what would skylab look like if the micrometeorite shield hadn't failed during launch

Old April 18th 09, 04:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
bradhst

Default what would skylab look like if the micrometeorite shield hadn't failed during launch

Are there any drawings or images of what skylab would have looked like
had the launch mishap not occured?
Old April 18th 09, 05:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"bradhst" brad@sfh wrote in message
Are there any drawings or images of what skylab would have looked like
had the launch mishap not occured?

Search google images.

Old April 18th 09, 06:18 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

bradhst wrote:
Are there any drawings or images of what skylab would have looked like
had the launch mishap not occured?

http://www.friends-partners.org/part...0/10076019.jpg
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-404/p1.jpg
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...n-skylab2a.jpg

Pat
Old April 18th 09, 11:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matt J. McCullar

It would have had two large solar panels instead of just one.

Not long ago I saw a piece of artwork by the late s/f artist Kelly Freas on
display in a s/f convention art show that he had apparently been
commissioned by NASA to do before Skylab's launch. It clearly showed both
solar panels deployed.

Old April 19th 09, 12:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Matt J. McCullar wrote:
It would have had two large solar panels instead of just one.

Not long ago I saw a piece of artwork by the late s/f artist Kelly Freas on
display in a s/f convention art show that he had apparently been
commissioned by NASA to do before Skylab's launch. It clearly showed both
solar panels deployed.

It also would have had the black-and white painted thermal and
micrometeoroid shield over the midsection. This tore off during ascent,
revealing the gold-colored foil under it.
You can see the paint pattern on the shield in these photos:
http://www.launchcomplexmodels.com/P...73PC-180HR.jpg
http://www.apollosaturn.com/modeling/sa513.gif
http://www.realspacemodels.com/assets/images/sky.jpg
http://www.staynehoff.net/9-skylab-94.jpg

Pat
Old April 20th 09, 12:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
bradhst

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:20:21 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Matt J. McCullar wrote:
It would have had two large solar panels instead of just one.

Not long ago I saw a piece of artwork by the late s/f artist Kelly Freas on
display in a s/f convention art show that he had apparently been
commissioned by NASA to do before Skylab's launch. It clearly showed both
solar panels deployed.

It also would have had the black-and white painted thermal and
micrometeoroid shield over the midsection. This tore off during ascent,
revealing the gold-colored foil under it.
You can see the paint pattern on the shield in these photos:
http://www.launchcomplexmodels.com/P...73PC-180HR.jpg
http://www.apollosaturn.com/modeling/sa513.gif
http://www.realspacemodels.com/assets/images/sky.jpg
http://www.staynehoff.net/9-skylab-94.jpg

Pat

Thanks people. I wish the people behind the Space Voyagers toys would
make a skylab toy similar to the big talking Saturn V I have the non
talking version from before they made the talking version. I remember
watching one of the old In The News Segments on CBS with the announcer
saying the Sjylab is falling the Skylab is Falling shame they didn't
try to save it.
Old April 20th 09, 02:14 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

bradhst wrote:
Thanks people. I wish the people behind the Space Voyagers toys would
make a skylab toy similar to the big talking Saturn V I have the non
talking version from before they made the talking version. I remember
watching one of the old In The News Segments on CBS with the announcer
saying the Sjylab is falling the Skylab is Falling shame they didn't
try to save it.

Someone should bring out a cutaway model of Skylab in either 1/72 (or
even 1/144) scale.
I converted a Airfix 1/144th scale Saturn V S-IVB stage into a Skylab...
I thought that was going to be easy... it was _not_ easy:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/galle...sov_skylab.jpg
I've still got to fix the paint scheme on the Apollo CM.
That's from here BTW: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/gallery/pf_sov.htm
The Voskhod later got a more accurate upper retro module added, and lost
its twin long upper antennas.

Pat
Old April 20th 09, 02:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

bradhst wrote:
Thanks people. I wish the people behind the Space Voyagers toys would
make a skylab toy similar to the big talking Saturn V

Ever see this item BTW?:
http://www.famemaster.com/Product/4D...ay%20Model.htm
Not cheap by any means, but talk about a show-stopper.
They've also got a cutaway Saturn V on the way:
http://www.famemaster.com/Product/4D...away-Model.jpg

Pat
Old April 20th 09, 03:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

bradhst brad@sfh writes:

Thanks people. I wish the people behind the Space Voyagers toys would
make a skylab toy similar to the big talking Saturn V I have the non
talking version from before they made the talking version. I remember
watching one of the old In The News Segments on CBS with the announcer
saying the Sjylab is falling the Skylab is Falling shame they didn't
try to save it.

Well, they did try --- at least, they'd gotten design and
construction work started September 1977 for a propulsion module, with a
plan to have it complete and ready for launch in two years, which from
their projections then would be expected to be before the space station
fell out of orbit, and might be as late as the fifth flight of the space
shuttle as planned then. The propulsion module was being built more or
less on schedule up to December 1978, when it was clear the space shuttle
could not possibly launch before March 1980, and Skylab would most likely
fall before then, and in any case it was getting too hard to control the
station's attitude as the rescue plan would require.

(Oh, there's a space alternate-history for you: Skylab's boosted
by the last manned crew, or maybe a burning off of the Apollo-Soyuz
backup in 1975/76, so its orbit does last to 1983 or 84, but it has
worse attitude control problems so that shuttle and propulsion module are
ready, but the mission still can't be flown.)

--
Joseph Nebus
Old April 20th 09, 05:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"bradhst" brad@sfh wrote in message
Are there any drawings or images of what skylab would have looked like
had the launch mishap not occured?

Yes. ;-)

Try Google Images, or better yet, head to your local library and check out a
couple of books on Skylab.

Jeff
--
"Many things that were acceptable in 1958 are no longer acceptable today.
My own standards have changed too." -- Freeman Dyson

Gyro failed bob haller Space Station 9 May 4th 04 02:14 AM
Failed prophecy Hop David History 12 February 28th 04 12:42 AM
Micrometeorite Jeff Root Astronomy Misc 6 November 26th 03 08:40 PM
He failed astronomy Joe S. Amateur Astronomy 42 September 14th 03 05:44 PM