Newbie -- needs suggestion on how best to get into astronomy

Old September 18th 03, 11:43 PM
Kirk

Default Newbie -- needs suggestion on how best to get into astronomy

I would like to get into astronomy but want to do it right.. I have
read a few books, FAQs etc and it seems that the best thing to do
right now is to buy a pair of binoculars before I buy a telescope.
However, I went to Outdoor World today and it seems that I now need a
buyers guide for binoculars. I thought that it was going to be as
simple as picking up a pair of 10 x 50 but the price on the ** x 50
binoculars ranged from $40 - $1000 . There is obviously something
that I need to know besides the 10 and the 50? What else about
binoculars sets the price?

So now I'm back to asking the question: Given a budget of about
$500.00 what would you recommend that I but to get started with
astronomy?
Old September 19th 03, 02:46 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

(Kirk) wrote in news:674f9f4b.0309181443.77ff06f4
@posting.google.com:

I would like to get into astronomy but want to do it right.. I have
read a few books, FAQs etc and it seems that the best thing to do
right now is to buy a pair of binoculars before I buy a telescope.
However, I went to Outdoor World today and it seems that I now need a
buyers guide for binoculars. I thought that it was going to be as
simple as picking up a pair of 10 x 50 but the price on the ** x 50
binoculars ranged from $40 - $1000 . There is obviously something
that I need to know besides the 10 and the 50? What else about
binoculars sets the price?

So now I'm back to asking the question: Given a budget of about
$500.00 what would you recommend that I but to get started with
astronomy?

If you are in the US, get an 8" Dob from Orion or Hardin Optical. If you
want US made, then check out Discovery telescopes 8", which costs a
little more than the others but is still within your budget. You could
get the 10 x 50 binos as well if you take the cheaper options. As far as
binos go - make sure they have BAK4 prisms. If you intend to hand hold
the binos be careful of the weight and the magnification. It varies from
person to person but I find that about 10 X magnification is the max I
can cope with hand held. Obviously the heavier the binos are, the harder
it is to hold them steady for a long period of time. Yes you can spend
heaps on binos like Fujinon or the Canon image stabilised ones but you
will probably be much happier to have a scope as well, so go for a
moderate price $150. I have a pair the the Nikon Lookout 10 X 50 which
seem to give good views.

Rgds Llanzlan

Old September 19th 03, 04:39 AM
Duke

Hi Kirk, A pair of binoculars is a good start but I would not spend a lot
on them unless you think this is as far as you will go. Any binoculars as
long as they have a good clear image is fine. It is best to get a wide
angle pair and not too powerful unless you plan to get tripods etc.
I use a 7x35 just for planetary and star clusters.
For a good starter scope, stay away from the little 60mm refractors on a
yoke mount that you see in the discount stores. They will sour your
interest.
Aperture is the first consideration with a telescope and you can expect
about 50x per inch of aperture.
Celestron has a newtonian reflector which is 4.5" aperture and that can give
you up to about 225x power. It also has a motorized computer goto mount
with a complete tutorial and list of objects built into the computer. It
can point you to thousands of deep sky objects, track them as you view, and
tell you all about them as well.
This scope was selling for $350 to $400 up to recently.
Costco has been selling them for less than $200 which is a great deal! the
model is the NexStar 114GT. Make sure of the model because they sell a 114
firstscope which has no computer goto or tracking and is about the same
price!
You definitely do not want that one!
This is a scope that will always be useful even if you get bigger equipment
later. I have a Meade 8" SCT and a
5" refractor but I purchased several of the NexStar 114GTs when I saw the
great price. I gave one to my
Son who is in college and he loves it.
Dobs are for special people who like to push and pull the tube around to try
and find objects. Try to go to a star party and try out the various types
before you spend your money on something you might not enjoy.
George
om...

Old September 19th 03, 11:36 AM
Bobsprit

So now I'm back to asking the question: Given a budget of about
$500.00 what would you recommend that I but to get started with
astronomy?

Don't waste your money. Use that cash to buy a good 6 or 8 inch scope and
you'll be far happier. Good binoculars are great in ADDITION to a scope.
I've seen far too many people dissapointed with binocs as an entry point. I've
yet to see anyone overwhelmed by the complexity of a 500 dollar scope.

Good luck.

Capt RB