newbie question

Old September 17th 03, 11:10 PM
jojo

Default newbie question

how do I know if I need to culminating?

Old September 18th 03, 12:23 AM
Jan Owen

Do you got it up?

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address
"jojo" wrote in message
. com...
how do I know if I need to culminating?

Old September 18th 03, 03:18 AM
Bill Foley

No problem, if you need to bad enough, you'll have a wet dream....
Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old September 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:10:58 GMT, "jojo" ...reflected:

how do I know if I need to culminating?

I take it that you have a Newtonian; a reflector; mirrors?

Tell us the brand, and the diameter of the primary mirror/lens.

Alan
Old September 18th 03, 05:33 AM
Bill Foley

Oh, jojo meant "collimate"??
Sorry for what I thought was meant...

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old September 18th 03, 06:25 AM
bwhiting

For starters, look into the eyepiece hole (I am assuming
a reflector telescope here, with 2 mirrors) without an
eyepiece, and see if the complete reflection of the primary mirror is
reflected off the secondary mirror up thru the eyepiece
hole, AND if the secondary mirror
is centered in your eyepiece hole, which you can tell
by looking at the secondary holders (spider) mount.
They should be roughly equidistant in length.
If its not centered nearly perfectly, then you
are probably out of collimation....for starters.
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Old September 18th 03, 01:56 PM
jojo

"Alan W. Craft" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:10:58 GMT, "jojo"

....reflected:

how do I know if I need to culminating?

I take it that you have a Newtonian; a reflector; mirrors?

Tell us the brand, and the diameter of the primary mirror/lens.

Alan

Alan,
It's a Bushnell (this is where I insert justification. It was a gift. It is
better than nothing)
675x4.5" Reflector
Focal length (mm)
900
thanks....
jojo

Old September 18th 03, 01:56 PM
jojo

"jojo" wrote in message
. com...
how do I know if I need to culminating?

Sorry folks. A hasty post that spell check took over!
jojo

Old September 18th 03, 01:57 PM
jojo

"bwhiting" wrote in message
For starters, look into the eyepiece hole (I am assuming
a reflector telescope here, with 2 mirrors) without an
eyepiece, and see if the complete reflection of the primary mirror is
reflected off the secondary mirror up thru the eyepiece
hole, AND if the secondary mirror
is centered in your eyepiece hole, which you can tell
by looking at the secondary holders (spider) mount.
They should be roughly equidistant in length.
If its not centered nearly perfectly, then you
are probably out of collimation....for starters.
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Thanks Tom. I'll look at those tonight...
jojo

Old September 18th 03, 02:05 PM
Trane Francks

On 2003-09-18 21:56 +0900, jojo wrote:

It's a Bushnell (this is where I insert justification. It was a gift. It is
better than nothing)

It most assuredly is, jojo. My first scope, a Nashica M100 50mm
refractor, ranks near the bottom of the heap of dept. store junk,
yet it still comes out to play from time to time. No need to
apologize about your scope. The best scope is the one you own and
use.

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan
//