Software Question: KStar Linux

Old October 14th 03, 08:50 AM
kevin

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:28:34 +0100, Gautam Majumdar wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:45:29 +0100, kevin wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:59:43 -0700, Deanna Linux wrote:

I try asking question regarding K Stars (Astronomy Software 4 Linux)
but no one seems to know anything about. I am assuming some Linux user
here may know about it.

I have not used K-stars but have used XPLNS, you can find it at google.
If you have not tried it already it is very good.

Or try

http://www.astroarts.com/products/xplns

It is of course free and much the same as Redshift for Windows.

Yes, xplns is a superb program. Unfortunately, it can be run only with
glibc 2.2.X. It has not been updated to glibc 2.3.X. Most current linux
distros use the later version of glibc. It installs OK on systems with
glibc 2.3.x but won't run. xplns is available only in binary form as it
includes proprietary codes, thus you cannot compile it in your system
either.

Right thanks for that I did not know, I checked the link I gave and there
is a package available for Redhat Glibc2.3. I had xplns running fine on
slackware V7 but have recently upgraded to slackware V9 with Glibc2.3
I tried the Redhat package out of desperation but it wont work, I am
probably going to go back to slackware V7 anyway as I have had nothing
but problems with V9.

Old October 14th 03, 02:36 PM
kevin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:50:54 +0000, kevin wrote:

[...]

Ok my fault, just to put my above post right, the Redhat glibc2.3 package
DOES work on slackware V9, it seems because I was running XFree-3.3 I
had to install the XFree-4.x fonts.

I'll email the author cos he should know this and hopefully he will
add slackware V9 to his list as at the moment he only lists a very
old version.

Old October 15th 03, 07:06 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:50:54 +0100, kevin wrote:

[...]

You are right. The site was updated on the 6th of October. I did not
check it after that date. Thanks for pointing out the availability of the
new version.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to

Old October 15th 03, 07:06 AM
Gautam Majumdar

[...]

how to manage a "server farm" (caching on Linux or Unix) Robert SETI 34 June 26th 04 01:35 PM
Warning... Marty Amateur Astronomy 43 May 7th 04 01:19 PM
ODDS AGAINST EVOLUTION (You listenin', t.o.?) Lord Blacklight Astronomy Misc 56 November 21st 03 02:45 PM
linux astro image processing software Shawn Grant Amateur Astronomy 29 August 25th 03 02:45 AM