Newbie scope question (again)

Old March 9th 04, 01:36 PM
HobGobSnakyWaky

Default Newbie scope question (again)

I'm awaiting the arrival of my first scope. Its only a 4.5" reflector
with a focal length of 900mm. My problem is I've just been offered a
4.5" catadioptric scope with a focal length of 1000mm at a very silly
price. Assuming build quality is the same on both, and space is not an
issue (it'll be travelling in the back of a landrover) which would
people opt for? I know in theory the 1000mm would give higher
magnification, but would this be offset by degradation of the image
through the lens?

Hope someone can give an opinion. I'm down to my skull through head
scrathing.

Stuart
Old March 9th 04, 02:42 PM
David Harris

HobGobSnakyWaky wrote:
I'm awaiting the arrival of my first scope. Its only a 4.5" reflector
with a focal length of 900mm. My problem is I've just been offered a
4.5" catadioptric scope with a focal length of 1000mm at a very silly
price. Assuming build quality is the same on both, and space is not an
issue (it'll be travelling in the back of a landrover) which would
people opt for? I know in theory the 1000mm would give higher
magnification, but would this be offset by degradation of the image
through the lens?
Hope someone can give an opinion. I'm down to my skull through head
scrathing.
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

just before anyone else asks : do you have the mfrs names, brands or model numbers for the two you
have / are considering... ?

The names themselves can give us a lot of data...

DH
Old March 9th 04, 02:59 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"David Harris" wrote in message
HobGobSnakyWaky wrote:
[...]

A good 4.5 inch catadioptric can be a superb instrument and is likely to
keep its collimation and generally survive much better being bounced around
in the back of a Land Rover, but as David said, make and model is an
important guide to quality

Robin

Old March 9th 04, 10:06 PM
HobGobSnakyWaky

HobGobSnakyWaky wrote:
[...]

Ay-up, first I should point out I'm not able to spend wodges of cash so both
scopes are at the lower end of the market. The 900mm reflector is a
skywatcher with motorised eq 2 mount for £114, and the 1000mm catadioptric
if from a company called Seben for the discount price of £49 ( i'm looking
to do some work for them so they knocked the price down a bit)

Stu

Old March 10th 04, 07:21 AM
Dr DNA

skywatcher with motorised eq 2 mount for £114, and the 1000mm catadioptric
if from a company called Seben for the discount price of £49 ( i'm looking
to do some work for them so they knocked the price down a bit)

How did you manage to wngle that discount ?

Old March 10th 04, 04:15 PM
boab1965

Are the Seben telescopes good?

I have just started getting an interest in the planets and the stars.
Can't believe you can actually see planets with the naked eye (easily amussed).

I started looking in Astronomy Websites for tips on my first telescope.

Can someone tell me if this is a descent telescope?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=10 955.

It appears to be ok and your the first person out with EBay that has mentioned them.

Thanks

Boab

Old March 10th 04, 05:01 PM
Robin Leadbeater

just before anyone else asks : do you have the mfrs names, brands or

model
numbers for the two you
have / are considering... ?

The names themselves can give us a lot of data...

DH

Ay-up, first I should point out I'm not able to spend wodges of cash so

both
scopes are at the lower end of the market. The 900mm reflector is a
skywatcher with motorised eq 2 mount for £114, and the 1000mm catadioptric
if from a company called Seben for the discount price of £49 ( i'm looking
to do some work for them so they knocked the price down a bit)

£49 is very cheap for a decent 4.5inch CAT scope (expect to pay perhaps 10x
this) so I would be cautious. The 4.5 inch skywatcher is a much more well
known animal - IMO, a basic, honest beginners scope. The price sounds good
to me for one with a motorised mount and even if you grow out of it, you
would probably find a buyer.

Robin

Old March 10th 04, 05:32 PM
HobGobSnakyWaky

The £49 price tag is a special discounted price, normally goes for around
£130. The 900mm arrived this morning though so I think I'll take the easy
way out and stick with this one. Just need to get some decent eyepieces now.

Stuart

Old March 11th 04, 06:32 PM
Jim Easterbrook

In article , boab1965
wrote:

Can someone tell me if this is a descent telescope?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=10 955.

It looks very like this one from "Teleskop Service" to me:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3279670719

If you prefer an equatorial mount, you might also consider this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3280541884
--
Jim Easterbrook http://astro.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/
N51.36 E0.25