Is a local supernova imminent?

Old October 3rd 04, 08:13 PM
Imperishable Stars

Default Is a local supernova imminent?

Scientists say supernova explosions imminent
NASA/JPL NEWS RELEASE

Three powerful recent blasts from three wholly different regions in
space have left scientists scrambling. The blasts, which lasted only a
few seconds, might be early alert systems for star explosions called
supernovae, which could start appearing any day.

Mo
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/30supernova/

Old October 3rd 04, 09:01 PM
Saul Levy

Mad Fool strikes again!

Since these events apparently have been going on all the time (we just
couldn't tell) and no local supernovae have occurred for a LONG time,
then no local supernovae are imminent. Go back to sleep!

Saul Levy

Old October 4th 04, 07:10 AM
Brilliant One

*yawn*

Knaw.

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A

Old October 5th 04, 01:21 AM
Wally Anglesea™

wrote:

Scientists say supernova explosions imminent
NASA/JPL NEWS RELEASE

Three powerful recent blasts from three wholly different regions in
space have left scientists scrambling. The blasts, which lasted only a
few seconds, might be early alert systems for star explosions called
supernovae, which could start appearing any day.

Mo
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/30supernova/

According to the Sunday (Sun- Herald, Sydney, Australia) newspaper
(but it doesn't give the source), the events are in the constellations
Aquarius, Pisces, and Aries, and "all were more than a billion light
years from Earth"

Hardly local.

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old October 5th 04, 05:22 AM
Brilliant One

Hardly local.

O really?

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."

Turtle wins the long race, against the hare. Or do you mean those chocolate
candy turtles in a box?

_______

Old October 5th 04, 09:05 PM
Imperishable Stars

wrote:

Scientists say supernova explosions imminent
NASA/JPL NEWS RELEASE

Three powerful recent blasts from three wholly different regions in
space have left scientists scrambling. The blasts, which lasted only a
few seconds, might be early alert systems for star explosions called
supernovae, which could start appearing any day.

Mo
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/30supernova/

According to the Sunday (Sun- Herald, Sydney, Australia) newspaper
(but it doesn't give the source), the events are in the constellations
Aquarius, Pisces, and Aries, and "all were more than a billion light
years from Earth"

Hardly local.

According to you dimwit, maybe so. But no one ever said you have the
absolute authority on what defines 'local'.

Old October 6th 04, 12:40 AM
Wally Anglesea™

wrote:

Scientists say supernova explosions imminent
NASA/JPL NEWS RELEASE

Three powerful recent blasts from three wholly different regions in
space have left scientists scrambling. The blasts, which lasted only a
few seconds, might be early alert systems for star explosions called
supernovae, which could start appearing any day.

Mo
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/30supernova/

According to the Sunday (Sun- Herald, Sydney, Australia) newspaper
(but it doesn't give the source), the events are in the constellations
Aquarius, Pisces, and Aries, and "all were more than a billion light
years from Earth"

Hardly local.

According to you dimwit, maybe so. But no one ever said you have the
absolute authority on what defines 'local'.

Ahem. Do you want to figure out which Galaxies are a billion light
years away?

Do you want to figure out how many galaxies are CLOSER than a billion
light years.

*YOU* thought (hoped) it was in our own galaxy, admit it.