Three aerospace innovators Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and Orbital Sciences Combine strengths to design and build NASA's Orbital Space Plane

Old October 14th 03, 03:31 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default Three aerospace innovators Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and Orbital Sciences Combine strengths to design and build NASA's Orbital Space Plane

Contact: Barron Beneski, (703) 406-5000,

LOCKHEED MARTIN'S ORBITAL SPACE PLANE TEAM NOW INCLUDES
ORBITAL SCIENCES CORPORATION

Three aerospace innovators Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and Orbital
Sciences Combine strengths to design and build NASA's Orbital Space Plane

DENVER, Colo., October 14, 2003 - Lockheed Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT)
announced today that Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) will join the
Lockheed Martin/Northrop Grumman team that is competing for full-scale
development of NASA's Orbital Space Plane (OSP). Lockheed Martin will lead
the team as the system prime contractor. Northrop Grumman's role will be as
principal teammate while Orbital Sciences Corporation will serve as teammate
and subcontractor. NASA is expected to choose a prime contractor team by
August 2004 for full-scale development of an OSP.

"I am very pleased that our companies have agreed to combine our
capabilities on this extremely important program for NASA," said Michael
Coats, vice president of Lockheed Martin Space Systems' Advanced Space
Transportation programs. "Together, we will be able to design, develop and
provide whole systems integration and build a safe, reliable and credibly
cost-effective Orbital Space Plane for NASA. With the combination of
Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and Orbital Sciences, we will bring to
bear the most significant concentration of space flight experience and
expertise that NASA can rely upon in developing the next human space flight
system."

The Orbital Space Plane system will provide a crew rescue capability for the
International Space Station by 2008 and two-way crew transfer capability by
2012. The OSP will be launched into space aboard an Atlas V or Delta IV
launch vehicle system.

"We are very happy to be joining the Lockheed Martin team," said G. David
Low, vice president and deputy general manager of Orbital's Advanced
Programs Group. "The Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and Orbital Sciences
team collectively brings a wealth of experience to the OSP program. We are
looking forward to continuing our contribution to this next human space
flight vehicle as part of a strong team. Together, we are committed to
making it safe, simple and soon."

Headquartered in Dulles, Va., Orbital develops and manufactures small space
systems for commercial, civil government and military customers. The
company's primary products are satellites and launch vehicles, including
low-orbit, geostationary and planetary spacecraft for communications, remote
sensing and scientific missions; ground- and air-launched rockets that
deliver satellites into orbit; and missile defense boosters that are used as
interceptor and target vehicles. Orbital also offers space-related technical
services to government agencies and develops and builds satellite-based
transportation management systems for public transit agencies and private
vehicle fleet operators.

Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company, headquartered near Denver, Colo., is
one of the major operating units of Lockheed Martin Corporation. Space
Systems Company designs, develops, tests and manufactures a variety of
advanced technology systems for space and defense. Chief products include
space launch systems, defense systems, interplanetary and science
spacecraft, spacecraft for commercial and government customers, fleet
ballistic missiles and missile defense systems.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin employs about 125,000 people
worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development,
manufacture and integration of advanced technology systems, products and
services. The corporation reported 2002 sales of $26.6 billion.

###

Media Contacts:
Lockheed Martin: Joan Underwood, 303/971-7398; email,

Julie Andrews, 321/853-1567; email,

Orbital Sciences Corporation: Barron Beneski, 703/406-5528,

--

Jacques :-)

Editor:
www.spacepatches.info

Old October 15th 03, 12:21 AM
Dorriehp

Default Three aerospace innovators Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and Orbital Sciences Combine strengths to desig

PEACE ON EARTH