Well, they must be doing something right...

Old February 4th 12, 09:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Default Well, they must be doing something right...

Courtesy Ron Baalke sci.space.news

Feb. 3, 2012

Joshua Buck
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100

Nicole Cloutier-Lemasters
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111

RELEASE: 12-041

NASA RECEIVES SECOND HIGHEST NUMBER OF ASTRONAUT APPLICATIONS

HOUSTON -- More than 6,300 individuals applied to become a NASA
astronaut between Nov. 15, 2011 and Jan. 27, the second highest
number of applications ever received by the agency. After a thorough
selection process, which includes interviews and medical
examinations, nine to 15 people will be selected to become part of
the 21st astronaut class.

"This is a great time to join the NASA family," NASA Administrator
Charles Bolden said. "Our newest astronauts could launch aboard the
first commercial rockets to the space station the next generation of
scientists and engineers who will help us reach higher and create an
American economy that is built to last."

The Astronaut Selection Office staff will review the applications to
identify those meeting the minimum requirements. Next, an expanded
team, comprised mostly of active astronauts, will review those
applications to determine which ones are highly qualified. Those
individuals will be invited to Johnson Space Center for in-person
interviews and medical evaluations.

"We will be looking for people who really stand out," said Peggy
Whitson, chief of the Astronaut Office at NASA's Johnson Space Center
and chair of the Astronaut Selection Board. "Our team not only will
be looking at their academic background and professional
accomplishments but also at other elements of their personality and
character traits -- what types of hobbies they have or unique life
experiences. We want and need a mix of individuals and skills for
this next phase of human exploration."

NASA expects to announce a final selection of astronaut candidates in
the spring of 2013.

The selected astronaut candidates will have two years of initial
training. Subjects will include space station systems, Russian
language and spacewalking skills training. Those who complete the
training will be assigned technical duties within the Astronaut
Office at Johnson and, ultimately, missions.

Typically, the agency receives between 2,500 and 3,500 applicants for
astronaut vacancy announcements. The highest response occurred in
1978 with 8,000 applicants.

For more information about NASA astronauts, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/flynasa.html

-end-
Old February 4th 12, 12:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 4/02/2012 8:50 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

HOUSTON -- More than 6,300 individuals applied to become a NASA
astronaut between Nov. 15, 2011 and Jan. 27, the second highest
number of applications ever received by the agency.

Perhaps people feel that it'll be reasonably safe now that the shuttle
has been grounded.

Sylvia.
Old February 4th 12, 02:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Feb 4, 7:30*am, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 4/02/2012 8:50 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

HOUSTON -- More than 6,300 individuals applied to become a NASA
astronaut between Nov. 15, 2011 and Jan. 27, the second highest
number of applications ever received by the agency.

Perhaps people feel that it'll be reasonably safe now that the shuttle
has been grounded.

Sylvia.

perhaps its the tough economy?

more importandly why do we need more astronauts, with the end of the
shuttle, and no clear replacement beyond private operators.

do we really need more astronauts.

if private operations replace hauling people to LEO, and constellation
really flies, which i seriously doubt.....

and constellation has at most 2 flights a year how many astronauts are
really needed? to support constellation and the american part of ISS
Old February 4th 12, 03:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Catherine Jefferson

On 2/4/2012 4:30 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 4/02/2012 8:50 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

HOUSTON -- More than 6,300 individuals applied to become a NASA
astronaut between Nov. 15, 2011 and Jan. 27, the second highest
number of applications ever received by the agency.

Perhaps people feel that it'll be reasonably safe now that the shuttle
has been grounded.

I don't have the impression that safety (or lack thereof) is a
deal-killer for most people who want to be astronauts. Getting into
space -- actually doing the job -- is the draw. Until the SpaceX manned
spaceflight craft is available (2020, maybe?), there won't be much
chance of getting into space except perhaps by hitchhiking on Russian
spacecraft, which are notoriously unsafe. :/

If I were looking for a job as an astronaut, I'd study engineering and
then go to work for SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, or another private
spaceflight firm.

--
Catherine Jefferson
Blog/Personal: http://www.ergosphere.net
Old February 4th 12, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 5/02/2012 2:24 AM, Catherine Jefferson wrote:
[...]

Notoriously unsafe? 2020 for SpaceX's manned spacecraft? Where do you
get your information?
Old February 4th 12, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Invid Fan[_2_]

In article , Sylvia Else
wrote:

On 4/02/2012 8:50 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

HOUSTON -- More than 6,300 individuals applied to become a NASA
astronaut between Nov. 15, 2011 and Jan. 27, the second highest
number of applications ever received by the agency.

Perhaps people feel that it'll be reasonably safe now that the shuttle
has been grounded.

Or a combination of people being out of work and possible upcoming
military downsizing.

--
Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'

Old February 4th 12, 10:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On Feb 4, 1:50*am, Alan Erskine wrote:
[...]

Good pay. The chance to say I am an astronaut. Sure it has it
risks IF the big boys get some thing that flies for them but most
industrial age jobs (of the past) had risks beyond ink printer
poisoning.

Who knows these folks maybe right, we'll see in the future
if we as individuals make it there................................Trig
Old February 5th 12, 12:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Invid Fan wrote:
In article , Sylvia Else
wrote:

On 4/02/2012 8:50 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

HOUSTON -- More than 6,300 individuals applied to become a NASA
astronaut between Nov. 15, 2011 and Jan. 27, the second highest
number of applications ever received by the agency.

Perhaps people feel that it'll be reasonably safe now that the shuttle
has been grounded.

Or a combination of people being out of work and possible upcoming
military downsizing.

It won't be just the military that gets downsized....

.... [in the not too distant future] ...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

You have just entered the most exclusive process known to mankind.
The process by which we choose the next class of NASA Astronaut.

I'm here to inform this small group of you gathered here in Houston that you
have just entered the next phase of our selection process.

Look at the person to your left.
Now look to the person on your right.

Three of you won't be making it to the next round.

;-)

Dave
Old February 5th 12, 04:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

Look at the person to your left.
Now look to the person on your right.

Three of you won't be making it to the next round.

Might be more accurate to say- two of you won't make the next round, none
of you will fly.