Pole flips of Earth (magnetic)

Old June 6th 05, 05:24 PM
Starlight

Default Pole flips of Earth (magnetic)

I read that magnetic poles flip every so often. Now why on Earth do the
happen, and just how could something of that scale take place?

Anyone know the theory...?

cheers, me deers!!!

s-s

Old June 6th 05, 07:38 PM
Popocatépetl

Hello, Starlight!
You wrote on 6 Jun 2005 09:24:53 -0700:

S Anyone know the theory...?
S cheers, me deers!!!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ield_flip.html

With best regards, Popocatépetl.

Old June 6th 05, 07:47 PM

"Starlight" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read that magnetic poles flip every so often. Now why on Earth do the
happen, and just how could something of that scale take place?

Anyone know the theory...?

cheers, me deers!!!

It never stops moving, http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/faq.html

"The magnetic north pole moves by a significant but variable amount from day to day and
year to year (on the order of 40 kilometers or 25 miles)"

Old June 7th 05, 07:08 AM
Chris Taylor

"Starlight" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read that magnetic poles flip every so often. Now why on Earth do the
happen, and just how could something of that scale take place?

Anyone know the theory...?

cheers, me deers!!!

s-s

An interesting and controversial view was put forward by Charles Hapgood in
his book "The Earth's shifting crust" in 1958. He published the book after
his theories gained some degree of support from Einstein.

He believed that the earth's crust slid on the liquid magma below it.

The theory is interesting and coupled with Immanuel Velikovsky's book "Earth
in Upheaval" ask questions about:

Evidence for tropical forests to found in polar regions, Corals found in
Newgounland, Ferns, Fossils, Coal & fossilized tree stumps in Antartica,
Palm leaves in Spitzbergen .... and more.

The controversial bit is the association of these works with the search for
Atlantis. Hapgoods work's began when his students asked him about Atlantis.
The works are often refered to by nutter's in general but do make for
interesting reading regardless.

Take a look he http://www.crystalinks.com/crustal.html

Regards

Chris

Old June 7th 05, 07:21 AM
Charles Gilman

There's a big difference between 40km per day and 40km per year (curious
that figures of 4*10^x m should keep cropping up like that!)! I tried to
find out more detail through the links, but they are broken.

"D" wrote in message

"Starlight" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read that magnetic poles flip every so often. Now why on Earth do the
happen, and just how could something of that scale take place?

Anyone know the theory...?

cheers, me deers!!!

It never stops moving, http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/faq.html

"The magnetic north pole moves by a significant but variable amount from

day to day and
year to year (on the order of 40 kilometres or 25 miles)"

Old June 7th 05, 09:18 AM
Paul Buglass

"Chris Taylor" wrote in message
"Starlight" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi Chris,

That sounds just like good old fashioned "Plate Tectonics", i.e. the Earth's
crust does "float" on the magma below, and slowly drifts about over
geological timescales.

What was different about Mr Hapgood's work? (apart from the Atlantis bit).

Very best wishes and clear, dark skies.

--

/Paul B, York, UK.
http://homepages.tesco.net/paul.buglass/astrohome.htm

Old June 7th 05, 02:43 PM
Chris Taylor

"Paul Buglass" wrote in
message ...

Take a look he http://www.crystalinks.com/crustal.html

Hi Chris,

That sounds just like good old fashioned "Plate Tectonics", i.e. the
Earth's
crust does "float" on the magma below, and slowly drifts about over
geological timescales.

What was different about Mr Hapgood's work? (apart from the Atlantis bit).

Its the "slowly" bit that differs. I've not read either his 1950's book or
the 1970's revision thereof. The original thoughts led him to believe that
the shift was sudden, as in days. Through scientific pressure he later
submitted that a few thousand years for the 'sudden' shift was more likely.
Still, curious stuff though given the mass reports of a great flood from
different cultures around 12 000 years ago mark and the impact that a rapid
tectonic shift may have had (if it did...). Could make the December Tsunami
of last year look like a splash in the village pond?

Regards

Chris

Old June 7th 05, 03:39 PM
Mike Williams

Wasn't it Starlight who wrote:
I read that magnetic poles flip every so often. Now why on Earth do the
happen, and just how could something of that scale take place?

Anyone know the theory...?

I don't think that there are any simple explanations.

Magnetohydrodynamic theory is complicated and not very intuitive. If you
plug the equations into a computer simulation and let it run then you
get something that exhibits similar behaviour. So we can say that we
understand the basic equations that cause the behaviour, but we don't
currently have any simple logic that explains why the equations should
behave that way.

Here's a useful page
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/29dec_magneticfield.htm

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure
Old June 7th 05, 06:39 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Chris Taylor
writes

"Paul Buglass" wrote in
message ...

Take a look he http://www.crystalinks.com/crustal.html

Hi Chris,

That sounds just like good old fashioned "Plate Tectonics", i.e. the
Earth's
crust does "float" on the magma below, and slowly drifts about over
geological timescales.

What was different about Mr Hapgood's work? (apart from the Atlantis bit).

Its the "slowly" bit that differs.

Corrections welcomed, but I think the other big difference is that
Hapgood's idea involves a true motion of the polar axis, while plate
tectonics assumes the poles remain more or less fixed.
"True polar wander" is a minority view at the moment, and assumes the
shift takes millions of years.
I haven't read Hapgood, but I wonder if his idea owes something to
Draysonian cycles, which are also fairly well discredited.
And I may be unfair, but I wonder what time scale Einstein was thinking
about when he wrote that much-copied quotation. Or, indeed, his
qualifications as a geologist. It's a bit like Sir Fred Hoyle's forays
into biology.
Old June 8th 05, 06:47 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Paul Buglass wrote:
What was different about Mr Hapgood's work?

Hapgood's work is utter pseudoscientific crap. He proposes that Earth's
crust "displaces" as an entity. He proposes that stuff that took several
millions of years to occur 700 or so million years ago took place over
several days (or, revised, to a few thousand years) during the
Pleistocene.

If someone starts touting Hapgood, a simple counter is to ask him to
provide a sound physical/mathematical basis for Hapgood's proposed
mechanism of "Earth Crustal Displacement".

See also, the links at:
http://www.intersurf.com/~chalcedony...e.shtml#link10

Another thing that comes from Hapgood, and used to support the stupid
ECD notion, is his "Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings" that claims that the
Piri Reis map shows part of the (ice-covered) coastline of Antarctica.
This is, quite simply, a consequence of a thorough lack of understanding
of portolan maps.
(see http://www.megaliths.info/PseudoSite/reiswasright.html)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +