See a comet tonight in binoculars or small telescope

Old February 12th 04, 06:37 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Default See a comet tonight in binoculars or small telescope

The comet 2002 T7 (LINEAR) is currently located very close to the bright
star Algenib (Gamma Peg), making it a very easy target over the next few
evenings from northern and mid-northern latitudes. For best results go
to a dark site as twilight ends. Look toward the west and identify the
setting constellation Pegasus. The comet will appear as a smudge of
light to the "left" of Algenib in binoculars. A short tail may be
visible in telescopes.

For a finder chart showing the position of the comet from February 12th
through February 16th go he

http://www.skyhound.com/dl/T7.GIF

The comet is moving down and to the left in the chart, so the upper
position plotted is for the evening of the 12th at 7 PM. This SkyTools
2 chart is made for a latitude of 40N, a site where 6th magnitude stars
are just barely visible, and simulates the view (on the right) through
basic 7x50 binoculars. The chart should also be useful for other
locations and other instruments. The best time to observe the comet
will vary widely with latitude (as will the altitude of the comet when
it gets dark enough to see it), but it will always be best right at the
end of evening twilight.

Clear skies,
Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply remove spleen

Old February 12th 04, 09:45 PM
Florian

Greg, thanks for the reminder! I've been following T7 off and on for the =
last few weeks from home. It's been fairly easy to spot in 11x70 =
binoculars and 4" f/6 refractor. But i always like to see interesting =
passes near bright stars!

-Florian

Old February 12th 04, 10:48 PM
Joe S.

Thanks, Greg.

Say, is the comet bright enough so I can see it through these snow clouds
that have been here for three days?

:-)

--

----
Joe S.

Old February 12th 04, 11:20 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Joe S. wrote:

Thanks, Greg.

Say, is the comet bright enough so I can see it through these snow clouds
that have been here for three days?

All I really know is that it makes a great binocular object, if not for
any other reason than I was able to run outside, confirm seeing it (who
needs dark adaption?) and run back inside before I froze my a** off. ;-)

Clear skies,
Greg

Old February 12th 04, 11:26 PM
Shawn Grant

I would like to but SkyTools doesn't have a clouds begone feature.

Old February 12th 04, 11:26 PM
Shawn Grant

I would like to but SkyTools doesn't have a clouds begone feature.

Old February 12th 04, 11:28 PM
Shawn Grant

Say, is the comet bright enough so I can see it through these snow clouds
that have been here for three days?

:-)

You have been having clouds. So have I. What are the chances of us both
having clouds?