Longitude and Latitude

Old February 11th 04, 10:04 AM
Steve

Default Longitude and Latitude

Which is the best and most accurate way of getting your Longitude and
Latitude settings? . I live in Beverley, Nr Hull in East Yorkshire

Old February 11th 04, 10:13 AM
David Harris

Steve wrote:

Which is the best and most accurate way of getting your Longitude and
Latitude settings? . I live in Beverley, Nr Hull in East Yorkshire

streetmap.co.uk

stick your postcode in and get the Lat Long back..... easy !

hth

DH
N52:37:56, E2:27:10 courtesy of streetmap.co.uk
Old February 11th 04, 10:13 AM
Ian Tosh

Just type in your post-code at www.multimap.com

Your Lat, Long & OS Grid reference are shown below the map.

Ian

Old February 11th 04, 10:15 AM
Jacob Nilsson

"Steve" skrev i en meddelelse
Which is the best and most accurate way of getting your Longitude and
Latitude settings? . I live in Beverley, Nr Hull in East Yorkshire

Hello Steve, try searching here :
http://www.heavens-above.com/selectt...ecified&TZ=CET
also Sky and Telescope's Interactive Skychart (use Change Location)
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/skychart/

Best wishes and clear skies

Jacob

Old February 11th 04, 11:22 AM
Steve

They all give slightly different settings. Guess its near enough though.

N52:37:56, E2:27:10
53:50:07N (53.8352), 0:25:51W (-0.4309)
53.8500N, 0.4110W

Old February 11th 04, 11:44 AM
jochta

Steve wrote:
Which is the best and most accurate way of getting your Longitude and
Latitude settings? . I live in Beverley, Nr Hull in East Yorkshire

If you can work out your OS grid reference you could use my tool on the
Reading AS pages (http://www.readingastro.org.uk/tools.htm)

Or use a GPS.

All these different methods will give slightly different answers
depending upon which datum they are using. Different spheroids etc.

John
Old February 11th 04, 06:47 PM
Stephen Tonkin

http://www.maporama.com/share/

#1. Enter your address.

#2. Click "move the target" then click on your observing location

#3. Click "recenter" then click on target cross

#4. Read lat and long from below the map.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old February 11th 04, 07:18 PM
mike ring

"Steve" wrote in
:

Which is the best and most accurate way of getting your Longitude and
Latitude settings? . I live in Beverley, Nr Hull in East Yorkshire

If you register with heavens-above, (which is a very worthwhile thing to do
anyway, you will be guided to enter your location, and IIRC, they can get
you quickly and easily to your nearest bus stop.

And then you have a fast track to a goldmine of astro info, just for you
(and the chap next door)

mike r
Old February 12th 04, 12:24 AM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , seen in
news:uk.sci.astronomy, Steve posted at Wed, 11
Feb 2004 10:04:22 :-

Which is the best and most accurate way of getting your Longitude and
Latitude settings? . I live in Beverley, Nr Hull in East Yorkshire

In an urban area, postcode lookup will be good enough for most purposes.

In a rural area, ISTM that a single code might cover a considerable
length of road, and so give an inadequate result.

You should be able to get a good result from a largish-scale O.S. map,
assuming that you know in map terms where you are.

You could find someone with a GPS set.

However, if the purpose is to facilitate astronomical observation of
obscure objects, you should be able to fix your position reasonably well
by observing non-obscure objects.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old February 12th 04, 09:07 AM
Steve

Whats the bare minimum I'd need from the following? Would 53° 50' 7" ||
53.8354 be enough. Also sometimes the Latt says E or W.

53° 50' 7" , 0° 25' 50" || 53.8354 , -0.4308

Steve