ASTRO: Completely OT but kind of fun....

Old October 13th 07, 06:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

Default ASTRO: Completely OT but kind of fun....

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:40:03 GMT, Ergonaut
wrote:

"Richard Crisp" wrote in
:

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Richard Crisp" wrote

an honest 140,,,

At least there's no chromatic "abhoration"... maybe just a
couple of G's.

not so sure of the chromatic "abhoration": here it is in
color....

Again this was taken way back when: maybe in late '99. It was
before the aero kit and the rear quarter panel airscoops were
installed.....

begin 666 le_grand_derrierre.JPG

Attachment decoded: le_grand_derrierre.JPG
`
end

expect a ticket in the mail-dumbass

Grow up.
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

"One dies in Istanbul suicide attack"
Old October 13th 07, 06:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

I have a crinkled (accident damage) bonnet. It doesn't bounce radar
at all - kinda like the radar-proof aircraft. I might have to keep it
this way!

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:45:37 GMT, "Richard Crisp"
wrote:

looks good, looks fast. Red is always good for another 10mph: at least
that's what the cop with the radar gun thinks :-)

"Jan Owen" wrote in message
The Mustang...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3
http://community.webshots.com/user/janowen21
"Jan Owen" wrote in message
md wrote in message .. .
"Richard Crisp" schreef in bericht
t...
an honest 140,,,

OT indeed.....

OT even worse...

My previous hot rod (Mustang with a *few* modifications) could do that
(and
slightly more - like 145) in fourth gear with no problems, and with
another
gear to go... My current Dodge Dakota with a few *mods* is fast, too,
but
not up to the Mustang... Makes all the same noises and sensations (well
not
like the late sixties top fueler at ALL, but still fun), but for sure not
as
fast...

Of course, I've seen 236+ on certified Chrondek timers in another vehicle
long ago (and backed up with another run within the required 2%), so even
THAT's not really fast...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail
address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3
http://community.webshots.com/user/janowen21

--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

____
/\ \
/ \ \
/ \ \
/ \ \
/ /\ \ \
/ / \ \ \
/ / \ \ \
/ / / \ \ \
/ / / \ \ \
/ / /---------' \
/ / /_______________\
\ / /
\/_____________________/
Old October 14th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:56:01 -0700, "Richard Crisp"
wrote:

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Richard Crisp" wrote

an honest 140,,,

At least there's no chromatic "abhoration"... maybe just a couple of
G's.

not so sure of the chromatic "abhoration": here it is in color....

Again this was taken way back when: maybe in late '99. It was before the
aero kit and the rear quarter panel airscoops were installed.....

You don't need that to do 140mph. I did 140mph in a rented Renault
Laguna.

I agree. It will go a lot faster but I wasn't willing to do that on a public
road.

The owner's manual says 173mph but I am skeptical it will make it that far.
Maybe 165 though: it clearly had a lot of "punch" left in it. It got to 140
pretty quick but I wasn't measuring that: too busy watching for cops :-)

I took the 928 to top speed once (the 6.5L stroker motor). That was an
honest gps confirmed 172mph. It sure took a long time to get that last 10
mph out of it as I recall. I do have that gauge shot somewhere but I think
it is on a SCSI drive that I need to install an adaptor in the current
machine in order to read :-(

It seemed kind of cool to have a gauge shot at a paltry 140 in the carrera
in any event.

--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs
the national grid?
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Confucius say: "Boy who go to sleep with stiff problem wake up with
solution in hand."

Old October 15th 07, 05:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jerry warner[_8_]

Better shift out of second !

Richard Crisp wrote:

an honest 140,,,

[Image]

Old October 24th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Nunya Bizness" wrote in message
Richard Crisp wrote:
an honest 140,,,

Can we assume that this was done on the relative safety of a track? Doing
that kind of speed on public roads is irresponsible at best.

how about a public road that was closed by the highway department for a
legally sanctioned race?

Old October 24th 07, 05:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
an honest 140,,,

Can we assume that this was done on the relative safety of a track?
Doing that kind of speed on public roads is irresponsible at best.

how about a public road that was closed by the highway department for a
legally sanctioned race?

That's cool. It's just that we had some mush-head doing 110 on I-77 in
Charlotte, NC who flew over the center divider and killed two people who
were doing nothing more than trying to get from Point A to Point B.

As a physicist, I have an appreciation for why speed limits exist. There's
a lot of research into human reaction time, frictional coefficients and so
on that make sense when you get a large group of people trying to get to
different locations.

As it is, you posed no threat to public traffic. Because there was little
likelihood of unexpected construction, an unforeseen lane change or things
of that nature, there was little threat to you or the other racers.

It's the brainless dolts who seem to act like there's nobody out on the
streets but them and that speed limits are only there to keep them from
getting where they're going that get my blood boiling.

OK... back to the astro pics.

well in the 928 I took my 172mph gauge page just that way: on the highway
between Austin and Battle Mountain, Nevada. That was the Rodger Ward Pony
Express II back in 2000. If i remember correctly it was Nevada highway 383
but it has been a long time ago.

For the 911 140mph photo above it was actually on a public road on a regular
day but no one was the empty highway. We have a lot of empty highways out
west. I've driven in the SE and I can see what you mean about the brainless
dolts on the roads there. It amazes me when I drive I10 from New Orleans to
Pensacola how idiotically people drive there; driving three abreast with
people tailgating. Nuts those people are....

Old October 26th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

Richard Crisp wrote:
[...]

The problem is the people doing the speed limit. If everyone was
going 100mph there would be no collisions. BTW most accidents happen
under 10mph.
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

Men, here's a tip for dealing with the little lady.
If you upset your wife or girlfriend then she will nag you.
However, if you upset her EVEN MORE, you will get the silent treatment.