Saturn seasons

Old June 10th 18, 07:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Saturn seasons

In a little over a week, the South Pole will arrive at its maximum distance from the circle of illumination thereby will be at the center of the 33,312 mile Antarctic circle.

https://vimeo.com/172453097

No doubt they will trundle out the usual 'tilting' Earth next week while the beautiful and graceful rotations remain ignored even when other planets help explain why, in order to maintain constant orientation to the stars throughout an orbit, the Earth must turn once to the central Sun hence the June Solstice and Polar midnight at the South Pole and Polar noon at the North polar latitude.

In any case, contemporary time lapse is genuinely beautiful and I am in love with the journey of my life with the journey of the planet.

Old June 11th 18, 10:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_S...-tilt-23.4.gif

https://vimeo.com/172453097

The Polar points exist on the circle of illumination on the Equinoxes and midway to the circle of illumination on the Solstices.The surface rotation parallel to the orbital plane alters the daily arcs so even though the following graphic falsely attributes the direction from 'orbital' North-West to South-East in direction for the September Solstice, it is a small error due to unfamiliarity with the principles involved (even if I would notice) -

http://afewbitsmore.com/img/2015_ecliptic.png

The broken line through the center of the Earth is important for referencing the constant relationship of the North and South poles as they turn ,along with the entire surface of the Earth, parallel to that line as a function of the Earth's orbital motion.

It should have dedicated graphics of course but it is always on offer for those who can work with the principles behind the seasons for our home planet and all other planets.

Old June 12th 18, 09:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

* That would be the September Equinox where the direction of rotation is 'orbital' North West to South East using the East-West orbital plane as a reference -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_S...-tilt-23.4.gif

http://afewbitsmore.com/img/2015_ecliptic.png

The circle of illumination provides another visible reference and especially using the rotation of the North and South poles along with the entire surface of the Earth parallel to that orbital plane. The most dramatic experience of this is certainly Polar sunrise and sunset where the Sun comes into view or turns out of sight for 6 months at a time at either poles.

Old June 28th 18, 06:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/raw_images/323982/

The phases of the Earth seen from Saturn compliment the perspectives which will always divide faster moving planets from slower moving ones depending on which planet in the solar system the images are taken from, only the furthest and closest planets from the Sun are denied one perspective or the other.

I believe the astronomical community can do better by collating imaging into a simple narrative and finally put the remainders the the geocentric perspectives to rest or the troublesome celestial sphere perspectives. While many online forums do carry imaging like the one above, only in SAA have these imaging given or assigned relevance in a meaningful way. The fact that nobody comes here anymore is irrelevant.

Old June 28th 18, 09:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 10:54:29 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/raw_images/323982/

The phases of the Earth seen from Saturn compliment the perspectives which will always divide faster moving planets from slower moving ones depending on which planet in the solar system the images are taken from, only the furthest and closest planets from the Sun are denied one perspective or the other.

I believe the astronomical community can do better by collating imaging into a simple narrative and finally put the remainders the the geocentric perspectives to rest or the troublesome celestial sphere perspectives. While many online forums do carry imaging like the one above, only in SAA have these imaging given or assigned relevance in a meaningful way. The fact that nobody comes here anymore is irrelevant.

Do you know what else you could see from Saturn? That would be our own moon rotating on its axis, once for each revolution it makes around the Earth.
Old June 28th 18, 10:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 9:19:54 PM UTC+1, palsing wrote:

Do you know what else you could see from Saturn?

Anyone, at least with common sense, could have made the observation that we extract the information that we along with the other planets travel around the Sun by assigning relevance to different aspects like phases for a faster moving planet or the temporary falling behind in view (direct/retrograde motion) that is easily discernible for the further out planets -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

People must imagine that these observations must come with some sort of formal decorum when really they pop up out of the blue and the astronomer takes notice. Nobody pointed out before that observations from Mercury wouldn't show phases of any of the other planets while observations from Venus would show phases of Mercury but even when people seem hard to please nowadays, these things delight those who can appreciate them for their newness.

Old June 29th 18, 03:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 2:03:02 PM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
[...]

It may be 'newness' to you, but to many of us, it is not. Many of us have been aware of your new perspectives for a very long time. Congratulations to you for finally understanding some of these little details.

Now, about that moon of ours... do you finally understand that from Saturn, for example, one would observe it to rotate on its axis once for each of its revolutions around out Earth? If not, well, I guess it is back to the drawing board for you...
Old June 29th 18, 07:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 3:19:38 AM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
[...]

Easy to be nonplussed despite the individual effort to untangle different perspectives which caused perceptual obstructions including the awkward direct/retrograde motion of the faster moving Venus -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYwNvjr7Lg

It means that the daily change in position of the background stars using a central/stationary Sun as a foreground reference is proof of the Earth's orbital motion and essential in making sense of Venus phases and its smaller orbital circumference and faster motion around the Sun. I would show you the animation but Sky&Telescope have pulled the graphic from YouTube so the images will suffice -

http://www.insideastronomy.com/uploa...0_7_128459.jpg

It is no mean feat to provide proof of the Earth's orbital motion alone minus any effect of daily rotation including circumpolar motion of the stars. It is as though you have to step off that rotating celestial sphere carousel to enjoy motions of the planets and the Earth as they really are, it may not be for you but others can do better.

Old June 29th 18, 08:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 29 June 2018 08:45:52 UTC+2, 139½ wrote:
but others can do better.

No. _ALL_ others can do better.
Beware the chronic creosote fixer.
Swaying like a snake oil salesman on his worn out beer crate.

His mummy made a psychopath, his motives white as snow
And everywhere that Dumbty went, his lawyers had to go
Until he fired the last of them and tweeted them to death
Now naked before the cameras he gave his usual, coiffured show
Until the rednecks abandoned him for a really sassy cowgirl. ;-)
Old July 2nd 18, 09:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 9:19:54 PM UTC+1, palsing wrote:

Do you know what else you could see from Saturn?

The phases of the Earth and the smaller orbital circumference which allows for that perspective just as Venus displays those orbital traits to us.

You would also see the stars transition from left to right of the Sun as Saturn orbits our central star just as we see the transition from the Earth for stars close to the orbital plane.

I am delighted that people do understand the new perspectives and I, as a Christian, am not put out by the lack of personal acknowledgement. Another Paul ,after which you are named, said what this total unselfishness means concisely -

"What have you that you have not received from God? and if you have received it, why do you glory as if you had not received it?"