New Observing Chair finished

Old December 31st 03, 10:16 PM
Tom Hole

Default New Observing Chair finished

This is somewhat on topic in that everyone should have an observing chair.
Adds 2" of aperture and it sure makes viewing a lot more enjoyable.

My first chair was already becoming vertically challenged with my XT10
sitting on an eq platform which was on wheels. When I got the Starmaster, it
was woefully inadequate. So, I started searching for a suitable
replacement. A guy in my club had one of Jim Fly's Catsperch chairs (not
the Pro version) and it looked to be just the ticket. I was gonna build the
Catsperch Pro version from gouge I found on the internet, but I decided to
support Jim and ordered his plans and hardware package:

http://home.earthlink.net/~flyj/cperch1.html

It arrived Xmas eve, but I was on holiday, so I just started building it
yesterday. Finished it except for the urethane today. A fantastic chair.
Here are some pics (my first chair is there for reference):

http://www.tomhole.com/Observing%20Chair.htm

As you can see, it is considerably taller. It holds my 220lbs frame with no
issues. This is a perfect solution for me.

The plans with hardware cost $49 with shipping. This made the job
incredibly easy. Although certainly not required, the hardware package
saved me 10 trips to the dreaded pit of despair that is called Lowes. The
cut and trace patterns were a God send and saved me more trips to Lowes for
replacement lumber. The lumber is all red oak and cost $70 at the
aforemention Hades of Hardware (can you tell I love Lowes?).

This is an easy kit to build and requires no special tools. I used a cheapo
Skil jigsaw to cut out everything. Made for some interesting shapes I
used a cheapo belt sander to fix the zig zags in the cuts. The only other
tool required is a drill. Good thing, too, as that's all the tools I have.

So far, I've put in 10 hours on it. All that's left is to put the finish
on, but that will have to wait until some clouds roll in. I am very pleased
with this chair and Jim Fly. A very nice fellow and a great American. My
first chair cost about $30 in materials and took about the same amount of
time. But this Catsperch is a lot nicer. I highly recommend it to anyone
considering an observing chair.

CLear skies and seated observing

Tom

Old January 3rd 04, 11:43 PM
Orest Skrypuch

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:16:32 UTC, "Tom Hole" wrote:

This is somewhat on topic in that everyone should have an observing chair.
Adds 2" of aperture and it sure makes viewing a lot more enjoyable.

My first chair was already becoming vertically challenged with my XT10
sitting on an eq platform which was on wheels. When I got the Starmaster, it
was woefully inadequate. So, I started searching for a suitable
replacement. A guy in my club had one of Jim Fly's Catsperch chairs (not
the Pro version) and it looked to be just the ticket. I was gonna build the
Catsperch Pro version from gouge I found on the internet, but I decided to
support Jim and ordered his plans and hardware package:

snip

The plans with hardware cost $49 with shipping. This made the job
incredibly easy. Although certainly not required, the hardware package
saved me 10 trips to the dreaded pit of despair that is called Lowes. The
cut and trace patterns were a God send and saved me more trips to Lowes for
replacement lumber. The lumber is all red oak and cost $70 at the
aforemention Hades of Hardware (can you tell I love Lowes?).

It might have cost you about the same to get the StarBound chair:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product...&pid=2427&m=61

Looks to be a similar design, but is a retail prebuilt product. It seems the total cost
would be about the same, but of course without the fun of building it yourself. g

--
* Orest

~~~
Ontario, Canada

Old January 4th 04, 02:19 AM
Tom Hole

wrote:

snip

It might have cost you about the same to get the StarBound chair:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product...&pid=2427&m=61

Looks to be a similar design, but is a retail prebuilt product. It seems

the total cost
would be about the same, but of course without the fun of building it

yourself. g

--
* Orest

Orest,

I was going to get the Stardust chair from Hands on Optics, and also
considered the Starbound chair. But neither went high enough. I needed
something that would go to 38" seat height for my 11" f/5.4 Starmaster
sitting on the eq platform with wheels. EP height at zenith is around 66".
The Starbound goes to 32" and the Stardust to 35". So, I needed to build.
It was fun and took no real skill or tools (I know, I'm bragging again).
Now I have room to grow. This Catsperch should work nicely when I get the
14.5" Starmaster with full goto and track. Did I say that out loud?

Clear skies,

Tom