China aims for moon

Old November 28th 03, 05:24 AM
Poop Dogg

Default China aims for moon

I just heard on CNN that China has announced it plans to land a
human on the moon by 2020.

I don't like China but I think this is great news. Now the U.S.
will be under pressure to compete with the Chinese and return
to the moon, and possibly outdo them by putting an American on
Mars.

The Space Race needs to be reignited and with the Russians totally
broke the Chinese are our new competitors.

Old November 28th 03, 06:23 AM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:24:12 -0600, in a place far, far away, "Poop
Dogg" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

I just heard on CNN that China has announced it plans to land a
human on the moon by 2020.

I don't like China but I think this is great news. Now the U.S.
will be under pressure to compete with the Chinese and return
to the moon, and possibly outdo them by putting an American on
Mars.

Been there, done that.

The Space Race needs to be reignited and with the Russians totally
broke the Chinese are our new competitors.

This is exactly the nonsense that's put us in the box that we're
currently in.

Old November 28th 03, 06:54 AM
Dr. O

"Poop Dogg" wrote in message
news
I just heard on CNN that China has announced it plans to land a
human on the moon by 2020.

I don't like China but I think this is great news. Now the U.S.
will be under pressure to compete with the Chinese and return
to the moon, and possibly outdo them by putting an American on
Mars.

The Space Race needs to be reignited and with the Russians totally
broke the Chinese are our new competitors.

I've predicted this but no one would listen to me. I will be proven right.

Old November 28th 03, 09:01 AM
Paul Blay

"Dr. O" wrote ...

"Poop Dogg" wrote in message
The Space Race needs to be reignited and with the Russians totally
broke the Chinese are our new competitors.

I've predicted this but no one would listen to me. I will be proven right.

*pfft* If there was a _real_ swell of "Get back to the Moon now!" in
America triggered by Chinese astronauts in space it would have become
apparent by now.
Old November 28th 03, 09:03 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Paul Blay wrote:

"Dr. O" wrote ...

"Poop Dogg" wrote in message

The Space Race needs to be reignited and with the Russians totally
broke the Chinese are our new competitors.

Good for them. Let them make all the advances and pay all the billions.
We'll just buy the finished technology from them and save massive R&D costs.

Old November 28th 03, 09:16 AM
Paul Blay

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote ...
Paul Blay wrote:

"Dr. O" wrote ...

"Poop Dogg" wrote in message

The Space Race needs to be reignited and with the Russians totally
broke the Chinese are our new competitors.

Good for them. Let them make all the advances and pay all the billions.
We'll just buy the finished technology from them and save massive R&D costs.

If you're going to snip everything I wrote to reply to someone two posts
earlier please remove my name from your post as well.
Old November 28th 03, 10:34 AM
Len Lekx

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:24:12 -0600, "Poop Dogg"
wrote:

will be under pressure to compete with the Chinese and return
to the moon, and possibly outdo them by putting an American on
Mars.

I agree, but fear that the 'competition' will end up as another
flags-and-footprints stunt, much like Apollo ended up as.

Old November 28th 03, 11:47 AM
John Savard

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:03:51 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
wrote, in part:

Good for them. Let them make all the advances and pay all the billions.
We'll just buy the finished technology from them and save massive R&D costs.

Not a viable option for the U.S.. If China becomes the world leader in
technology, it would also replace the U.S. as the world's only
superpower. Unlike the U.S., it would have no compunctions about
respecting the sovereignity of foreign countries when that is not
convenient.

John Savard
Old November 28th 03, 05:15 PM
TKalbfus

*pfft* If there was a _real_ swell of "Get back to the Moon now!" in
America triggered by Chinese astronauts in space it would have become
apparent by now.

It a case of the "Tortoise and the Hare". Were way ahead of them so we sleep,
occasionally arousing ourselves to see if their catching up and then going back
to sleep. The people who don't like spaceflight don't want us to see what China
is doing, they want us to slumber so the little guy can take the Moon and Mars
while we slumber. Some people in this country are rooting for the foreigner
because they don't like the country they live in. Some people also deliberately
vote for whom they think will be the least effective, wimpiest candidate for
president. If Howard Dean finds alot of Arab-American on his reelection
committee, its not flatery, they vote for him because they believe he'll be an
ineffective, Jimmy Carter type president, they won't come out and say it of
course because they want him to win, but that's why their there.

Tom
Old November 28th 03, 05:20 PM
TKalbfus

I agree, but fear that the 'competition' will end up as another
flags-and-footprints stunt, much like Apollo ended up as.

Depends on whether they do another post Apollo Cowardly Retreat or not. You
think if we send a mission to Mars, a bunch of hippies will suddenly spring out
of the ground with signs that say, "Hell No! We won't Go!" and "LBJ, how many
kids have you killed today" and they'll through their Molotov cocktails and
feces bags at people until we retreat from Mars?

Tom