ASTRO: Jupiter 8-26 Europa transit image/animation

Old August 30th 08, 03:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Default ASTRO: Question for you guys, help..

Ok Joel - I can see it - I downloaded you gif file and messed around
with it in Corel Photopaint. If I increase the brightness I see the
ring you are referring too. What I was seeing in my earlier post is not
related this ring. There are a ton of artifacts in my images when I
really "mess" with them but I go for my best balance on my equipment. I
tend to work on images in a dark room at night and this affects the what
I post and keep.

However, I've never seen a ring around Jupiter in my images like this
one. I'm not saying that I don't have them, I am saying I've never seen
them. Something for me to do this weekend!!

I'm attaching a repost of your gif file with the brightness turned
hideously up. I hope you forgive me.

- take care and let us hope Gustav will just fall apart - Rod

rod wrote:
Hi - On a couple of frames on the animation I can see something on the
left side of Jupiter that might get interpreted as a blue arc but not a
halo. I am not on my best monitors right now - I need to bring it out
the old gals back out ... I'm viewing your images on an old View Sonic
19" CRT; I have a classic Samsung 19" CRT and even older Sony Trinitron
21" (mass roughly equals one neutron star ;)

ttyl - Rod

J. Warren wrote:
In the animation and images I sent, are you guys seeing a blue halo
around Jupiter? I did not see it on 2 out of 3 computers that I own,
but know that some others did in the Cloudy Nights forum. I'm just
wondering if ya'll saw it too. Thanks...

Joel

Old August 30th 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price[_2_]

Yes I can easily see it on my ViewSonic 19 inch wide flat screen LCD.
It seems to intensify with the more exposed frames.

Robert Price

Old August 30th 08, 05:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

yes, I see it
samsung cx2232gw digital on NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS
calibrated w/ pantone huey v1.0

--
John N. Gretchen III
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old August 30th 08, 08:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J. Warren

Thank you all. I believe I have corrected it with the attached gif. Now
I'm trying to determine how much differently everyone else is seeing what I
see. Besides the blue halo, did the images look OK? I can see a bit of
overexposed brightness near the center, but I would consider these pretty
good results. Does the color, contrast, brightness etc look OK? Please
don't worry about hurting my feelings! I'm going to get some monitor
calibration software soon.

Old August 31st 08, 04:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Hi J. - Your animations are infinitely better than any of mine ;).
Since you've asked for scrutiny .... besides Jupiter itself I began to
focus on the moon which in your animation on my screen slowly fades and
slightly reddens. Maybe that is natural but this is something I
noticed. Perhaps when available you might want to balance the color and
intensity of an available moon. But as I said before, I tend to work in
a dark room and so my monitors are rarely set to daytime standards. I
did not see that halo until I really ramped up the brightness and intensity.

BTW - you've inspired me to move my best monitors, the old Samsung
19 and an older Sony 21 Trinitron onto my main table this weekend. I'll
probably crush the table under the weight!!

Please let me (and the newsgroup) know about what you learn about your
monitor calibration. I am very interested in the subject.

BTW - power is still on, the center major Hurricane Gustav is a mere 150
miles from my position right now. I'm in between rain bands right now.

- Rod

Old August 31st 08, 05:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J. Warren

Thanks Rod! I might be wrong, but I think in regards to the moon changing
in each frame, it has to do with the brightness of Jupiter effecting the
moon as it moves away from Jupiter. The closer it is to Jupiter, the more
it brightens up the moon, the further it moves away, the dimmer it gets.
Each frame was processed the same and captured with the same settings on the
camera, so that is the only thing I can think that would change it. Darned
if I know though. Good thing Gustav is going to miss you! Not so good for
LA though.

m...

Old August 31st 08, 06:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Hi J. - yes I thought of that too (the distance to the moon and it's
brightness and color) - I just doubt that the brightness would change
THAT much (after all we are talking about distance from the Earth to
Jupiter) the but that is an "armchair" opinion that I would happily
abandon. That would be great if our cameras were that sensitive. There
is probably enough high quality amateur images of Jupiter to test this
idea (that our cameras detect changes in brightness in the moons in
their orbits).

One thing is certain - your images are consistent with a moon receding
from earth. If the change change in color and brightness is real, I
would say you have made a truly interesting discovery.

- take care - yes Gustav is a potential mess. I have hope that it will
track to to the west of New Orleans and that it will weaken. We are
overcast right now but I could see a few stars a hour ago.

- Rod

J. Warren wrote:
Thanks Rod! I might be wrong, but I think in regards to the moon
changing in each frame, it has to do with the brightness of Jupiter
effecting the moon as it moves away from Jupiter. The closer it is to
Jupiter, the more it brightens up the moon, the further it moves away,
the dimmer it gets. Each frame was processed the same and captured with
the same settings on the camera, so that is the only thing I can think
that would change it. Darned if I know though. Good thing Gustav is
going to miss you! Not so good for LA though.

m...