New Astro Camera? On NPR today

Old August 23rd 11, 12:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

Default New Astro Camera? On NPR today

Early this morning when I was 1/ asleep, I thought I heard there would
be a segment on Subject. Anyone know more about it? I didn't see
anything on today's schedule.
Old August 23rd 11, 03:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 8/22/11 6:37 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
Early this morning when I was 1/ asleep, I thought I heard there would
be a segment on Subject. Anyone know more about it? I didn't see
anything on today's schedule.

Giant Camera Will Hunt For Signs Of Dark Energy

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/22/139849...of-dark-energy

"There's enough data that people know what we don't understand, but
there's not enough data to explain it yet," says Brenna Flaugher, a
physicist at Fermilab near Chicago, which assembled the Dark Energy
Camera. "There's too much room for the theorists to come up with crazy
ideas right now. And so there's lots of crazy ideas. And we need data."

"That's where this new 570-megapixel camera comes in. Flaugher says its
basic technology would be familiar to anyone who uses a digital
point-and-shoot. "The camera that we built is really very similar to the
digital cameras you can buy at Walmart or wherever," she says".

"After it's mounted on the Blanco 4-meter telescope, high in the Chilean
mountains, later this year, the camera will survey a large part of the
sky for faint galaxies at the distant reaches of our universe".