One Way Trip to Mars?

Old November 22nd 03, 11:20 PM
Nomen Nescio

Default One Way Trip to Mars?

Its not a new idea and its not my idea. But, there have been those who
have suggested a trip to Mars should and must be a one-way trip.

Highlights of the argument:

A trip to Mars is dangerous. Multiply it several-fold if a return is
attempted. If astronauts manage to make it there in one piece, they would
be foolish to attempt a return flight. A one way trip is far safer and
brings it down to an acceptable risk venture.

One-way trips are not unprecedented. Most people who traveled from the Old
Word to the New did it one-way.

There is a lifetime of work for scientists to do if they go to Mars. To
foreshorten the work to a few weeks or months for an appointment with
returning spaceship would be a waste of science.

There would be plenty of volunteers for a one way trip.

Another nation may beat us to Mars (China) because it is infinitely easier
to go one way without the baggage of the return vehicle and its fuel. China
would have no qualms about bring back their space travelers.

Its a whole lot cheaper to do a one way trip and money is a major factor in
whether or not the Mars projects gets a go.

A one way trip can be accomplished much sooner than a round trip voyage. It
may even be almost off-the-shelf.

People who go to Mars to stay can be maintained with supply rockets until
they learn to become largely self-sufficient by extracting Martian
resources.

.................................................. .............

I am not the Nomen Nescio giving all the trouble on this newsgroup. Google
Group search shows thousands and thousands of "Nomen Nescio" posts, by an
thousands of individuals. It is a generic anonymous posting service
generating the name.

Old November 23rd 03, 01:19 AM
Charleston

The name you use regardless of how generated really has a bad denotation
here. Have you thought about posting through Google? You would get more

--

Daniel
http://www.challengerdisaster.info

Old November 23rd 03, 03:02 AM
Andy P. Jung

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message

One-way trips are not unprecedented. Most people who traveled from the Old
Word to the New did it one-way.

Yeah, I wouldn't go back to Word 97 now that I have Word XP.

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:23 AM
OM

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:02:02 -0600, "Andy P. Jung" spam@yourownrisk
wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't go back to Word 97 now that I have Word XP.

....But there were people who went from C&C Tiberian Dawn back to
original C&C.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 23rd 03, 04:25 AM
David A. Scott

Nomen Nescio wrote in
:

[...]

I think there are lots of us in the fifty and sixty age range
that would go even if there was no supply ships. Only send enough
for one year of oxygen and food. We die if you don't find a way to
thrive. Its a gamble but I think many would love the chance. I see
nothing wrong with it but I would bet management and the politicans
would never give us the chance. You are also correct in that the
chinese would do this since its really the only reasonable way to
get there the first few times. Besides if they get there first they
would declare it for china we can't let that happen.

.................................................. ............

I am not the Nomen Nescio giving all the trouble on this newsgroup.
Google Group search shows thousands and thousands of "Nomen Nescio"
posts, by an thousands of individuals. It is a generic anonymous
posting service generating the name.

Thats ok keep using no matter how much static you get.
If you feel the need to by anonymous keep doing it.

David A. Scott
--
My Crypto code
http://cryptography.org/cgi-bin/cryp...c/scott19u.zip
Old November 23rd 03, 06:11 AM
Derek Lyons

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
.. .

One-way trips are not unprecedented. Most people who traveled from the Old
Word to the New did it one-way.

However 99% of them did so long after the New was civilized and
considerable infrastructure in place.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old November 23rd 03, 02:46 PM
Roger Balettie

"Derek Lyons" wrote:
"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
One-way trips are not unprecedented. Most people who traveled from the

Old
Word to the New did it one-way.

However 99% of them did so long after the New was civilized and
considerable infrastructure in place.

Agreed... Lewis and Clark, for instance, set out to explore the American
Northwest with *every* intention of returning!

To establish a Mars exploration plan where the safe return of the crew is
not even a mission objective won't be undertaken until, as Derek points out,
the initial groundwork for sustainability *AND* a few there-and-back-again
missions have been completed.

Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer

Mars: meaningless step for man, giant waste for mankind geo Space Science Misc 0 April 3rd 04 02:09 PM
Mars Exploration 'By Mind Alone': Project for High SchoolStudents Cameron M. Smith Space Science Misc 3 January 30th 04 05:40 AM
Can Nozomi enter Mars orbit? Jim Kingdon Space Science Misc 5 November 29th 03 07:06 PM
Mars Gordon Muir Space Shuttle 1 August 15th 03 04:29 PM
Mars trajectory problems? Bill Clark Space Science Misc 0 July 13th 03 11:25 PM