Cryosat

Old October 7th 05, 06:46 PM

Default Cryosat

I understand that Cryosat is operational or close to it. Are there any
early data available, perhaps in preprint form, or any papers ?
Especially concerning East Antarctica ?

sidd

Old October 8th 05, 03:50 PM
Alastair McDonald

AFAIK it will be launched today. There are no results yet!

Cheers, Alastair.

PS. This is the third time I have sent this message because it is not
appearing on either of the newsgroups.

Old October 9th 05, 04:14 AM
Manfred Bartz

Unfortunately, the CryoSat Mission was lost due to launch failure.

see: http://www.esa.int/esaLP/LPcryosat.html

Today at 21.00 CEST Mr Yuri Bakhvalov, First Deputy Director
General of the Khrunichev Space Centre on behalf of the Russian
State Commission officially confirmed that the launch of CryoSat
ended in a failure due to an anomaly in the launch sequence and
expressed his regret to ESA and all partners involved.

If the Cluster mission loss and subsequent replacement with the
Cluster-2 mission is any indication, then there might be a replacement
for CryoSat in a few years.

--
Manfred Bartz