Glenn speech

Old December 2nd 04, 03:06 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:35:34 -0500, in a place far, far away,
"Richard.Glueck" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Worse still, I can not possibly see how a new vehicle is going to be designed,
built, tested repeatedly until it's man-rated, put aboard an as yet unknown
heavy-lift booster, and sent repeatedly to the moon, on $15 billion.

Do you know what "man-rated" means?

Are you unaware of the improvements in design capability,
productivity, and knowledge about such things since the 1960s?

rest of ignorance about space policy, and policy in general, snipped
Old December 2nd 04, 03:12 AM
Pat Flannery

Richard.Glueck wrote:

Yes I do. Were you even there to witness it when it happened the first time? You
think a national program is going to rely on impirical data without test it each
step of the way? Do you think anyone is going to put there life on the line in a
deep space vehicle made out of mathematics and good wishes? Try reading about
developing Gemini and Apollo, or even the shuttle, before you and your syncophantic
gleeclub start criticizing those who have their feet based in reality.

Speaking of the sycophantic glee club:
http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/004747.html

Pat

Old December 2nd 04, 03:12 AM
Kim Keller

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message ...
Eighteen times a day? Sixteen? Close enough for geezertalk....
He trusted the rubes wouldn't know the difference.

OK, six years later, where's all these geriatric medical breakthroughs
that Glenn promised his flight would bring? Where are the scientific
insights leading to better health for old folks? Glenn doesn't care. He got
his.

Talk among astronauts is, he did good as a crewman, behaved honorably
and responsibly. Most folks never objected to a 'lifetime achievement'
flight award (that achievement happened to include major water carrying
for Clinton White House coverups, but that was his job). But the pretense
to older Americans that he was flying FOR THEM, to make THEIR lives
better -- that stuck in a lot of craws, including (as you can guess) mine.

Jim O

PS Eighteen times a day is an orbital period of 80 minutes. A couple of
hundred miles underground orbit, I'd guess.An hour and 29 minutes
is 16.2 times a day.

Jim, I think you misunderstood what he said. Here it is again:

On his astronaut experience
Glenn shared an inside look that most of us can only dream of, saying, "You
go around the earth about once every hour and 29 minutes. It's about 18
times the normal speed of rotation of the earth."

He says that from the window of a space craft, the time between the sun
rising and setting appear 18 times the normal speed.

He's talking about orbital velocity, not number of orbits per day. he
got the orbital period right. "18 times the normal speed of rotation
of the earth" is roughly 18,000 mph. Yes, he's a little high for
actual orbital velocity, but he was speaking in general terms he hoped
his audience would understand. He was saying that the Sun rose 18
times faster than it does when seen from Earth's surface.

I will agree with your dislike for his flight, though. The only
spaceflight-related thing it proved was that a man of his age could do
well in orbit.

-Kim-
Old December 2nd 04, 03:15 AM
Andre Lieven

Pat Flannery ) writes:
Andre Lieven wrote:

LOL ! See Bush I's space initiative, announced at the Apollo 11
Plus 20 celebrations.

Don't forget Agnew's trip to Mars plan.

Indeed, the Space Task Group Report, yes ?

That one got a good laugh.

Well, it would have been nice...

I wonder if the president's great support for space exploration has
anything to do with the fact that his brother is governor of Florida?

And, that the Governator is in CA. ?

Duh...could it?

Could be...

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old December 2nd 04, 03:20 AM
Andre Lieven

Rand Simberg ) writes:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:02:39 -0600,
Pat Flannery wrote:

Andre Lieven wrote:

LOL ! See Bush I's space initiative, announced at the Apollo 11
Plus 20 celebrations.

Don't forget Agnew's trip to Mars plan.
That one got a good laugh.

Yup. You're both apparently easily amused. A symptom of a subpar
intelligence. Would you both like a rubber band to play with?

" If you CAN'T answer a person's arguments, don't worry ! You
can always call him names ! " Oscar Wilde.

Thanks for continuing your nothing-but-ad-hom-meltdown, oh neocon.

Nixon had to contend with a Democrat congress. Like Kennedy, Dubya
has a congress of his own party, and a NASA adminstrator of his
choosing, and he's pushed through a NASA budget to support his goals.

We will see. That Bush The Younger made no comment about it, at the
State Of The Union, says loads, none of it good for the initiative.

Unlike, say, JFK, who at least several times, managed to highlight
his call for the Moon landing, after presenting it to Congress,
a task that Bush The Younger also has yet to manage a try at.

Sorry to disappoint, Pat. I know that you continue to regret that
president chimpy hasn't died from a pretzel yet.

shrug I'll give his writers credit for today. They recalled
Bush believing that the Canadian PM's name ( In early 2000 )
was Jean Poutine...

I wonder if the president's great support for space exploration has
anything to do with the fact that his brother is governor of Florida?
Duh...could it?

Duh...probably not.

No proof offered ? Claim fails.

As usual for neocon Rand The Ridiculous.

Andre

Old December 2nd 04, 03:38 AM
Bill the Cat

"Richard.Glueck" wrote in
:

Worse still, I can not possibly see how a new vehicle is going to be
designed, built, tested repeatedly until it's man-rated, put aboard an
as yet unknown heavy-lift booster, and sent repeatedly to the moon, on
$15 billion.

Who is saying that all the above can be done for that amount? Certainly not
NASA.

It can not happen. I am amazed that people think it can.

I am amazed you think you can get away with such a transparent strawman.

If Bush truly wanted to push space as a goal, we'd have
heard about it in the State of the Union address, given immediatly
after the announcement.

Why? He'd given an entire speech devoted to the subject just a few days
before, and backed it up by requesting a 6% funding increase in his budget
a few days afterward.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:44 AM
OM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:17:13 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

Do you have a point?

....Well, you do, Rand. On the top of your head.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 2nd 04, 03:49 AM
Pat Flannery

Andre Lieven wrote:

shrug I'll give his writers credit for today. They recalled
Bush believing that the Canadian PM's name ( In early 2000 )
was Jean Poutine...

Speaking of Bush's syntax: http://slate.msn.com/id/76886/
Some of these are absolute classics:
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies
against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim
of a hat."—Washington, D.C., Sept. 17, 2004

Pat

Old December 2nd 04, 04:13 AM
OM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:11:48 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

Would you both like a rubber band to play with?

....If you're referring to the one you used to tie off your balls so
you could hit those high notes easier doing Bee Gees songs at the
local karaoke bar, no thanks. We know where it's been.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 2nd 04, 04:14 AM
Rand Simberg Non Grata

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:01:50 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

Do you know what "man-rated" means?

I see you have no answer to this question.

....I don't see you offering one either, Rand. Typical Fox journalistic
integrity at work, natch.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Glenn speech Jim Oberg Policy 77 December 7th 04 08:18 AM
John Glenn Loses his Soul Mark R. Whittington Policy 35 March 10th 04 10:28 PM
No Moon, Mars, or Space in the State of the Union Speech [was Audio of Bush's Speech] GCGassaway Space Shuttle 1 January 22nd 04 12:22 PM
Bush's speech: a load of wishful thinking Greg Kuperberg Policy 8 January 17th 04 11:06 PM
Bush speech on Moon cancelled/postponed... John Ordover Policy 24 January 6th 04 10:12 AM