7x50 or 10x50's??

Old April 8th 04, 08:59 AM
mark.worthington

Default 7x50 or 10x50's??

Hi,

Could I have the groups opinion on which of these binoculars is best for
astronomy. I have a pair of 10x50's but keep reading that 7x50's are
best. I'm aware of teh issues of exit pupil, light pollution etc, but
wondered what people's real experiences have told them about 7x50's.
Also if it is the case that the latter are deemed better, could some
suggestions as to the best value pair be made? I have read that the
orion scenix 7x50's are very good. Anyone used these?

Thanks for your help

Mark

Old April 8th 04, 11:27 AM
Stephen Tonkin

mark.worthington wrote:
Hi,

Could I have the groups opinion on which of these binoculars is best for
astronomy. I have a pair of 10x50's but keep reading that 7x50's are
best.

Stick with the 10x50 unless you find them impossible to hand-hold. (Or
mount them, even on an up-turned broom). The 10x50 give better contrast
and IMNSVHO they are generally better.

But try lots of different ones -- not all 10x50 (or any other size) are
alike. Apart from pure optical quality, the vignetting due to internal
baffle placement means that some have a significantly bigger fully
illuminated than others. For example, I have a wide-angle 10x50 whose
fully illuminated field is less than a degree. Half a degree from the
edge of field it's equivalent to a 10x20 (yes, that's right; more than
3/4 of the light is cut off by baffles near the edge of field!).

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old April 8th 04, 11:34 AM
Chris Taylor

The higher the magnification, the more pronounced the movement of your arms
while attempting to observe. Any shakiness will lessen the both the pleasure
of observing, and the ability to study an object. 10x magnification is said
to be the upper limit for holding. I have a pair of 10 x 50's and am happy
with them, however I tend to use them to briefly scan the area that the
scope will be pointing to rather than observing. 7 x 50 will still detect
150 000 stars (50x more than the naked eye).

Regards

Chris

Old April 8th 04, 07:53 PM
mike ring

"mark.worthington" wrote in
:

Hi,

Could I have the groups opinion on which of these binoculars is best for
astronomy. I have a pair of 10x50's but keep reading that 7x50's are
best. I'm aware of teh issues of exit pupil, light pollution etc, but
wondered what people's real experiences have told them about 7x50's.

Get a tripod.

Even a cheapo one will transform bins like yours, and will be steady enough
for practical use.

Make sure it's nice and tall, as the bins will have to end up with the
eyepieces at or just above your eye height

mike r

Old April 8th 04, 10:45 PM
Martin

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
"mark.worthington" wrote in
:

Hi,

Could I have the groups opinion on which of these binoculars is best for
astronomy. I have a pair of 10x50's but keep reading that 7x50's are
best. I'm aware of teh issues of exit pupil, light pollution etc, but
wondered what people's real experiences have told them about 7x50's.

Get a tripod.

Even a cheapo one will transform bins like yours, and will be steady

enough
for practical use.

Make sure it's nice and tall, as the bins will have to end up with the
eyepieces at or just above your eye height

mike r

Or even a monopod. A monopod provides a reasonable amount of stability and
is easily movable.

Martin

Old April 9th 04, 05:49 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Martin wrote:
Or even a monopod.

Most of us have them already. We call them brooms. Brush-side up, with
the bins lightly bunjeed to the "head" (with an intervening jaycloth if
the broom is well-used for its intended purpose), they make wonderful
emergency monopods.