact that subsequent Presidents, including Clinton, did not
try to cancel this expensive and
"controversial" project.
And I wonder about things known at the top, things kept from the
public for "their own good".

Ok, let's quit beating around the bush shall we ?

It's perhaps been known since the Reagan years of a large asteroid in
a collision course with the Earth (or perhaps the Moon). Fortunately,
this asteroid was discovered 40-50 years before the projected impact.
SDI technology is being developed primarily to enable us to destroy
or deflect this asteroid.
Thinking that the news of this disastor would potentially cause a
societal breakdown, SDI was
publically presented as a nuclear missile shield. Quite clever as the
technology for both a missile
shield and a asteroid killing capability would closely overlap.

I consider that recent successful space mission in which NASA
perfectly smacked that copper slug into an comet a huge victory for
SDI.

It would appear that we maybe able to pull this asteroid destroying
thing off.

Which leads to a very strange observation...

The coincidence of it all ! The timing of all this is just too neat
and tidy.
Consider, humanity just happens to recently achieve the capablity to
observe and map a significant number of these NEOs to have an impact.
Humanity just happens to just recently gain the technological
capabilities to make SDI work.
Then this asteroid, a very rare occurance in itself, just happens to
come along at this very time
in humanties development ??!!

No no no I don't buy it !

Fellow humans...we're being manipulated. Very carefully interfered
with....steered into certain directions.
Cultivated if you will.

Now I wonder if our scientists are actually having their best ideas
being "beamed" into their brains
by the aliens. Technologies feed to us in a controlled fashion.

No, seriously.

"The NEOs (Near Earth Objects) under scrutiny are between one
kilometre and 10 km in size (0.6 to six miles). A 1 km object would be
large enough to cause considerable local devastation but not global
catastrophe.

A 10 km asteroid would devastate life on Earth.

Astronomers estimate that there is about a 1% chance that the Earth
will be hit by a damaging NEO of 10 km size during the next million
years. For smaller NEOs, say 300 metres in size, the probability of a
strike in the next 100 years is also 1%.

Old March 7th 07, 04:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article .com,
"GatherNoMoss" wrote:

Why am I hearing more and more about dangerous asteroids ?

Probably because (1) we're discovering them more and more, due to better
searching, and (2) people in general are starting to realize that this
is maybe a problem we should consider doing something about.

It's perhaps been known since the Reagan years of a large asteroid in
a collision course with the Earth (or perhaps the Moon).

It has?!? I thought I was on top of such things, but I haven't heard of
this. Which asteroid is this?

SDI technology is being developed primarily to enable us to destroy
or deflect this asteroid.

It is?!? Since when? Here I thought it was about shooting down enemy
missiles.

Thinking that the news of this disastor would potentially cause a
societal breakdown, SDI was
publically presented as a nuclear missile shield. Quite clever as the
technology for both a missile
shield and a asteroid killing capability would closely overlap.

That's odd, I don't see any overlap at all. Can you explain what
technology would conceivably be useful for both?

Also, I doubt the wisdom of such a cover-story. Nobody's opposed to
protecting Earth from asteroidal impacts (though some people may not be
keen to pay for it). But lots of people are opposed to SDI on the
grounds that it disrupts the balance of power, and encourages rogue
nations to strike before the missile shield is completed.

I consider that recent successful space mission in which NASA
perfectly smacked that copper slug into an comet a huge victory for
SDI.

Hmm, that's odd, since again it doesn't seem to have any relevance at
all for SDI. (It also didn't make much of an impression on the comet,
did it?)

It would appear that we maybe able to pull this asteroid destroying
thing off.

Why do you say that?

Which leads to a very strange observation...

The coincidence of it all ! The timing of all this is just too neat
and tidy.

Maybe this should be a clue that you're imagining things.

Consider, humanity just happens to recently achieve the capablity to
observe and map a significant number of these NEOs to have an impact.
Humanity just happens to just recently gain the technological
capabilities to make SDI work.
Then this asteroid, a very rare occurance in itself, just happens to
come along at this very time in humanties development ??!!

Which asteroid is this, again?

No no no I don't buy it !

Good. Neither does anybody else, as it's nonsense. Why are you
claiming it then?

Fellow humans...we're being manipulated. Very carefully interfered
with....steered into certain directions.
Cultivated if you will.

Consider a tin-foil hat. That should protect you from Them.

Now I wonder if our scientists are actually having their best ideas
being "beamed" into their brains
by the aliens. Technologies feed to us in a controlled fashion.

No, seriously.

OK, if you're serious, then skip the tin foil hat. Go see a
psychiatrist, who can prescribe medication.

Astronomers estimate that there is about a 1% chance that the Earth
will be hit by a damaging NEO of 10 km size during the next million
years. For smaller NEOs, say 300 metres in size, the probability of a
strike in the next 100 years is also 1%.

Doesn't jive with your claim that there is a known asteroid due to
impact Earth in the next 40-50 years, does it? Can you see the
discrepancies in your own arguments?

Best,
- Joe
Old March 7th 07, 05:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy
GatherNoMoss

On Mar 7, 11:31 am, Joe Strout wrote:
It's perhaps been known since the Reagan years of a large asteroid in
a collision course with the Earth (or perhaps the Moon).

It has?!? I thought I was on top of such things, but I haven't heard of
this. Which asteroid is this?

Of course you haven't heard about it.
Didn't I say that you, and the public at large will be kept in the
dark ?

I've arrived at my conclusion through a similar manner that
astromomers use to
discover many blackholes. Through the effects a blackhole has upon
its surroundings.
The blackhole is not directly observed, but when a large object
mysteriously whips around a point in space, atronomers know something
massive is there causeing it.
Likewise I surmise that an asteroid is posing a danger to Earth
because
of the behaviour of key people.

SDI technology is being developed primarily to enable us to destroy
or deflect this asteroid.

It is?!? Since when? Here I thought it was about shooting down enemy
missiles.

Yes....I said that's what you're supposed to think. And indeed, you
do think it.

Thinking that the news of this disastor would potentially cause a
societal breakdown, SDI was
publically presented as a nuclear missile shield. Quite clever as the
technology for both a missile
shield and a asteroid killing capability would closely overlap.

That's odd, I don't see any overlap at all. Can you explain what
technology would conceivably be useful for both?

Targeting ultra-high velocity objects primarily.

But lots of people are opposed to SDI on the
grounds that it disrupts the balance of power, and encourages rogue
nations to strike before the missile shield is completed.

Yes and I've always thought these reasons nonsensical.

I consider that recent successful space mission in which NASA
perfectly smacked that copper slug into an comet a huge victory for
SDI.

Hmm, that's odd, since again it doesn't seem to have any relevance at
all for SDI. (It also didn't make much of an impression on the comet,
did it?)

Again, it was a victory in targeting.
Seems to me that mission was a complete success.
It wasn't meant to destroy the comet.

OK, if you're serious, then skip the tin foil hat. Go see a
psychiatrist, who can prescribe medication.

Why is this common response to radical propositions ?

Astronomers estimate that there is about a 1% chance that the Earth
will be hit by a damaging NEO of 10 km size during the next million
years. For smaller NEOs, say 300 metres in size, the probability of a
strike in the next 100 years is also 1%.

Doesn't jive with your claim that there is a known asteroid due to
impact Earth in the next 40-50 years, does it? Can you see the
discrepancies in your own arguments?

No I see no discrepancies at all.
I posted that bit to illustrate how rare these events are. Which
helps
illustrate the improbable coincidence of our technological
development and rare event occurance.

And at some point, a major impact will indeed be 40-50 years away,
even if such an event has a 1% chance in 1 million years. Doesn't mean
it won't happen.
I don't understand your problem with this part.

Old March 7th 07, 05:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 7 Mar 2007 09:15:34 -0800, in a place far, far away, "GatherNoMoss"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

[...]

These are the words of someone suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.
I would get help, if I were you. But you probably won't.
Old March 7th 07, 05:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hyper

On Mar 7, 6:31 pm, Joe Strout wrote:
In article .com,

"GatherNoMoss" wrote:
Why am I hearing more and more about dangerous asteroids ?

Probably because (1) we're discovering them more and more, due to better
searching, and (2) people in general are starting to realize that this
is maybe a problem we should consider doing something about.

It's perhaps been known since the Reagan years of a large asteroid in
a collision course with the Earth (or perhaps the Moon).

It has?!? I thought I was on top of such things, but I haven't heard of
this. Which asteroid is this?

Assteroid Lenin-666

Old March 7th 07, 05:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article ,
h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

I've arrived at my conclusion through a similar manner that
astromomers use to
discover many blackholes. Through the effects a blackhole has upon
its surroundings.
The blackhole is not directly observed, but when a large object
mysteriously whips around a point in space, atronomers know something
massive is there causeing it.
Likewise I surmise that an asteroid is posing a danger to Earth
because
of the behaviour of key people.

These are the words of someone suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.
I would get help, if I were you. But you probably won't.

I agree with Rand, and if it helps any, I have degrees in both
psychology and neuroscience. Your symptoms are pretty classic. It's
nothing to be ashamed of; it's a disease, just like hypertension or
diabetes. It typically appears in the early twenties, and more often in
males than in females. With treatment, you have a good chance of living
a reasonably normal life. Of course the problem is, one of the effects
of the disease is to make its sufferer believe they are sick and that
anyone trying to help them is out to get them.

So, my effort here is probably wasted, but I've tried. Please at least
consider the possibility that we're right. It hurts nothing to be
evaluated, if you don't have schizophrenia, then the doctors will tell
you so and you can go cheerfully back to constructing your conspiracy
theories. But if you do, they will be able to help, and you'll live a
much better life. It's a progressive disease, so don't wait until
you're living on the street shouting at passers-by -- get to a doctor
while you still (maybe) have enough rationality to do so.
Old March 7th 07, 05:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:47:39 -0700, in a place far, far away, Joe
Strout made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

In article ,
h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

[...]

I think you mean "...don't believe they are sick."

It really is a frustrating ailment to deal with.
Old March 7th 07, 06:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Mike Combs[_1_]

"GatherNoMoss" wrote in message
oups.com...

I wonder about SDI and how stubbornly it was pushed upon us by Reagan
and also
by the fact that subsequent Presidents, including Clinton, did not
try to cancel this expensive and
"controversial" project.

Clinton did far more than merely decline to cancel the program. He started
it back up again after it had previously been shut down. Which is difficult
to reconcile with the popular notion that SDI was nothing more than a
right-wing wet dream.

SDI technology is being developed primarily to enable us to destroy
or deflect this asteroid.

Put the idea of destroying the asteroid right out of your thinking. The
mass would remain, and simply would be distributed over a much broader area,
possibly setting half the world on fire. Deflection is really the only
option.

Quite clever as the
technology for both a missile
shield and a asteroid killing capability would closely overlap.

Actually, they would be quite different techologies, with little or no
overlap.

?

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old March 7th 07, 10:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hyper

On Mar 7, 8:47 pm, "Mike Combs"
wrote:
"GatherNoMoss" wrote in message

oups.com...
SDI technology is being developed primarily to enable us to destroy
or deflect this asteroid.

Put the idea of destroying the asteroid right out of your thinking. The
mass would remain, and simply would be distributed over a much broader area,
possibly setting half the world on fire. Deflection is really the only
option.

Wouldn't "setting half the world on fire" be preferrable to
devastating quakes, tsunamis AND setting half the world on fire?
Also, if the asteroid is fragmented far enough some pieces will miss
Earth entirely. Not a good thing but under desperate circumstances ...