Russia is just doing great:(

Old February 4th 12, 04:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default Russia is just doing great:(

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/station/exp30/120202/

I wonder how long till they kill a crew?

If theres no soyuz display at KSC this over pressured one would be a
good choice.......
Old February 4th 12, 04:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Feb 3, 10:29*pm, bob haller wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/station/exp30/120202/

I wonder how long till they kill a crew?

If theres no soyuz display at KSC this over pressured one would be a
good choice.......

Russia orders Soyuz delays in wake of test mishap
BY WILLIAM HARWOOD
STORY WRITTEN FOR CBS NEWS "SPACE PLACE" & USED WITH PERMISSION

Russian space managers have ordered delays for upcoming manned Soyuz
flights to the International Space Station in the wake of a test
mishap that over pressurized and damaged the descent module of a Soyuz
scheduled for launch March 30 to ferry three fresh crew members to the
International Space Station, a senior NASA managers said Thursday.

File image of a Soyuz capsule. The crew module is the center section.
Credit: Energia

Mike Suffredini, manager of the space station program at the Johnson
Space Center in Houston, said his Russian counterparts informed the
station team they had decided to scrap the damaged descent module and
to accelerate processing of the next downstream Soyuz to take its
place.

As a result, three of the station's current six crew members --
commander Daniel Burbank, Anton Shkaplerov and Anatoly Ivanishin --
will extend their stay in orbit by a month and a half and return to
Earth April 30 and the crew that had planned to launch on March 30 --
Gennady Padalka, Sergei Revin and Joseph Acaba -- will be delayed to
May 15.

"During pressure testing of the descent module and the pressurized
section of the propulsion module, the vehicle was over pressurized and
as a result, it caused a leak in the area where the hydrogen peroxide
system is housed for the thrusters that are used during descent and
landing," Suffredini told reporters.

"As a result of that, our Russian colleagues have chosen to not fly
this particular vehicle and they've set it aside. A commission has
been formed to try to figure out what the cause of the over pressure
event was and how to make sure it doesn't happen in the future."

The test mishap was the latest in a string of setbacks to rock the
Russian space program in recent months, including the destruction of
an unmanned Progress supply ship last August and the failure of a high-
profile Mars probe launched in November that crashed back to Earth
last month.

The Progress failure triggered a two-month launch delay for Burbank
and his crewmates, shortening their stay aboard the station. The
decision to extend their mission by six weeks in the wake of the Soyuz
over pressurization mishap will result in a 168-day flight, just
slightly less than the originally planned duration.

Outside experts have questioned Russian quality control, but
Suffredini said the problems appeared to be unrelated and he expressed
confidence his counterparts will get to the bottom of the latest
incident, implement corrective actions and move on.

"Our Russian colleagues have had a number of challenges last year
relative to launches," Suffredini said. "They take that very seriously
and are trying to look for any consistent clues across the board. None
of those incidents point toward the team that builds the Progress and
Soyuz spacecraft themselves at Energia in Moscow.

"This particular event is very unfortunate, but you know this is a
complicated business and things happen. To me, this is not indicative
of some over-arching problem at the Energia Corp. i do not know the
cause, it could have been a regulator failure, could have been human
error, they're of sorting that out. I have every confidence they'll
figure out the cause of this and rectify it for the future."

File image of Soyuz spacecraft and larger in assembly building.
Credit: Energia

Discarding the Soyuz damaged in the pressure test and moving up
downstream spacecraft will trigger delays for most of the year's
remaining crew rotation flights.

Acaba's crew, now tentatively scheduled for launch May 15, will use
the Soyuz that had been slated for use by Sunita Williams, Yuri
Malenchenko and Japanese astronaut Akihiko Hoshide. Williams and her
crewmates, originally scheduled for launch May 30, now hope to take
off around July 15 aboard a Soyuz originally scheduled for launch
Sept. 26.

The crew of that flight -- Oleg Novitskiy, Evgeni Tarelkin and Kevin
Ford -- will use the next Soyuz in the sequence and take off around
Oct. 15. The year's final flight, with Canadian astronaut Chris
Hadfield, Thomas Marshburn and Yuri Romanenko, will slip from Nov. 26
to around Dec. 5.

The launch delays will require several crews to extend their stays in
orbit to help minimize the time the station has to be manned by a
reduced crew if three. But overall, Suffredini said, the impact was
minimal.

"I have every confidence they will sort through this, figure out what
the fix is in the process and ensure that future vehicles don't get
damaged," he said.

Old February 4th 12, 09:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Feb 3, 7:29*pm, bob haller wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/station/exp30/120202/

I wonder how long till they kill a crew?

If theres no soyuz display at KSC this over pressured one would be a
good choice.......

Actually their astronaut kills are relatively low compared to ours.
Not that any kind of fly-by-rocket travel is ever going to be 100%
failsafe.

http://translate.google.com/#

Old February 4th 12, 03:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Feb 4, 3:02*am, Brad Guth wrote:
On Feb 3, 7:29*pm, bob haller wrote:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/station/exp30/120202/

I wonder how long till they kill a crew?

If theres no soyuz display at KSC this over pressured one would be a
good choice.......

Actually their astronaut kills are relatively low compared to ours.
Not that any kind of fly-by-rocket travel is ever going to be 100%
failsafe.

*http://translate.google.com/#
*Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / “Guth Usenet”

well when any space program has as many problems as russia does, it
leads to a systemic problem.

anyone can have say a valve failure. but russias problems are all over
the lot........

Old February 4th 12, 08:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Feb 4, 6:23*am, bob haller wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:02*am, Brad Guth wrote:

On Feb 3, 7:29*pm, bob haller wrote:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/station/exp30/120202/

I wonder how long till they kill a crew?

If theres no soyuz display at KSC this over pressured one would be a
good choice.......

Actually their astronaut kills are relatively low compared to ours.
Not that any kind of fly-by-rocket travel is ever going to be 100%
failsafe.

*http://translate.google.com/#
*Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / “Guth Usenet”

well when any space program has as many problems as russia does, it
leads to a systemic problem.

anyone can have say a valve failure. but russias problems are all over
the lot........

At least our NASA doesn't even bother to tell us the whole truth and
nothing but the truth from the very get go, so apparently that's even
better.

BTW; only Russians put fully robotic fly-by-rocket landers safely onto
the moon that could navigate about and supposedly even return samples
from the moon, and it seems we still can't do that, as well as their
being the only ones having gotten their probes safely onto the surface
of Venus.

Considering they don't spend 10% of what we have to spend, they seem
to have accomplished quite a bit that's mostly science instead of
worthless media eyecandy and hype.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old February 4th 12, 09:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Feb 4, 2:55*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

*Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / “Guth Usenet”- Hide quoted text -

yeah BUT current russia space operations are in shambles, if you use
success as a indicator.

today its just one failure after another........

just look at phobos grunt.......
Old February 4th 12, 11:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Feb 4, 12:17*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

I agree, that the Russian space exploration and even their ISS support
is kind of in the space toilet. They'll need to take it up a couple
notches in order to stay at least even.

However, many of their LEO and GSO stuff is coming right along,
whereas our NASA is looking for new ways of just paying their electric
utility bill so that their lights can stay on.

http://translate.google.com/#

Old February 5th 12, 12:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Feb 4, 5:27*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

phobos grunt.

russias space program is in disarray. likely cause will be poor
quality control with schedule coming first
Old February 5th 12, 06:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Feb 4, 3:05*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

So when is India going to pick up the slack?
Old February 5th 12, 06:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Feb 5, 12:11*am, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

So when is India going to pick up the slack?- Hide quoted text -

no thats irans job

Real Great Americans !!! ... Excellent Great Quality People !!! Bast[_2_] Misc 0 June 18th 10 09:41 PM
a straight line from Earth to Great Wall, to Great Attractor to Sloan [email protected] Astronomy Misc 2 May 7th 09 05:35 AM
#16 Great Bootes Void and Sloan Great Wall gives us the Axis of the [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 May 8th 08 06:51 PM
Great Temp. Great Heat Man verses Nature But not for Long Spacetimes [email protected] Misc 29 February 8th 08 12:34 AM
Jan 12 Marks Jubilee Birth Date Of Russia Great Space Designer Jim Oberg History 16 January 15th 07 07:43 AM