ASTRO: Jupiter 8-26 Europa transit image/animation

Old August 27th 08, 12:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J. Warren

Default ASTRO: Jupiter 8-26 Europa transit image/animation

I've attached on image along with an animation. I'm not sure if this is my
best result of Jupiter, but I'm really pleased with the sharpness and the
processing in these in regards to the noise, color etc. Notice how the
shadows shape is a bit oblong in the last frame of the animation and the
single image I posted. It is due to the curvature of the planet.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-26europa.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	2155
Old August 27th 08, 01:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Oh my!! that's bad !! ;)

I like how you are able to keep the moon in the image without blowing
out Jupiter. Thats a delicate balance I would think. I can't do that
with the Celestron modified webcam.

- thanks for sharing - Rod
-ps - not only are we dealing with the curvature of the shadows cast on
the planet but we are getting past opposition and those shadows of
Jupiter are also becoming evident, and you show that expertly as well!!.

Old August 27th 08, 02:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J. Warren

Thanks Rod. I just went back and reprocessed everything. I have a bad
habit of doing that. What is it called? Obsessive compulsive disorder?
I think this animation is quite a bit better with the reprocessed images. I
also did the animation a bit differently as a challenge and practice (since
I'm teaching myself how to do them).

Old August 27th 08, 02:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Hi - that's not a bad habit - I throw babies out with the bath water at
least a dozen times before noon ;)!!
However, you must have a hell of a computer to run everything and
reprocess everything that quickly.

- still catching my breath - Rod
grin

Old August 27th 08, 02:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

PS - I like the effect of not showing Jupiter with it's equator squared
to the left and right of the image. I think this presentation of yours
gives a better 3D effect imho.

Old August 27th 08, 04:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

J. Warren wrote:

Thanks Rod. I just went back and reprocessed everything. I have a bad
habit of doing that. What is it called? Obsessive compulsive disorder?
I think this animation is quite a bit better with the reprocessed
images. I also did the animation a bit differently as a challenge and
practice (since I'm teaching myself how to do them).

Nicely done. How do you process the frames so equally? Seems I can't
do two the same even if I start with the same data!

Rick

Old August 27th 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J. Warren

Thanks Rick. Well, my camera settings stay the same for each shot. I do
try to readjust focus after each sequence though. I process each sequence
exactly the same, but due to seeing, sometimes I have to make minor
adjustments to color and gamma to get them to match, but not much. I
typically open each image in the same window of Paint Shop Pro and compare
them It is easier to tell which ones could stand a bit more sharpening that
way. Once I have them to what I think is close, I'll put them all in one
folder and hit "preview", scrolling through each one, in the correct order.
Kind of a poor man's animation trick. It is at this time that you will
really be able to tell which ones you need to adjust the gamma and color on
to get them to match. Go back, make the adjustment, save it and preview
them again. Once I have that done, I then make the gif. Thanks again.

Joel

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
ster.com...

Old August 29th 08, 08:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J. Warren

Default ASTRO: Question for you guys, help..

In the animation and images I sent, are you guys seeing a blue halo around
Jupiter? I did not see it on 2 out of 3 computers that I own, but know that
some others did in the Cloudy Nights forum. I'm just wondering if ya'll saw
it too. Thanks...

Joel

Old August 29th 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

J. Warren wrote:
In the animation and images I sent, are you guys seeing a blue halo
around Jupiter? I did not see it on 2 out of 3 computers that I own,
but know that some others did in the Cloudy Nights forum. I'm just
wondering if ya'll saw it too. Thanks...

Joel

Not on my internet computer but it has the worst monitor. I didn't move
it to the computer with the CRT I use for image processing. It sees
much better into the shadows.

Rick

Old August 30th 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Hi - On a couple of frames on the animation I can see something on the
left side of Jupiter that might get interpreted as a blue arc but not a
halo. I am not on my best monitors right now - I need to bring it out
the old gals back out ... I'm viewing your images on an old View Sonic
19" CRT; I have a classic Samsung 19" CRT and even older Sony Trinitron
21" (mass roughly equals one neutron star ;)

ttyl - Rod