EVA toolkit loss

Old November 19th 08, 01:54 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default EVA toolkit loss

http://www.newsday.com/services/news...,2464848.story
Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper (by God, now _that's_ a name, isn't it? I
can't even pronounce the middle part) is probably going to catch hell
for not having the toolkit properly tethered to her...but if I was
EVAing and something inside my toolkit exploded, my first instinct would
be to toss that SOB as far away as possible as fast as possible. And if
it was tethered to me, I'd immediately release the tether on it.
Next question... is the toolkit going to get into some sort of odd orbit
that brings it back near the ISS from time to time?
They may want to fly it into the shuttle cargo bay (or grab it with the
Remote Manipulator Arm) and retrieve it before reentry.

Pat
Old November 19th 08, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
John[_3_]

On Nov 19, 11:59*am, OM wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:54:47 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper (by God, now _that's_ a name, isn't it? I
can't even pronounce the middle part) is probably going to catch hell
for not having the toolkit properly tethered to her.

...What *is* it with women and their purses, anyway? :-P

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *OM

--

* ]=====================================[
* ] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [

OOOOoohhhhhh man . .. you better duck . . . and duck low

:)
Old November 19th 08, 07:43 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

John wrote:
...What *is* it with women and their purses, anyway? :-P

OOOOoohhhhhh man . .. you better duck . . . and duck low

:)

Men are far more likely to misplace something they own, like a lighter
or some-such, than women are are to misplace something like their
purse... which, based on personally observed evidence and examination,
contains apparently the entire secret personality of them in its
contents. :-)

pat
Old November 19th 08, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 19, 4:54 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.newsday.com/services/news...wednesday/nati...
Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper (by God, now _that's_ a name, isn't it? I
can't even pronounce the middle part) is probably going to catch hell
for not having the toolkit properly tethered to her...but if I was
EVAing and something inside my toolkit exploded, my first instinct would
be to toss that SOB as far away as possible as fast as possible. And if
it was tethered to me, I'd immediately release the tether on it.
Next question... is the toolkit going to get into some sort of odd orbit
that brings it back near the ISS from time to time?
They may want to fly it into the shuttle cargo bay (or grab it with the
Remote Manipulator Arm) and retrieve it before reentry.

Pat

Another example of NASA's total ignorance and utter lack of training
or much less proven EVA expertise, that which can't be bothered having
a string attached to anything, or much less a fishing pole or tether
gun with its line and hooks for easily getting lose stuff back.

Knowing our NASA, that string would probably cost us tens of millions
in R&D plus another $Million/inch.

~ BG
Old November 19th 08, 08:51 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

On Nov 19, 7:54*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.newsday.com/services/news...wednesday/nati...
Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper (by God, now _that's_ a name, isn't it? I
can't even pronounce the middle part) is probably going to catch hell
for not having the toolkit properly tethered to her...but if I was
EVAing and something inside my toolkit exploded, my first instinct would
be to toss that SOB as far away as possible as fast as possible. And if
it was tethered to me, I'd immediately release the tether on it.
Next question... is the toolkit going to get into some sort of odd orbit
that brings it back near the ISS from time to time?
They may want to fly it into the shuttle cargo bay (or grab it with the
Remote Manipulator Arm) and retrieve it before reentry.

Pat

Well, that bag containing important tools for the Solar Alpha Rotary
Joint is....Space History.
She will catch some flak from management (privately) for a serious
breach of EVA protocol.
Since this is her second flight (When she returned from her first
flight she passed out in public twice)
it will most likely be her last.
Old November 19th 08, 11:22 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

I wonder how much that bit of carelessness cost us taxpayers...

I don't mind my tax $$ being spent for something that's needed and I
can understand an accident or emergency, but I do mind it being thrown
away by someone who's lazy or just stupidly careless. And you know all
of those tools were custom-made at a $Million each...
Old November 19th 08, 11:30 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
I wonder how much that bit of carelessness cost us taxpayers...

I don't mind my tax $$ being spent for something that's needed and I
can understand an accident or emergency, but I do mind it being thrown
away by someone who's lazy or just stupidly careless. And you know all
of those tools were custom-made at a $Million each...

You're exaggerating. The loss of a few tools is unfortunate, but people do
make mistakes. Someone forgot to fasten the toolkit inside the tool bag,
which was a mess because of a leaky grease gun.

Jeff
--
beb - To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, reality has an anti-Ares I bias.

Old November 20th 08, 12:42 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 19, 11:51 am, M wrote:
[...]

Why don't we just set her adrift, making no effort to retrieve, and
blame it on something else that's bogus and supposedly entirely
unavoidable?

~ BG
Old November 20th 08, 02:02 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Neil Gerace

On Nov 20, 1:59*am, OM wrote:

...What *is* it with women and their purses, anyway? :-P

If it was a tool box, that opens up a whole other can of
connotations
Old November 20th 08, 03:04 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:02:34 -0800 (PST), Neil Gerace
wrote:

On Nov 20, 1:59*am, OM wrote:

...What *is* it with women and their purses, anyway? :-P

If it was a tool box, that opens up a whole other can of
connotations

"...This portion of our program tonight is brought to you by Strap-On
Tools."

OM
--

EVA toolkit loss Pat Flannery Policy 24 December 1st 08 03:04 PM
A.I.D.S. Toolkit Bias Patrick Ashley Meuser\-Bianca\ SETI 1 June 6th 06 02:42 AM
ANN: Release of LunarPhase Pro V2.42 [Moon Observer's Toolkit] [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 January 8th 06 09:43 PM
ANN: Release of LunarPhase Pro V2.30 [Moon Observer's Toolkit] [email protected] UK Astronomy 0 August 15th 05 08:39 PM
Tectron Toolkit Distributor in the UK Neil Morley UK Astronomy 2 July 15th 04 08:19 PM