astro: display brightness?

Old June 26th 08, 03:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Default astro: display brightness?

on my monitor, with room light off or on, a b & c look the same and x y
& z look the same. can I get some feedback on what you see?
--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grayscale.gif
Views:	356
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	1985
Old June 26th 08, 03:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

John N. Gretchen III wrote:
on my monitor, with room light off or on, a b & c look the same and x y
& z look the same. can I get some feedback on what you see?

On my CRT processing monitor all are easily seen. On the LCD monitor of
my internet computer Y and Z are nearly but not quite identical. A and
B are totally saturated. I see a very small change in C. This is after
many attempts to get it better that have failed over the years. The CRT
is 7 years old and the LCD 7.5 years old so neither are today's state of
the art. Though I expect CRT's stopped evolving years ago. I've been
wanting to replace the LCD but those that can equal the CRT seem to
still cost over $1000 so it hasn't happened as yet.

Rick

Old June 26th 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

John N. Gretchen III wrote:
on my monitor, with room light off or on, a b & c look the same and x y
& z look the same. can I get some feedback on what you see?

26 shades, hey, my crt is not as bad as I thought!!
(BENC CRT,V773)
Old June 26th 08, 04:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

My Sony LCD shows clear diff for each... and A is White and Z is black.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
m...

Old June 26th 08, 04:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:

My Sony LCD shows clear diff for each... and A is White and Z is black.

Which one is it? I've tried many to no avail. Sounds like you found
one that will work.

Rick

Old June 26th 08, 05:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

It's model SDM-HS95P DVI-D

This monitor is okay but it is sensitive to the vertical angle of the screen
face and your eye... the dark backgrounds change quite a lot with just a bit
of angle change.... It will tilt easily so I do adjust the tilt to keep my
line of sight perpendicular to the screen face.... and try not to slouch!

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...

Old June 26th 08, 05:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:
It's model SDM-HS95P DVI-D

This monitor is okay but it is sensitive to the vertical angle of the screen
face and your eye... the dark backgrounds change quite a lot with just a bit
of angle change.... It will tilt easily so I do adjust the tilt to keep my
line of sight perpendicular to the screen face.... and try not to slouch!

That sounds like the screen on my imaging laptop. I plug it into a CRT
for image processing due to this problem -- and it can't begin to
reproduce even 16 greyscale levels let alone 26. Early on when I tried
to use the LCD I found myself trying to take out non existent gradients
at the bottom of the screen. Due to a nerve disease I do slowly slouch
with time. Looks like I'll be using that space hog, and super heavy (73
lb.) 21" CRT for a while longer.

Rick

Old June 26th 08, 05:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Milton Aupperle

In article , John N.
Gretchen III wrote:

on my monitor, with room light off or on, a b & c look the same and x y
& z look the same. can I get some feedback on what you see?

Hi John;

I'm on a Mac using a 1 year old SamSung Wide Screen 17" LCD 1449 x
900 pixels and each A to Z tone is distinctly different.

HTH.

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html
Old June 26th 08, 06:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Milton Aupperle wrote:
In article , John N.
Gretchen III wrote:

on my monitor, with room light off or on, a b & c look the same and x y
& z look the same. can I get some feedback on what you see?

Hi John;

I'm on a Mac using a 1 year old SamSung Wide Screen 17" LCD 1449 x
900 pixels and each A to Z tone is distinctly different.

HTH.

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html

That's my other complaint. Wide screens are fine for HD movies but when
your images are 2004 by 1336 in size and a 21" CRT at 1600x1200 can't
handle the image today's wide screens really fail to impress me. The
only ones I've found that can handle my image aspect ratio and all the
image at full scale cost over what I'm willing to pay. Found a nice one
at $2100 I'd love but I can't justify it at that price. I keep hoping
they'll come down but not likely as they are a niche market while HD and
its aspect ratio holds center stage today.

Rick