PN Abell 78

Old April 7th 15, 08:35 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default PN Abell 78

Abell 78 AKA PNG 081.2-14.9 and PK 081-14.1 (among many aliases) is a blue planetary nebula in eastern Cygnus. The only distance estimate I found for it puts it some 700 parsec's from us +/- 125 parsecs. It's usually imaged in narrow band using OIII and H alpha. Since most of its light is OIII and I don't currently have that filter I stuck to pure LRGB imaging. I found the H alpha so weak it barely showed in the data. Certainly adding no red to the final image. Papers indicate it is interacting with the interstellar medium it is flying through or is the medium flying through it? This may account for its squashed shape of the OIII ring. Other papers say the core region is severely lacking in Hydrogen but the outer regions have a normal level. The central star is quite bright compared to the very faint one in Abell 80 I posted just before this.

Post edited to remove an advertising link it inserted into my post.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL78_L7X10RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	5625  Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL78_L7X10RGB2X10R-CROP125.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	5626

Last edited by WA0CKY : April 7th 15 at 08:47 AM.
Old April 8th 15, 09:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great image Rick.
Abell 78 and 79 are among my favourite planetary nebulae.

Stefan

--
WA0CKY

PN Abell 80 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 April 8th 15 09:51 PM
ASTRO: Abell 81 the northern most Abell planetary nebula Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 2 March 3rd 14 08:25 PM
Abell 74 - PNe in Vul Anthony Ayiomamitis[_1_] Amateur Astronomy 4 August 26th 11 08:46 AM
ASTRO: PK 59-18.1 AKA Abell 72 Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 5 June 1st 10 09:58 PM
ASTRO: Abell 72 Stefan Lilge Astro Pictures 1 December 22nd 08 06:04 AM