Should closest stars have clearer names, like Proxima Leonis?

Old October 9th 07, 09:21 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Should closest stars have clearer names, like Proxima Leonis?

Most of the closest stars to our solar system don't have a common
constellation-based names. I suggest that the closest in each
constellation have an altername name starting with Proxima, followed
by the constellation name, as is already done for Proxima Centauri.
For example, Wolf 359 would be Proxima Leonis, or Ross 154 would be
Proxima Sagittarii. This would make any discussion of the closest
stars easier to imagine. You can see more of my suggestions at
www.ClosestStars.com, along with some 3-D maps of the closest stars.
Any comments?

Old October 10th 07, 07:42 AM posted to sci.astro
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article . com,
wrote:

Most of the closest stars to our solar system don't have a common
constellation-based names. I suggest that the closest in each
constellation have an altername name starting with Proxima, followed
by the constellation name, as is already done for Proxima Centauri.
For example, Wolf 359 would be Proxima Leonis, or Ross 154 would be
Proxima Sagittarii.

....and Sirius would be Proxima Canis Majoris.... ;-)

In those constellations where the closest star is bright enough to
already have a common name, which star in that constellation should
be named "Proxima"? The second closest star? Or should the closest
star in such cases be goven a double name?

This would make any discussion of the closest
stars easier to imagine. You can see more of my suggestions at
www.ClosestStars.com, along with some 3-D maps of the closest stars.
Any comments?

Should the Sun be included? If so, the Sun becomes Proxima Arietis some
time in April, Proxima Tauri in May-June, etc etc..... :-)

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old October 11th 07, 12:58 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

On Oct 10, 2:42 am, (Paul Schlyter) wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
[...]

------

No, I would suggest that the proxima name would always apply to the
closest star in the constellation.
If that star, such as Sirius or Epsilon Eridani, already has a common
name, then the proxima name would just not be used. Keep in mind that
most stars have multiple names from different catalogs, but usually
one name is the most common. No the Sun would not be included (just
as it is never called Alpha Arietis, etc., and has never been listed
in any other star catalogs).