The Sun's Atmosphere

Old September 12th 03, 05:04 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default The Sun's Atmosphere

The sun's atmosphere is much hotter than its surface. I was told that
is the result from continual explosions created by magnetic fields.Again
the Curie principle seems not to apply here. Sun's
atmosphere has wind speed at the poles of over 30,000 mph and in gusts
can go 10 times faster. As big as the sun is that sounds amazing. Does
not sound right to say Sun's surface. Yet in books I've read they say
Sunspots are dark because they are cooler than the Sun's surface. What
is the Sun's surface? Where does the strong magnetic waves come from?
What is the escape velosity of the Sun? What are the odds that come to
play as the Sun is 400 times bigger than the moon,yet they look the same
size,because the moon is 400 times closer? Bert

Old September 12th 03, 06:05 AM
J. Scott Miller

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
The sun's atmosphere is much hotter than its surface. I was told that
is the result from continual explosions created by magnetic fields.Again
the Curie principle seems not to apply here. Sun's
atmosphere has wind speed at the poles of over 30,000 mph and in gusts
can go 10 times faster. As big as the sun is that sounds amazing. Does
not sound right to say Sun's surface. Yet in books I've read they say
Sunspots are dark because they are cooler than the Sun's surface. What
is the Sun's surface?

The surface of last scatter, just like the CMBR. The photosphere, the lowest
level in the Sun's atmosphere, has depth to it, evidenced by the limb darkening
observed. At the base of the photosphere, the temperature and gas density are
such that it is opaque to light, giving us the impression, 93,000,000 miles away
that it has a surface.

Where does the strong magnetic waves come from?

Hot rotating plasmas can generate magnetic fields much like the current in a wire.

What is the escape velosity of the Sun?

Vesc = sqrt (2GM/R), all known quantities.

What are the odds that come to
play as the Sun is 400 times bigger than the moon,yet they look the same
size,because the moon is 400 times closer? Bert

1, since that is what we observe, and coincidental only that we live in that
time when the Moon's outward motion matches up the sizes. In the past, we would
have always observed total solar eclipses when in the path, in the future, we
will only observe annular eclipses. So, simply put, coincidences happen.

Old September 12th 03, 06:26 AM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

The sun's atmosphere is much hotter than its surface.

The regions above the visible disk of the sun (the photosphere) are hotter
than the point where we see the visible disk of the sun. These upper layers
are the Chromosphere and the Corona. These are low density regions where
tempertature is more a scale of how fast the atoms and ions are moving rather
than how hot something would get when exposed to the thin gasses.

Does
not sound right to say Sun's surface. Yet in books I've read they say
Sunspots are dark because they are cooler than the Sun's surface. What
is the Sun's surface?

The sun does not have a solid surface (in a sense, it is "all atmosphere" as
it is a huge ball of gas). However, in visible light, it does appear to have
a well-defined disk or a spherical shape, and it is the outer edge of this
visible sphere which is sometimes called "the surface". More correctly, it
should be called the outer edge of the part of the sun known as the
Photosphere. Sunspots are imbedded in the upper portions of the photosphere
and are typically around 2500K cooler than the surrounding regions.

Where does the strong magnetic waves come from?

The magnetic fields are generated from the motion of charged particles in the
gas, typically electrons and protons. If you move a charged particle, you
will generate a magnetic field. Move a lot of them, and you can have large
scale magnetic structures develop producing sunspots and sunspot groups.

What is the escape velosity of the Sun?

At the outer edge of the photosphere, the escape velocity is 617.7 km/sec.

What are the odds that come to
play as the Sun is 400 times bigger than the moon,yet they look the same
size,because the moon is 400 times closer?

We happen to be alive at just the right time. In the distant future, the moon
will have moved far enough away that it won't cover the sun, and total
eclipses will no longer occur.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old September 12th 03, 02:10 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

David,and Scott Seems the sun's "surface" is a ball of light. Could it
be a liquid? We are told stars are gas balls,and now we are also told
that stars are made "largely" of plasma(another form of matter). Plasma
is a liquid,so it has to be the most common liquid in the universe.
Well let me list some interesting facts about our sun,and tell me if
they are right. 1 million Earth's could fit inside the sun. 333,000
Earth's to equal the sun's mass.(that's a lot more material) Every
second 5 million tons of matter is converted into energy . The sun
produces the amount of energy as 92 billion 1 megaton nuclear bombs each
second. It is amazing that gravity can create a stable mass so
big(864,950 diameter) and keep it going for 10 billion years. You would
think the moment fusion took place everything would blast apart.
Like I always posted "gravity can be the weakest force,or the strongest
force" That in the micro realm it created energy into particles,and in
the macro realm it evolved every thing,and gave shape to the universe.
Bert

Old September 12th 03, 07:49 PM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

Seems the sun's "surface" is a ball of light. Could it
be a liquid?

No, the temperature is too high. The gas is made mostly of Hydrogen and
Helium and is partially ionized. Its density is fairly low and the atoms move
about as they do in a gas.

We are told stars are gas balls,and now we are also told
that stars are made "largely" of plasma(another form of matter). Plasma
is a liquid,so it has to be the most common liquid in the universe.

No, plasma is not a liquid (you are thinking of the liquid portion of blood
which is also sometimes called "plasma"). True plasma is a collection of
charged particles at fairly high temperture. It is more like a gas than
anything else.

Old September 12th 03, 10:42 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

David I truly thought plasma in a star was a very hot gas compressed
into a liquid state. I know blood plasma is blood that is clear.
I can't remember where I got the idea that plasma created in a star was
liquid??? Why is it called the fourth state of matter? We think of hot
gases staying as a gas.(just using this heat to expand) When we see
those eruptions coming out of the sun,and curling and falling back to
the sun the material looks fluid. Bert