First Telescope - Finally asking for advice and experiences!

Old January 27th 04, 05:49 AM
Edward Smith

Default First Telescope - Finally asking for advice and experiences!

All,

If you have been following my adventures (or misadventures), you know
that I have been trying to spec out a new telescope. Thanks to a
great many people, I have it narrowed down to 4. Before we get to the
actual telescopes, a bit of review:

1. Sky watcher for years with 10x50 binoculars.

2. Want something that will "Grow with me".

3. Want something that I can eventually marry to my cameras (2-3
years down the road).

4. Somewhat limited transport space (Honda Insight).

5. Have access to, and will eventually own, a 3 inch refractor.

6. Want something on a GEM.

7. Need to be able to set it up solo.

After looking through a bunch of telescopes and talking to many
people, I have narrowed my choices down to 4 telescopes. All are the
Celestron Advanced Series. All are available in a GoTo version but
I'm not sure I'm interested in that (I'll proabably get it if it fits
the final budget). They a

a. 8 inch Newtonian Reflector.

b. 8 inch SCT

c. 9 1/4 inch SCT.

d. 10 inch Newtonian Reflector.

All of the above fit into my budget and I am going to do a fit test on
the 10 inch refractor (the 45 inch length is going to be close).
Without starting a firstorm on SCT vs. Reflector, I would appreciate
experiences/opinions on the following:

1. Optical Problems with these. I'm especially worried about coma
with the reflectors (should I be?).

2. Ability to set up solo.

3. Dewing problems with the SCT vs. Collimation (sp?) issues with the
Reflectors.

4. Overall suitability for eventually trying to take pictures with
them.

5. Any experience or general advice related to them (and please, no
more "why don't you get a dob?" I really want something that will
track.)

Thank you all for your help. If any of you are SDAA members, I'm
planning on going to your star party this weekend so I can get some
more eyepiece time with some of these telescopes.

Mark

Old January 27th 04, 06:23 AM
CLT

Hi Mark,

a. 8 inch Newtonian Reflector.

b. 8 inch SCT

c. 9 1/4 inch SCT.

d. 10 inch Newtonian Reflector.

Good candidates.

All of the above fit into my budget and I am going to do a fit test on
the 10 inch refractor (the 45 inch length is going to be close).
Without starting a firstorm on SCT vs. Reflector,

Too late! ;-)

1. Optical Problems with these. I'm especially worried about coma
with the reflectors (should I be?).

8" f/5 and 10" f/4.7? Yes, you will have some coma. You mentioned it being
able to grow with you. You can add a coma corrector later. I the meantime,
I'd suggest seeing if someone local has a fast dob you can look through and
see how much it bothers you. It depends on what you want to look at. With
the drives, you can keep planets etc in the sweet spot.

2. Ability to set up solo.

How big are you?

3. Dewing problems with the SCT vs. Collimation (sp?) issues with the
Reflectors.

Get a dew shield. If it is still a problem, get a dew control system.
Kendrick has been the standard, but Dew Buster looks real good. And an SCT
needs to be collimated. But you can learn how to collimate both the newt and
the SCT.

4. Overall suitability for eventually trying to take pictures with
them.

I don't photograph, so I'll keep quiet here.

5. Any experience or general advice related to them (and please, no
more "why don't you get a dob?" I really want something that will
track.)

Gee Mark, why don't you get a dob?

Either way (newt or SCT) go for the biggest you know you will use regularly.
The best scope is the one that gets used the most. But if you're just as
likely to set up a 10" newt as an 8", get the 10" if you go newt. Same with
the 9.25 over the 8" SCT.

Also, many people really prefer the 9.25" SCTs. The focal ratio of the
primary is a little longer, so the magnification of the secondary is less.
Some people swear they are consistenly better optics than the other sizes as
a result.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

************************************

Old January 27th 04, 08:17 AM
Edward Smith

All of the above fit into my budget and I am going to do a fit test on
the 10 inch refractor (the 45 inch length is going to be close).
Without starting a firstorm on SCT vs. Reflector,

Too late! ;-)

I will admit to reading every thread that has some kind of comparison
bewteen the two. Not that I understand all of the discussion points,
but I didn't want that to start all over again.

1. Optical Problems with these. I'm especially worried about coma
with the reflectors (should I be?).

8" f/5 and 10" f/4.7? Yes, you will have some coma. You mentioned it being
able to grow with you. You can add a coma corrector later. I the meantime,
I'd suggest seeing if someone local has a fast dob you can look through and
see how much it bothers you. It depends on what you want to look at. With
the drives, you can keep planets etc in the sweet spot.

There is somebody here in San Diego that has made just such an offer.

2. Ability to set up solo.

How big are you?

5' 10". Not in great shape but I have no problem with 5 mile hikes in
the hills and lifting the occasional bag of fertilizer or concrete.

3. Dewing problems with the SCT vs. Collimation (sp?) issues with the
Reflectors.

Get a dew shield. If it is still a problem, get a dew control system.
Kendrick has been the standard, but Dew Buster looks real good. And an SCT
needs to be collimated. But you can learn how to collimate both the newt and
the SCT.

From what I understand, the Reflectors need to be collimated regularly
(maybe even before every viewing) and you need to work on both the
primary and secondary (although just the primary regularly). What I
read made it sound like the SCT's needed collimation occasionally.
I'm sure experience will teach me the truth.