ASTRO: M42 and a meteor?

Old January 19th 08, 10:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M42 and a meteor? - meteor.bmp (0/1)

You got the GOES Sat. I see all the time in M-42.
That's it...
You can also go to www.heavens-above.com
If you have the exact time and date you see what Sat. it was...

"Gordan" wrote in message
Rick,
I enhanced the original frame and marked the "meteor" ("start" and "end"
may be reverse, off course). The frame was taken on January, 8th at 20:01
UT, exposure time was 13 seconds (@ ISO 800, F/5). Now I see that
brightness of the trail is very uniform and I assume that it is probably a
satellite, not a meteor. But, now a second question arises: what satellite
makes such a short trail in 13 seconds? By my estimation the trail is only
about 6 arc minutes long. Maybe the satellite is very high...
Thanks for comments!
Gordan

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
I tried enhancing the photo and can't find what you describe at all.
Can your repost it with it marked?

As I mentioned before it would be highly unlikely that it is a meteor.
Satellite yes, they are very common but meteors are extremely rare on
narrow angle shots. The angle you describe, if you rotate your shot so
north is up wouldn't be too far off from the angle a Russian eastern
launched satellite would cross the image. A bit too steep as described.
Since I can't see anything other than parts of the nebula itself that
fits your description I'm lost without a guide to point it to me.

Sounds like your news provider is blocking image posts if none are
getting through. You need to look for a provider that doesn't block
them.

Rick

Gordan wrote:

Hi, Bob,
sorry, I don't see your image in this newsgroup (meteor.bump). Do you
know
why? There are a lot more images sent by others that I cannot see, I see
just " ASTRO: ..." to that posts and I don't see the posts with
images (I
see some of them, but not all). Why?
The "meteor" trail on my image is very faint and it's located just a
little
bit to the right from the center of the image, at the angle of 80
degrees
roughly (direction from "1" to "7" on the clock). It passes just over a
star
near the middle of it's trail.
Tnx,
Gordan
"Robert Price" wrote in message

Gordon,

is the meteor indicated by the arrow on this redo of your image?

Bob

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:54:00 +0100, "Gordan"
wrote:

Is there a meteor on this shot?
The core of M42, 15% crop fro original, taken on January, 08. 2008.
from
Cakovec, Croatia.
GSO Newtonian 200 mm F/5, prime focus through Baader MPCC, EQ6 Synscan
pro
mount.
7 subframes, 110 sec total exposure @ ISO 800 (Canon EOS 350 D).
Processed in DSS, Neat Image and PS7.
Greetings to all,
Gordan

Old January 19th 08, 04:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

It definitely is a highly inclined polar satellite, not a meteor or
geostationary satellite. It could be a piece of orbiting junk but I
doubt it, its intensity is very steady and junk usually varies as it
tumbles. Faint meteors normally also so variation of intensity not seen
here. The only intensity variation I see is caused by the combined
light of it and the nebula. The reason it starts and ends at the nebula
is it was too faint to register until its light was added to that of the
nebula behind it. Its intensity goes up and down with the intensity of
the nebula's intensity and is below your dark threshold outside the
nebula. A typical satellite will easily cross the entire fov in 13
seconds and a lot more. It only appears short due to its faintness.

Rick

Old January 19th 08, 09:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Geoff[_4_]

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 06:54:42 -0500, Robert Price
wrote:

this is posted with Agent 2.0/32.

Both versions were encoded the same and were viewable here.
(UUEncoded)

Gordan is using Outlook Express, I'm not sure why he couldn't view it.
..bmp is Windows bitmap, OE should have no problems with it.
If he still can't view it I recommend you convert the bitmap to JPG
and send that.

Old January 21st 08, 09:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: M42 and a meteor?

"G" wrote
Just a few weeks ago looking at M-42 me and another observer. Saw Five,
yes FIVE Sat's trailing one another right behind each other......

I believe what you saw is a "constellation" of US Navy synthetic aperture
radar sats that look for submarines under water.

George N

Meteor colin.petterson1 UK Astronomy 2 December 11th 05 09:39 AM
Meteor over the M4 Barns UK Astronomy 7 January 23rd 05 07:57 PM
Meteor again... Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 7 December 2nd 04 10:57 AM
Meteor Tony Vinci Satellites 0 September 26th 03 04:21 AM
Meteor? Alwyn Williams UK Astronomy 4 August 18th 03 04:20 PM