Gamma-ray burst could kill off ocean life

Old July 25th 10, 03:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Gamma-ray burst could kill off ocean life

Gamma-ray burst could kill off ocean life
Jul 23, 2010
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/43330

"A cosmic gamma-ray burst striking the Earth could be harmful to ocean
plankton at depths of up to 75 m, according to a team of Cuban
researchers. These organisms account for up to 40% of the ocean's
photosynthesis, so such an event could have a serious impact on Earth's
carbon dioxide levels".

"Gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are the most luminous electromagnetic events
known to occur in the universe, releasing up to 1044 J of gamma-ray
energy in a narrow beam over several seconds. They come in two types,
long and short, with the former the most common and thought to be caused
by the core-collapse of a supernova. To date the GRBs observed have been
in distant galaxies and not our own Milky Way. However, some researchers
believe that a GRB was responsible for the Ordovician mass extinction
approximately 450 million years ago".

See: http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/43330
Old July 25th 10, 05:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jul 24, 7:43*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
[...]

How much gamma did we get from Sirius(B)?

~ BG
Old July 25th 10, 06:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics,alt.astronomy
[email protected]

[...]

nightbat

Not to worry Sam my researched Red Halo bacteria can take
what ever the cosmos has to dish out and the crystal properties could
be directed to Uncle Al for investigation how exactly the Red Halo
uses salt crystal to defuse any harmful effects away for survival.

the nightbat
Old July 25th 10, 07:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Chris.B[_2_]

On Jul 25, 6:04*am, Brad Guth wrote:

How much gamma did we get from Sirius(B)?

It's a bit late to be contacting the ambulance chasers now.
Old July 25th 10, 09:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Quadibloc

On Jul 24, 8:43*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

"A cosmic gamma-ray burst striking the Earth could be harmful to ocean
plankton at depths of up to 75 m, according to a team of Cuban
researchers. These organisms account for up to 40% of the ocean's
photosynthesis, so such an event could have a serious impact on Earth's
carbon dioxide levels".

Is this a hypothetical gamma ray burst, or one alleged to be currently
in progress?

Gamma rays of such intensity as to kill off plankton at depths of over
200 feet... while they would clearly have serious consequences for the
Earth's ecology as a whole, leading to poorer recovery then after such
mere bagatelles by comparison as the Cretaceous-Tertiary event, this
difference would be of an academic nature to the human race, as
radiation of such intensity would exterminate it.

Of course, if the burst is brief enough, there would always be
survivors on the opposite side of the Earth - meaning _less_ impact on
the diversity of life than an asteroid extinction event, since
lifeforms at every level of the ecology would survive, not just the
smallest ones.

But even then, if it was currently happening, I think we'd notice.

John Savard
Old July 25th 10, 02:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 7/24/10 11:04 PM, Brad Guth wrote:
How much gamma did we get from Sirius(B)?

You do know that Sirius B is a white dwarf and not a black
hole, Right?
Old July 25th 10, 07:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
palsing[_2_]

On Jul 25, 6:05*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 7/24/10 11:04 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

How much gamma did we get from Sirius(B)?

* *You do know that Sirius B is a white dwarf and not a black
* *hole, Right?

And, just to be clear, this means that Sirius B was never a
supernova...

\Paul A
Old July 25th 10, 09:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jul 24, 11:13*pm, "Chris.B" wrote:
On Jul 25, 6:04*am, Brad Guth wrote:

How much gamma did we get from Sirius(B)?

It's a bit late to be contacting the ambulance chasers now.

In other words, you still don't have a clue.

~ BG
Old July 25th 10, 09:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jul 25, 6:05*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 7/24/10 11:04 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

How much gamma did we get from Sirius(B)?

* *You do know that Sirius B is a white dwarf and not a black
* *hole, Right?

It was nearby when its helium flashover took place.

Are you suggesting that a powerful nova is not gamma worthy?

~ BG
Old July 25th 10, 09:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jul 25, 11:58*am, palsing wrote:
On Jul 25, 6:05*am, Sam Wormley wrote:

On 7/24/10 11:04 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

How much gamma did we get from Sirius(B)?

* *You do know that Sirius B is a white dwarf and not a black
* *hole, Right?

And, just to be clear, this means that Sirius B was never a
supernova...

\Paul A

The original mass of Sirius(B) was likely less than 10 Ms, and as a
result it didn't live very long before going postal.

~ BG